• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 2005 Yukon XL

The Yukon is still motoring right along nights/weekends (when I am not in my work truck). Slowly making progress on the plow stuff, still no luck on a wiring harness.

On a side note I am getting a little better on my welding. Still to fast in this one after I got the puddle going, but of course it took doing 4 of these to start a decent line (struggled for settings the first few). I am mimicking Fishers hardware kit for the bracketry. I used Fishers recommended grade hardware 5's and 8's (I was surprised on the 5's!). These are to reach through the box frame for the rear 4 mount points.
20230531_124857.jpg
20230531_124944.jpg

Trying to drum up side projects while at work over lunch to avoid working through my lunches as that seems to be the normal thing. Turned to the junkyard cab lights that are oxidized horribly.

Got the first one (middle) sanded with 800-grit:
20230606_125938.jpg

After sanding them all with 800-grit, I still had imperfections. Stepped down to 600-grit and did them all again. Better but not perfect, good enough for who it's for.
20230606_132600.jpg

I need to obtain some 1800-plus grit for the final sands. Contemplating on polishing with compound and wax or to coat with clear gloss? I see people doing both on the YT now adays. I'm thinking since these are rooftop and will get pounded with sun best bet is the clear gloss.

Try using a headlight restorer kit on them?
I actually have that kit, somewhere in my basement. I got it for my mustang headlights back in college and it seemed to work well. Of coursetoday was just a spur of the moment, and I am not sure If I can even find it (after 2 moves). Maybe will go take a look tonight if the wildfire smoke doesn't knock me down first!

Harbor Freight makes a cordless drill mounted kit with 2000grit, 3000grit and finish buffing discs and buffing compound. I used it on my 2005 Camry and was able to take really yellowed glaze headlights and make them crystal clear again. To maintain them, every 3-4 months I just use an old tube sock and some of Simonize's headlight restore polish to remove any begining glaze from the headlights and keep them crystal clear.

Kept at the lights. Went to my local HF as I couldn't find my headlight kit. They ended up sold out. So I just purchased some 1200 grit, and 2000 grit paper. Sanded them up real nice, slapped a real light coat of clearcoat, then one a bit thicker. Currently drying:
20230615_122326.jpg
Thinking about adding 1 more coat to them and then waxing for some additional protection. They do have some orange peel but you will never notice it from the ground. Just looking for max longevity. Also pulled out the harness for inspection. I will admit I was darn near numb at the JY over the winter removing these, so I was yanking on the harness a lot to pull out of the dash. Will need to confirm no breaks and do a continuity test:
20230615_122015.jpg

Just collected my last wiring harnesses for the Fisher HT plow install. Got a few fair deals on eBay for the main power and the headlight adapter. Just need to get the time to start installing before the snow flies.

Zero progress on the plow. It's been upper 80s here which is crazy for this time of year, I'll pass on sweating while installing this stuff. So stuck with an easy project. Got the mic mount installed on the console. Tired of the mic sitting in the console. Would have done it on the driver's side but the plow controller will be going there.
20231004_161509.jpg

Until the Cold Front came through at 8:00 last night and dropped the temperature from 90° to 68° and dumped 1.58" of rain in that 40 minute span with 60mph wind gusts and up to .75" hail, it had been low to mid 90's here the past five days, VERY unseasonably warm (about 18° above average warm) for this time of the year.

Hey, better to do the plow mount when it's 80 out than having to do it when it's 20 and blowing snow hard!

Until the Cold Front came through at 8:00 last night and dropped the temperature from 90° to 68° and dumped 1.58" of rain in that 40 minute span with 60mph wind gusts and up to .75" hail, it had been low to mid 90's here the past five days, VERY unseasonably warm (about 18° above average warm) for this time of the year.

Hey, better to do the plow mount when it's 80 out than having to do it when it's 20 and blowing snow hard!
That front hits us hard Saturday, then 50's and 60's for the next week. Supposed to be a utter washout this weekend.

Yeah, the radar showed that storm line, 40-80 miles wide of solid orange and red in the center, stretching from north central Minnesota down to the tip of the Oklahoma panhandle at about 7:30 last night before it swept through here.

Here, projected highs in the low 60's and an overnight low Friday night of 38.

Got the wiring mostly done. Just the turn signals and parking lights to solder in and we are ready for a test rip.

I was stumped for a few mins as I got all the wiring used. The person who took it out must have mixed up some plugs and I initially trusted they were in the right spots!
20231017_155632.jpg20231017_155627.jpg

what is that module for that sits on your fuse box?

while you have the front end apart, you might want to replace that P/S cooler with something better. on mine, that little single loop cooler did nothing to keep the fluid cool. less heat = longer life and happier parts LOL

I always go for a extra condenser fan to help the AC out in the summer too. freeze the wife out of the cab HAHA

what is that module for that sits on your fuse box?

while you have the front end apart, you might want to replace that P/S cooler with something better. on mine, that little single loop cooler did nothing to keep the fluid cool. less heat = longer life and happier parts LOL
It's the Fisher isolation module for the plow setup. It's a 2 plug fleet flex system, so I can also mount up the new HT EZV plow. May eventually sell my straight blade for one but they are $4k plus right now.

Good eye on the cooler. If you look real close you will see the bottom metal lines look wet. They a re leaking at the rubber line Clamps. I planned to replace the clamps and get a new cooler.

This is what I installed. right now it's in front of the grille zip tied to the expanded metal on the grille guard. I was too lazy to remove it and the grille to install right. honestly I put it there just as a test to see if it actually helped. it did wonders!

I had been getting somewhat stiff steering issues after about 45 minutes of driving, rigged up a digital oven temp probe to the steel line on the booster and noticed oil temps reach 180 degrees. at 170 was when the steering started getting stiffer. with the cooler added in the Texas August temps the oil stayed around 150 and no more issues :) one of these days I will pull it all apart to install in were it belongs!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back