• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 2005 Yukon XL

DieselSlug

Reaction score
Welp I ended up stumbling on this 2005 Yukon XL in SLT trim for peanuts off a young kid who used it for his transport business. With the rising duel costs he was selling to purchase a smaller van. I jumped quickly into action to get this thing ready for my trip to TN.

The day I picked it up and brought it home:
20220219_175143.jpg

Spec tag:
20220213_151907.jpg

Started replacing a whole slew of parts for piece of mind and preference:
20220225_151636.jpg

A little junkyard run for some backup pieces.
20220225_161848.jpg

A seat that's in better shape than mine for $30!
20220225_164152.jpg

Remy 160 amp alternator.
20220310_172356.jpg

New starter.
20220310_172454.jpg

No more steering rattle.
20220319_093351.jpg

Another slew of work without pictures included new sending unit, rear differential cover, the brake line that went front to back (rust behind the tank unearthed following removal), power steering pump (that I absolutely hate as its noisy as hell!) and hydrobooster.

3rd round of parts included new converters due to PO420 recurring.
20220303_094131.jpg

Tow mirrors for my camper!
20220311_153056.jpg

Free pet barrier for fuzzball
20220319_115730.jpg

Fixing of the annoying rattling glove box handle (drilled out the rivets and replaced the basket with my correct vin matched build sheet!
20220320_140747.jpg

New spare tire hoist20220330_185409.jpg

New front shocks and lower bushings
20220402_153320.jpg

Appropriate stickers
20220404_181922.jpg

To date I have put almost 6K miles on it, working on some small clunks that I still haven't fully solved. It is now fully aligned with lifetime alignment as well as new rear sway bar end links and all new sway bar bushings. Next big focus is A-Arm bushings.
20220408_095441.jpg

Had my first failure stranding me (only for 15 minutes). Blown heater hose at the crimp.
20220416_134715.jpg

As you can see in the background above I cut the other heater hose off (it was being a PITA) and looped it back to the water pump. Been driving it like this for the last few days haha. All new quick connects and hoses are ordered and should be here tomorrow.
20220416_134730.jpg

No more steering rattle.

Can you give us more info on this part/fix? Aftermarket was the fix in the past for GM's sloppy clunky feeling part.

power steering pump (that I absolutely hate as its noisy as hell!)

GM revised the PS fluid for these vehicles due to stiff steering. (2002 for sure.) What are you using for PS fluid? Maybe the revised fluid will help or you need to work on this more.

How many miles did it have when you got it?

I need to look at that steering column bearing on mine. I think that is part of the slop I feel.

there is a Firestone here in town. how well are there alignments over an old school tech that I take mine to. will they just align to the specs or do custom adjustments if after their alignment is done an some funny wandering starts happening?

most of the franchise alignment shops here in my area will charge you for an inspection of components and tell you "if" it passes inspection the charge will go towards the actual alignment. well I had taken my dodge pickup in for one, (not the Firestone place) they come out and tell me it needs gear box and ball joints, then quote me a grand to replace + cost of the alignment. I walked out and took it to where I recently got the Chevy done at (the old school tech shop) he did the alignment + tightened up the gear box and charged me $80, drove perfect afterwards. but that was years ago!

Can you give us more info on this part/fix? Aftermarket was the fix in the past for GM's sloppy clunky feeling part.

GM revised the PS fluid for these vehicles due to stiff steering. (2002 for sure.) What are you using for PS fluid? Maybe the revised fluid will help or you need to work on this more.

How many miles did it have when you got it?

I went all in and replaced the intermediate shaft as well as the plastic bearing since I was getting this involved. The shaft I purchased was a Dorman unit from Amazon. I also purchased a plastic bearing bearing that was purchased new as it felt like garbage (notchy as hell) and Dorman part numbered, however not actually a Dorman made! I ended up returning and getting the new AC Delco from RA. Once both old parts were removed the slop was definitely coming from the plastic bearing, I think the intermediate shaft was fine. The new one is a chore to get in......

To be honest I am not sure what the shop put in the PS pump as I had him install during inspection. I will have to ask. IMO it looks a tinge red, thinking ATF as I know some people do that?

It has 170K, currently 176K.

I need to look at that steering column bearing on mine. I think that is part of the slop I feel.

there is a Firestone here in town. how well are there alignments over an old school tech that I take mine to. will they just align to the specs or do custom adjustments if after their alignment is done an some funny wandering starts happening?

most of the franchise alignment shops here in my area will charge you for an inspection of components and tell you "if" it passes inspection the charge will go towards the actual alignment. well I had taken my dodge pickup in for one, (not the Firestone place) they come out and tell me it needs gear box and ball joints, then quote me a grand to replace + cost of the alignment. I walked out and took it to where I recently got the Chevy done at (the old school tech shop) he did the alignment + tightened up the gear box and charged me $80, drove perfect afterwards. but that was years ago!
Typical with a chain gang, but as long as you go in knowing what you have and what you need you can avoid it. I have yet been told any of my vehicles need something replaced, but I only take it there after I replace a key component requiring an alignment haha.

Typical with a chain gang, but as long as you go in knowing what you have and what you need you can avoid it. I have yet been told any of my vehicles need something replaced, but I only take it there after I replace a key component requiring an alignment haha.
I may try this once I get to rebuilding the other gear box I have for the Chevy and installing a new column bearing. plus I have been working on rounding up parts to fab up a intermediate shaft deleting the rag joint and using a u-joint style shaft.

still on the thinking chair for the gear box, if I should just do the rebuild and install or port it out for a steering assist. I have always thought my truck being a 2WD was a little on the stiff to steer side. It's also a little harder to push on the brake pedal too. not so much as if the P/S pump isn't working, but just tougher than what I was used to before driving a 1 ton. (everything there has been replaced)

I have gotten so used to the feel that when I get in my wifes car or my daughters and go somewhere, I step on the brake like I do in my Chevy and I'll make all the unsuspecting passengers kiss the windshield haha!

Man I hated those T fittings on mine.
I got some brass T fittings and used them. The factory ones are ok, but just plan out changing them at 15 year/150, 000 mile intervals.

Also change your a/c compressor BEFORE it goes. A couple hundred when you plan it out or over a grand if you wait. I learned those are best every 100,000 miles.

I let mine soak overnight with acetone/ATF mix and they came right out where at first they wouldn't budge

I actually took this apart a couple weeks ago and realized I didn't have the correct 55 torx bit (my kit stopped at 50). I also realized that the one in the pic was bunged real good so I knew a battle was foreseeable. I just rotated tires, changed the oil and put it back together. Last night was take 2. Knowing the stripped nature I didn't want to take a chance with penetrant on the torx portion to make it slip more. The torx bit did end up slipping right out, I am gonna guess the last person who worked on it took it apart just as I originally did so they didn't have to mess with that ugly bolt. The pads were darn near new.

Gonna need to come up with a game plan for the broken knuckle bolt now. I cobbled 2-sip ties in an x fashion for now but it will need drilling, a helicoil or tapping to the next size bigger. Crap....

Back