• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Moose Call...

Oh I forgot you live in hell and it never gets below 100 :) but if engine was cold was thinking you might need to warm up a little, if its doing it hot it shoots that theory down.

Crank over with no fuel it takes fuel system questions out of the picture. I believe I am hearing at least 1, if not more, dead cylinders.

No smoking gun under rocker cover.

head.jpg

Oh I forgot you live in hell and it never gets below 100 :) but if engine was cold was thinking you might need to warm up a little, if its doing it hot it shoots that theory down.

Toombs: [Talking about Crematoria] If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell

Zero blowby. It's got to be valves. I didn't get 100% out of it as one cylinder still meets minimum compression. I will check the Head Gasket as it comes apart.

This is a stock 6.2 setup so no reason for low compression.

Yeah, overspeed and the valve springs couldn’t hang is what it is sounding more and more like- especially that one ip that you got rid of.

Even side head may have lifted wiping the gasket everywhere, but the individual dropped cylinder on the odd side, and being same as it’s mirror cylinder...hmmm.

Ya might need to take a run and go meet up with Jasper in Tx for his 660 block if there isn’t any closer deals. @$750 with the muncie 4 speed, that sounds like a fair deal imo. Unless you still get the frequent customer discount at Boyce for an optimizer.

So did you ever get resolution on this? If so, what was the problem?

I started a new thread. The old pump destroyed the engine is another carnage thread entry. The Zombie engine still ran and "new" Moose IP/Injectors didn't help much on a blown engine.

I started the Moose call with: "After poor Patch has been sitting for months with officially failed emissions..." Hindsight being 20/20: It should have failed at the governor test, that is done before the snap test measurements, that ran up to 4200+ RPM on the old pump before I got the Moose pump. As the engine still ran I had no idea 4200RPM bent all the valves, broke a valve spring and possibly wiped the cam. 3600 RPM is redline. It had run fine up to the emissions test and I thought it would pass. It accelerated slowly after the governor test blowing white for the measured SNAP smoke test. The replacement Moose pump only passed because I showed them max required repairs of $500 and got a waver. Specifically a Moose Pump receipt for like $1200.

A compression test showed the cylinder with the broke valve spring having the min 320 and the rest 200-260 psi.

The carnage is all here:

https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/bringing-1993-patch-back-from-the-dead.47688/

Replacement 6.2 longblock is due end of December. I will update this thread when I finally have the damn thing running right.

I started a new thread. The old pump destroyed the engine is another carnage thread entry. The Zombie engine still ran and "new" Moose IP/Injectors didn't help much on a blown engine.

I started the Moose call with: "After poor Patch has been sitting for months with officially failed emissions..." Hindsight being 20/20: It should have failed at the governor test, that is done before the snap test measurements, that ran up to 4200+ RPM on the old pump before I got the Moose pump. As the engine still ran I had no idea 4200RPM bent all the valves, broke a valve spring and possibly wiped the cam. 3600 RPM is redline. It had run fine up to the emissions test and I thought it would pass. It accelerated slowly after the governor test blowing white for the measured SNAP smoke test. The replacement Moose pump only passed because I showed them max required repairs of $500 and got a waver. Specifically a Moose Pump receipt for like $1200.

A compression test showed the cylinder with the broke valve spring having the min 320 and the rest 200-260 psi.

The carnage is all here:

https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/bringing-1993-patch-back-from-the-dead.47688/

Replacement 6.2 longblock is due end of December. I will update this thread when I finally have the damn thing running right.

Sorry to make you relive that.

How do you like the timing gears? Are they difficult to install vs a chain?

Still living it... The gears go on tight taking a little rotation to drop in. No worse than getting a tight chain to go on. I look forward to getting 30K miles on them and not seeing the timing slip like a stretched out 30K mile chain. The chains stretch out fast and I have had cause to exchange or replace them every single time I have torn into this and other 6.2/6.5 engines. This engine has been torn down at 30K intervals for one reason or another and Mr. Sloppy chain gets renewed every time at the low miles.

If I have to be in the timing chain area on a 6.2/6.5 there is simply no reason to leave a new or worn chain there. They can't take it and stretch.

Didn't hear the gears over the rest of the rig.

Stay tuned as I get to remove the timing drive gear off the crank of the failed engine. It has indicated there will be a battle to do so...

Back