• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LMM/Allison Cooler?

Transynd is a much better coolant (along with superior lubricant) under load than Dex VI. Have you ever cleaned the stack? I never did mine. Wish I had pulled the radiator when I changed coolant. I will next time for certain.

Transynd will drop unloaded trans temps 20-30 degrees do mostly to the fact that Transynd is a pure synthetic base stock that does not require additives to reach it's desired viscosity. Also since it doesn't require the additives for viscosity, it isn't affected by heat in the same fashion. ALLISON came out with it due to them offering trasnsmission retarders(A brake on the end of the trans that works like a torque converter except it is used to stop the driveshaft from moving instead of transferring the engines movement to the trans). Trans retarders work VERY well, but since it is basically a hydraulic brake, it puts INCREDIBLE amounts of heat into the trans fluid. Temps of 280-320 are common when using the trans retarder. The service life of DEX III under those temps is lucky to make it 15K miles, so ALLISON came out with TRANSYND to be able to sustain those temps without breakdown for at least 75K miles. Also they wanted it to be a better heat conductor to transfer the heat more effciently, reduce clutch pack slippage, and run cooler all around even under those extreme loads from the retarder.

DEX VI is a thinner fluid that GM came out with to reduce friction to help economy. They are really quite polar opposites of each other.

I did nothing to the tranny cooler except use a small piece of house flashing and put it inside the bumper hoping to help keep air going up into the cooler rather than underneath. My guess is that it has little to no effect, but I dont think it can hurt. I loaded up and hit the scale. I have 6.16 ton on the trailer and a total weight of about 25,554 I think if I remember correctly. I have 4 brand new 14 ply G load rated tires on at 120psi. The whole deal still seems a bit heavy to me but im going to let 'er bark. I leave tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

7a7834ab74f67092d55a3b4093cbb072.jpg

a8a596d05802a7da778fcb60ccff28b5.jpg

Made it home, no problems really. Transmission got as high as 195 but only for a short time. For the most part it ran in the 180's or under and it was dang hot out 90-100. Never had a trooper or trkr fkr bat an eye at me. I did bang the back roads from Kearney NE to Goodland KS but the rest was interstate.

One issue I did have was my fuel line collapsing on me when getting on it going up hills. It limped a couple times and threw a P0087 I think which was a low fuel rail pressure. Searched it and I guess there is a GM bulletin on it. Apparently there is a rubber section of fuel line by the tranny that gets warm/soft and will collapse under heavy load when the motor is asking for a lot of fuel. I just pedaled differently and it was able to keep it from continuing.

Supposedly there is some replacement hose for it that will fix the issue. But I bet a lift pump would do the trick too.

The line collapsing wasn't as much of an issue on LMM's as it was on earlier trucks. Yes al ift pump corrects it as it changes it from a vacuum to positive pressure in the supply line.

Ferm you think that it could be happening for a different reason?

I know by hay hauling standards my load was pretty conservative, but it was a long haul and I didnt want to run too much of a risk over that much distance, whether it be with equipment or the law!

Plugged fuel filter, hot fuel from a dirt fuel cooler, or failing injectors are also possible causes along with kinked fuel line.

I'd guess fuel filter was somewhat restricted along with hot fuel and high demand is the most likely reason for low rail pressure

Glad you had a uneventful trip other than the fuel line issue. Nice looking truck trailer and load. However I noticed one thing in the picture and it was hard to tell because it was a little blurry. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the front bales might have just one strap across them and were not butted up against the front of the trailer. They probably needed (per REGS.) an extra strap if they did not have two straps on them. You and I know that that load was not going anywhere, but the Federal REGS. say that any article over 1100 pounds not against a headboard must have more than one strap. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to critize the way you loaded it, but just trying to help you out in the future in case you make another trip like that. Like this trip, no one may never stop you but there is that one time.

I found a link to some pretty load securement information that could really be useful if a man was hauling quite a bit on the roads.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...securement-chapter-2-general-cargo-securement

Back