• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LMM/Allison Cooler?

HoytBows

Reaction score
With consideration to my up coming tow across the prairie, I began to look into improving the cooler on my LMM. It looks like there might two options. PPE makes a kit for 400 some bucks I think, and Mike L appears to possibly have a kit as well. Everything else I read looked like guys were flipping the cooler over, or putting a larger cooler in and customizing brackets, but most of it looked like it was on the classic body style trucks. Is this a big bucks mod, or is there another route that I havent found for the 7.5-10 allison?

The PPE cooler is MIKE L's kit. Flipping the cooler is one option that many do to get more airflow across the cooler. If you go with an EARLS cooler, you will have to get different trans cooler lines to make it work. Also you can do a flush and refill it with TRANSYND fluid. TRANSYND will run cooler than DEX VI, and even if it gets hot it can take it.

I thought you already changed to Transynd. If not, I would suggest it. It's ex$pen$ive though. IIRC, I dropped about $250 for a 5 gallon pail

If you have the metal clip out, it should slide out. You may need to loosen up the lines some in there holders to do so though.

got it and i'm flushing. is it normal to have what looks like new fluid coming back out the "from cooler" hole in the side of the tranny?
and how much should i expect before i see the new color come out of the return line?

You will get a small trickle coming back out of the trans when you do it, thats normal. For mine I didn't start to get cleaner fluid until the 2nd round.

I bet i got two and a half gallons out and still didnt see much color improvement. Ended up using all 5 gallons of the Delvac. I must have done something wrong I dont think I should have went through it all. Oh well at least most of it should be the good stuff now.

A stock allison holds right at 5 gallons, so its spposed to take it all. I believe stock unit hold right at 18 quarts, I know mine bone dry took the full 5 gallons with a triple disc converter.

After running it I am still a quart or two low I think. It marks just above the cold xxxx when it was about 10 degrees. Problem now is I wont be able to get anymore delvac to add until next week. So im going to have to leave tomorrow with the empty flatbed and try to find some along thr way. Before I flushed I put in the Transgo jr that had been sitting on my work bench for a long time so I had the valve body empty, the internal filter empty, and the spin on empty before I filled up for the flush.

I also drained my transfer case and replaced that with my leftover Amsoil Torque Drive. The suff that was in there was horrible.

Also did my rear dif and replaced it with a synthetic 75w-90.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

A bit low on the hot section of the transmission dipstick is what you want at 160°. You should be good. Safe trip!

Use some of your fluid from the flush. The last fluid that came out should have a fair amount of TES-295 in it. Otherwise a quart of a DEX/MERC fluid will be fine.

Running unloaded now through nebraska from the downhill to here I havent seen a tranny temp over 167. I also fabricated up a little piece of flashing in the bumper hoping it would push more air up to the cooler. Not sure if its the flush or both but I think its running about 20-30° under what it used too

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back