• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lift Pump Not Working, Where to Start

Owned three 6.5 and each one had return lines coming off the string of injectors to the IP. Not one going to the FFM like in the pic above. FFM has one incoming line from lift pump and two out going lines, one to the IP and the other simply the bleeder line.
Yes concept / workings are the same. I can take pics if it would help.

Yes it does, the rubber hose that comes up out of the return line next to the one that comes from the pump is the one the runs down the valley to the tank.

I swapped fuel solenoid shut offs and some fuel came out of IP into clear line. Still nothing at injector lines. Assuming the pump can only slide one way into timing gear, photo also shows pump fully seated.
View attachment 65016

Progress!!! Is there a good flow of fuel out of the IP in this clear line when cranking now? If not dump that clear line into a jar and crank it 10 sec.

On your other running 6.5: pinch this IP return line off and see how fast the engine quits running. :jawdrop:

Last edited:
Video of blowby on driver's side:

Normal... This is exhaust (used to feed the intake mounted EGR on LD emissions) that's "huffing" and IMO it's engine oil that's vaporizing off the cylinder walls, etc. I was going to ask about this from a earlier video until I made it out as the exhaust crossover in the intake. Our HD engines just block it with the intake.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you should have fuel coming out even when not turning as long as there's fuel pressure.

Not enough to notice. Any fuel has to go through the internal rotary vane pump in the ip. You would only see the minor leakage when the IP is not turning and the lift pump running.

I would be checking out the IP gear alot more closely. It does in fact look like there's no bolts. There should be an alignment pin as well that is part of the IP. Without the bolts maybe it sheared.

Ok, off work finally for today.
@EWC EXCELLENT CATCH.

@Big T
Not only are there no bolts mounting the ip gears in- the ip pin is in the wrong location I THINK- cant see clear 100% but looks to me like the pin is coming through a bolt hole not the pin hole. Pick your favorite swear word now. Some disassembly to do, but not too much.

Back on the fuel return line- think of it this way:
The ip returns 99% of incoming fuel from lift pump to the tank out that 1/4” line that we all say to have clear.
when fuel goes through the injection pump, out the injection lines, and operate the injectors: some fuel is burned and some of it goes injector body to injector body, then attaches to the junction line that runs across the front of the engine- where it gets returned with the majority of the fuel coming out the ip to the fuel tank. Any blockages in this return line stops flow of fuel through ip and turns off engine. The way the fuel shut off solenoid works is by stopping the fuel from going out that 1/4” line to turn off engine. So if that solenoid goes bad and you can’t turn off engine- go pinch the clear line shut for 1 second and engine will turn off.

Ok, off work finally for today.
@EWC EXCELLENT CATCH.

@Big T
Not only are there no bolts mounting the ip gears in- the ip pin is in the wrong location I THINK- cant see clear 100% but looks to me like the pin is coming through a bolt hole not the pin hole. Pick your favorite swear word now. Some disassembly to do, but not too much.

Back on the fuel return line- think of it this way:
The ip returns 99% of incoming fuel from lift pump to the tank out that 1/4” line that we all say to have clear.
when fuel goes through the injection pump, out the injection lines, and operate the injectors: some fuel is burned and some of it goes injector body to injector body, then attaches to the junction line that runs across the front of the engine- where it gets returned with the majority of the fuel coming out the ip to the fuel tank. Any blockages in this return line stops flow of fuel through ip and turns off engine. The way the fuel shut off solenoid works is by stopping the fuel from going out that 1/4” line to turn off engine. So if that solenoid goes bad and you can’t turn off engine- go pinch the clear line shut for 1 second and engine will turn off.

I will get pics of the IP gear bolts tomorrow. Swore I put them in. If not, then they are in a bag in the truck.

I took 3 screenshots, in order of video.
blue is first, notice the wear marks where the bolt head has been.
Red is second hole, again wear marks and notice it has the timing pin in it.
Green is 3rd hole- again the wear marks from the head of the bolt.
I couldn’t get the video to stop on a clear picture of the empty slot where the pin is supposed to be.

sux to see an error, but better to find it so it can be fixed. And you aren’t the first one to make it, so no biggie.

5D9AF849-D4B4-40E8-B55A-9B64F38BDB93.jpegE1DC323F-098D-4F38-8201-D4E7B8443081.jpeg160EBFAE-4C32-4E94-96BA-B1F1F9F3B654.jpeg

It’s been a year since I last worked on it. IIRC I was pushed for time due to a return trip to Montana and my needing to clear weeds from the yard. As a result I stuffed the IP in and left. Well found the IP gear bolts as stored:

E2286ECC-64EA-42DE-AD40-F646CB3708B3.jpeg

I will slide the pump out and install the bolts, then reinstall the pump sometime this weekend between other activities, including gun shooting with the son and grandkids.

You will have to rotate the IP to line up... For fun I pull an IP and then spin the IP just to make it more fun to put the replacement in. Yeah I should line the pins up, but, it will get bumped on the way in anyway.

There are two holes the pin can go in. One allows like one bolt only to line up and go in. Thus there is only one correct answer. I have tried it both ways at one time...

@Will L. do you recall what hole is correct? I don't.

pin.jpg

pin2.jpg

You will have to rotate the IP to line up... For fun I pull an IP and then spin the IP just to make it more fun to put the replacement in. Yeah I should line the pins up, but, it will get bumped on the way in anyway.

There are two holes the pin can go in. One allows like one bolt only to line up and go in. Thus there is only one correct answer. I have tried it both ways at one time...

@Will L. do you recall what hole is correct? I don't.

View attachment 65036

View attachment 65037

I’ve learned the correct hole gives a moan, while the incorrect hole gives a scream.

I will get pics of the IP gear bolts tomorrow. Swore I put them in. If not, then they are in a bag in the truck.
Old bull durham sack works real good.
On My old motorcicles, left over bolts and parts goes into the bull Today’s Prayer
May 16, 2021

Good morning dear heavenly Father! This is a day which You have made! I will rejoice and be glad in it! I pray in Jesus’ name, for I need You and I want to trust You more. I want to feed on Your faithfulness. Father, these words of the psalmist is what I pray.

“Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.” (Psalm 37:3-4) Lord, I know You have chosen me for a purpose, Your purpose. The desire of my heart is to fulfill Your desire for my life. Please guide me and help me to serve You with every ounce of my strength.

Lord, I pray for strength and wisdom to overcome the temptations in my life. James said, “Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, ‘I am tempted by God’; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.” (James 1:12-14)

Lord, I also pray to follow Paul’s instructions. “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:1-2)

But Lord, when I see wicked people persecute Christians, I become angry, for it goes against Your perfect will. Lord, I speak up against it, but I rely on Your Holy Spirit to give me the calm words of a wise servant. Scripture says, “The wicked plots against the just, and gnashes at him with his teeth. The Lord laughs at him, for He sees that his day is coming.” (Psalm 37:12-13) Those who laugh today at Scripture will be laughed at by You! You see their day is coming! And woe unto them when that day comes!

Lord, I want to trust You completely. I want the world to know that my salvation is from You. “But the salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; He is their strength in the time of trouble. And the Lord shall help them and deliver them; He shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in Him.” (Psalm 37:39-40)

Father, I pray You would strengthen my faith and develop me for Your purpose. If I am to lead, help me to lead; if I am to follow, help me to follow; if I am to influence one life, help me to influence that life. If I am to make a difference in this world, help me to make that difference. Whatever my purpose, help me to succeed and excel for Your glory.

“The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You.” (Psalm 9:9-10) In Jesus’ precious name I pray, amen.
durham sack and is tied to the handlebar ince the bike is back together.
When riding and thinking, I then will remember where them left overs belong. I then can pull over, untie the sack from the handlebar, dump out the parts and attach on the ones I remember where they belong. Usually in 500 miles or less I’ll have all them parts attached back on to the muscheeen. 😹😹😹😹

Mostly worked on the yard today, but finished up on the ‘94 Suburban. Pulled the IP, but the gear plate is just floating loosely and I dropped a bolt down the front of the timing cover. So I’ll be into that job. I was going to replace timing gears and chain anyway. And no, not doing the timing gears that Leroy doesn’t have. Just want to get this running and out of my yard.

Back