• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lift Pump Not Working, Where to Start

MSD is a MAJOR supplier of aftermarket ignition systems, distributors, electronic engine control systems, fuel injection systems, transmission controllers for the custom/hotrodding/racing market. Been around since the 1950's. Good stuff.

Yeah, so i see same answer as before AC Delco- buy from Rock Auto = you are screwed if anything goes wrong and RA chooses to not help and good luck getting help is becoming their new normal. This is why I am trying to say- I don’t care if they sponsor this sight some- they screw people over acting like they are ok- remember when stoney iirc looked up RA and their site makes it look like they are 100% with Delco? They are like that for EVERY MFR I have seen. It might as well be a guy named Craig on Craigslist.

As to if it is worth it for the db2 change- you have to do the math and make best guess.
You are talking about new rings and such in a spare engine. Here is the way I see average joe looking at it:
15,000 miles per year.
get 15,000 miles more out of this tired engine in the truck now.
Reringed engine goes estimated 240,000 miles, for total run of 255,000 miles on ip.
That is IF keep lube in fuel and pressure gauge in happy spot, and water out of ip-basic life of a new ip, replacing injectors at the Rering and again at say 120,000 mark of reringed engine. Suggest planning waterpump at time of injectors along with hoses and belt. Harmonic balancer also if Delco otherwise fluidampr is one time buy.
So that run will get you the next 9 years of use.
By that age, most of us grey hairs slow down the mileage and want a cozy ride more than truck ride, so kick it to the curb and hopefully our flying Jetson’s cars are here by then. Haha. Otherwise if ya want to rebuild yet another 6.5 and db2, the db2 will still be available then because of the GEP military builds.

On the trans controller- and the trans- your gonna need a rebuild soon. if you like manual- ok. I don’t care to shift anymore so other than my 43 Willy’s- automatic. 4l80e plan on rebuilding around 250,000 miles each time is a conservative amount, usually longer but be conservative in money math. I don’t know which aftermarket controllers are junk- but yeah MSD is rock solid reputation. $200 sounds way low. Usually 600-900 from what I seen regardless of who makes it.

But the TCM (transmission control module) in my hummer and older obd1 pickups; and the ECM in yours are basically the same thing. Program difference is what i guess the difference is. Maybe call @quadstar87 Quadstar tuning and find out if he can program your ecm to run everything with db2 instead of ds4. Bill Heath sold and new owners don’t inow shite about programming- they kept him on for that but he is gone now.
Search Bobbie Martin’s booklet on here on doing the conversion. Back then it was just get an old tcm from a junkyard and use it. Keep current ecm as emergency use and get different one to Quadstar maybe?

Doing the db2 conversion is gonna cost money to do, and take more time. You are effectively buying the reliability and no need for pmd, programming, ds4 hiccups, etc.
I would NEVER suggest it to anyone planning on getting rid of the vehicle in 5 years. Horrible roi. This is a long time term investment. Here in southern Nv, i cant do it because smoggy dmv is aware of it and says no. I purposely chose the 95 hummer because it was last year of db2 hummer. I wouldn’t go through what you did in commie land with att/gm turbo mess. But since Mt now- i get it.

Since you are running ATT - you might not like acceleration as much with db2, the ds4 tuning helps it spool with less puff of smoke unless you do a torque converter like WarWagon did. I tend to like wastegated turbos with db2 because of that- but I already have the “look” from hybrid drivers because it’s a hummer already- so any visible smoke makes me enemy#1.

I can’t say db2 is the best for you- but I just spent too many years with- “ohh the wind blew from the east, maybe it’s because of the pmd?” Coupled with once I had a WOT runaway pmd- that dramatically changed my mind to -NEVER AGAIN. At a stoplight with a young mother pushing baby stroller right in front of me. Unbelievable I didn’t kill them both. And you ger hot rod guy of the time- I would still be in prison unable to convince anyone I wasn’t showing off. So I have a BAD BIAS towards ds4. Trying to be honest as possible for ya.

Yeah, so i see same answer as before AC Delco- buy from Rock Auto = you are screwed if anything goes wrong and RA chooses to not help and good luck getting help is becoming their new normal. This is why I am trying to say- I don’t care if they sponsor this sight some- they screw people over acting like they are ok- remember when stoney iirc looked up RA and their site makes it look like they are 100% with Delco? They are like that for EVERY MFR I have seen. It might as well be a guy named Craig on Craigslist.

As to if it is worth it for the db2 change- you have to do the math and make best guess.
You are talking about new rings and such in a spare engine. Here is the way I see average joe looking at it:
15,000 miles per year.
get 15,000 miles more out of this tired engine in the truck now.
Reringed engine goes estimated 240,000 miles, for total run of 255,000 miles on ip.
That is IF keep lube in fuel and pressure gauge in happy spot, and water out of ip-basic life of a new ip, replacing injectors at the Rering and again at say 120,000 mark of reringed engine. Suggest planning waterpump at time of injectors along with hoses and belt. Harmonic balancer also if Delco otherwise fluidampr is one time buy.
So that run will get you the next 9 years of use.
By that age, most of us grey hairs slow down the mileage and want a cozy ride more than truck ride, so kick it to the curb and hopefully our flying Jetson’s cars are here by then. Haha. Otherwise if ya want to rebuild yet another 6.5 and db2, the db2 will still be available then because of the GEP military builds.

On the trans controller- and the trans- your gonna need a rebuild soon. if you like manual- ok. I don’t care to shift anymore so other than my 43 Willy’s- automatic. 4l80e plan on rebuilding around 250,000 miles each time is a conservative amount, usually longer but be conservative in money math. I don’t know which aftermarket controllers are junk- but yeah MSD is rock solid reputation. $200 sounds way low. Usually 600-900 from what I seen regardless of who makes it.

But the TCM (transmission control module) in my hummer and older obd1 pickups; and the ECM in yours are basically the same thing. Program difference is what i guess the difference is. Maybe call @quadstar87 Quadstar tuning and find out if he can program your ecm to run everything with db2 instead of ds4. Bill Heath sold and new owners don’t inow shite about programming- they kept him on for that but he is gone now.
Search Bobbie Martin’s booklet on here on doing the conversion. Back then it was just get an old tcm from a junkyard and use it. Keep current ecm as emergency use and get different one to Quadstar maybe?

Doing the db2 conversion is gonna cost money to do, and take more time. You are effectively buying the reliability and no need for pmd, programming, ds4 hiccups, etc.
I would NEVER suggest it to anyone planning on getting rid of the vehicle in 5 years. Horrible roi. This is a long time term investment. Here in southern Nv, i cant do it because smoggy dmv is aware of it and says no. I purposely chose the 95 hummer because it was last year of db2 hummer. I wouldn’t go through what you did in commie land with att/gm turbo mess. But since Mt now- i get it.

Since you are running ATT - you might not like acceleration as much with db2, the ds4 tuning helps it spool with less puff of smoke unless you do a torque converter like WarWagon did. I tend to like wastegated turbos with db2 because of that- but I already have the “look” from hybrid drivers because it’s a hummer already- so any visible smoke makes me enemy#1.

I can’t say db2 is the best for you- but I just spent too many years with- “ohh the wind blew from the east, maybe it’s because of the pmd?” Coupled with once I had a WOT runaway pmd- that dramatically changed my mind to -NEVER AGAIN. At a stoplight with a young mother pushing baby stroller right in front of me. Unbelievable I didn’t kill them both. And you ger hot rod guy of the time- I would still be in prison unable to convince anyone I wasn’t showing off. So I have a BAD BIAS towards ds4. Trying to be honest as possible for ya.

One step at time.

First want to get this vehicle running and will do so with a DS4, most likely the AC Delco from Amazon.

We have a GM Reman 4l80e transmission with 12-15K miles on it that we harvested from the 1995 wreck. Unlike the damn IP, the transmission should be good.

The engine from the '95 wreck had 185K miles on it, ran great, consumed about 1 quart of oil every 2500 miles with minor blowby that most here would consider as none. Re-ringing it and prepping it for the '94 would be one of those projects done in the dead of winter when I'm not tying flies.

Given what you just said about DB2 not running well with ATT, I'm now less inclined to go the DB2 route. The DS4s have not been that problematic for us or that costly. The remote mount PMD on my 1999 has been on there since I bought the truck in 2010 and no issues. Same with the remote mount PMD on Colby's '94: no issues.

I apologize for not throwing down the link.
I am not familiar with all this stuff so I dont know if this would be something that would work.
I see wire harnesses for around 200 also on Summit.

Says it's a handheld unit. So does that mean you go from your hand on a manual transmission shifter to a handheld electronic shifter?

Says it's a handheld unit. So does that mean you go from your hand on a manual transmission shifter to a handheld electronic shifter?
That I dont know. I was thinking it is a hand held unit that controls the transmission shift functions, then after the transmission is set up to the controller just place it out of the way and drive. But I dont onow that for sure. 🤷‍♂️

I think that is to program their stand alone unit. #2760. https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=Msd 4l80e

I could be wrong and you just need that- But I would call msd tech support and ask before buying anything
Yeah, I believe that is the programmer for the stand-alone transmission controller, which off the top of my head is like an $800+ unit - but can be used on multiple transmissions/vehicles if you're swapping around.

Back