• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ Died on Highway onramp. got it started, but undriveable

Yeah got it back home this last week (That was expensive -- damn tow companies). I havent had much time to work on it now that I get back home.
I was looking into it today. I grabbed a 5 gal bucket got fresh diesel from known good station, put 2 oz 2-stroke oil and 32 oz diesel kleen in it and ran a clear tube from that to the inlet on the filter housing, started it up and ran it for about 5-10 minutes (still knocking and idling rough) no air in line though. shut it down, hooked up factory line again.

I was hoping the concentrated additive would help unclog the injector or free it up if it was sticky. no luck.
I took a video of it at idle, in case my description of the rough idle is hard to understand.
Its uploading to youtube right now. I'll post it up when its done.

I think next step is to pull the injectors and send them in for testing (exergy) unless anyone has any other ideas. thanks!

I sent a link to this post to a pretty good LBZ man.... Hopefully he my be able to take a listen and have a thought or two.

Personally first thing I would do is a compression test from listening to the video. Next step would be to send teh injectors out for testing as a stuck injector could easily do it as well.

Just got Bill's email,

injectors first, check you balance rates with your PPE handheld
Are any injectors more than + or - 2 in park or 4 in drive with your foot on the brake
scary part
Are injectors 1 & 2 + or - 7-15
Is your harmonic balancer wobbling while the engine is running

My experience says you either have an injector issue (hanging open and getting stuck) LBZ injectors are starting to show signs of wearing out just like the LB7 and LLY injectors have, or you have a fractured crank right at the counter weight behind 1/2

Let me know what you find and I will be sure to keep an eye on this thread to help you out.

Now if you feel like it fill up your cat filter with about 1/2 - 2/3 dexIII and the rest power service and run that through the motor at 1000-1500 rpm ( to increase the fuel pressure ). If this is an injector issue that is not TOO bad this will bandaid for a little while.

after listening to your video about 20 times (literally) just to hear every little detail in the sound. Best case scenario I believe you need injectors, can you replace just one, yes but I would not recommend it diesel (especially this new low sulfur shit) is a mild abrasive and actually cuts and wears the insides of the injectors and the nozzles. Get 8 new injectors and be done with it and sleep easy. Sell your old ones as cores.

Contact Henry at creatures of the night performance and he will take care of you. Not sure if he can get new injectors yet but if he cannot he will be able to get yours sent out and rebuilt. 443-907-4838

Sorry guys. I've been dealing with some family stuff and this got pushed off.
I'll have some time this evening to tear into it and read through the last few posts.
Don't worry, I didnt go anywhere. I really appreciate all your help and ideas. I'll be sure to update later tonight.
Thanks!

ok, Heres what I've got since last night.
I already have some Power Service in there with about 8 ounces of 2 stroke (low ash) oil. (assume 30 gals of diesel in tank). I didnt get a chance to get some dex 3 yet. I'll try that tonight.
Truck started right up after sitting for about 3-4 days. So its holding prime, I would think.
Still loping and clacking. checked the harmonic balancer and looks smooth and straight as an arrow.
Let it warm up, rev it to about 1200 rpm a few times over the course of the 10-15 mins it took to warm up. Noticed that the clack got quieter as it warmed up. but the lope was still there.

After it warmed up I hooked up the ppe and recorded the inj balance rates. also took a video so you can see how they fluctuate (also fuel rail desired and actual pressure).
Inj1 +0.2
Inj2 +4.3
Inj3 - 0.6
Inj4 - 2.7
Inj5 +2.1
Inj6 - 1.5
Inj7 +2.4
Inj8 - 2.5

Video coming after it uploads.

I havent had a chance to check compression yet. I have to go get the tool first. '
Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll try and post some more info later tonight.

#2 is just slightly out of spec, during this video was it knocking just as loud as it was in the previous video?

did you look at the balancer while it was running? is it wobbling?

#2 is just slightly out of spec, during this video was it knocking just as loud as it was in the previous video?
The previous video was recorded while engine was cold (only running for 2-3 minutes).
This recent video was after the engine had been idling for about 10-15 minutes, and it was quieter than when it was cold in the previous video.

did you look at the balancer while it was running? is it wobbling?
balancer was spinning straight and smooth. no wobble.

quick question guys if the low sulfur diesel is abrasive shouldn't we be using an additive,my lbz will turn 200,00km very shortly thanks mike

I always wondered the same, If our injectors are getting worn out like they have been running sand paper then why do we get told dont run 2 stroke?

I do not think ULSD is 'abrasive'. I believe the term would be 'less lubricity'. Unless, of course you are running a BIO blend and/or adding lubricity. I have been using PS silver (Summer) every other tank and PS white (Winter) about every tank along with 98% of my fuel is from the same source and is B5-B20 depending on time of year.
The distributors are adding lubricity. How much? :dunno:

i have spoken with a big name in the injector nozzle buisiness, and all diesel is "slightly abrasive". lack of lubricity is just the friction of the fuel against the metal.

in a lower pressure injection system its no big deal but in a 26k psi system it does wear out the fuel system internals ALOT over time. this individual has showed me pictures of nozzles and injector bodies under magnification is you can actually see where the turbulent fuel cuts tiny little channels in the metal.

2 stroke or marvel mystery oil won't do any harm to your fuel system IMO it will be fine

big dog are you able to get cold balance rate numbers for us.

it might also be possible that you are having a problem related to the crank / cam sensors or reluctor wheel. but i would not jump to that conclusion yet until we rule out the fuel system.

Back