• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ Died on Highway onramp. got it started, but undriveable

Confirmed they will flush rails and all supply lines to the injectors while its apart. Waiting to hear about the injector return rate check. He is checking the with Tech (which happens to be the owner) to make sure he did a return check on all the injectors and will give me a call or have the owner call and confirm.

ok, I got a 100% confirmation today that they checked the return rate on each injector and are positive its the cp3. cp3 shows up tomorrow and I should have the truck back on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for all the advice/help guys.

So how does a guy pinpoint the cause of failure? 93k ain't much!

Do we blame GM for cheaping out and not equipping dmax trucks with a LIFT pump?

So how does a guy pinpoint the cause of failure? 93k ain't much!
Do we blame GM for cheaping out and not equipping dmax trucks with a LIFT pump?

Its not easy to pinpoint the cause, but there is a possibility that the pump failed due to a ceramic ball valve that can fracture. I'll try and attach the TSB.
you wont be able to verify this until the pump is out. If thats not the problem, then it could have easily been due to lack of maintenance from the PO.
I bought it with 60k miles and the fuel filter change and oil filter change reminder were at 0% remaining. that probably should have been a dead give away:mad2:, but figured the po just never cared to reset the reminders. He probably didnt change filters that often, or ran crappy filters, crappy fuel, etc....

I put the lift pump on for 2 reasons, to remove all air and water from the fuel and to help feed the cp3. im not planning on running a crazy hot tune. Longevity is my main goal. :agreed:

Attachments

• CP3 Failure.pdf
    564 KB · Views: 13
Well, I got the pump installed. Shop called and said a few injectors are knocking. its holding rail pressure, but 3 of the injectors are borderline. I went over and drove it today for a good 30 minutes, its knocking for sure with light throttle and pulling a grade on the highway with no load on it. They want $4500 to replace injectors. I dont have that kind of money laying around. I have the tool and buddy thats a cat mechanic willing to help. Would it be worth buying a set myself and swapping them in to save on the labor costs?
Then comes the question of which reman or new should I buy?
I know ferm mentioned Exergy. They are $405 reman, $455 new. That is a large chunk of change, especially after dropping $2500 for a cp3

Video of the idle now after the cp3 was replaced and the lope idle sound from the exhaust. not nearly as bad as before, but it's still no right.

FYI, Injector Balance Rates are as follows:
Inj 1 = 0.3
Inj 2 = -0.4
Inj 3 = 1.0
Inj 4 = 2.1
Inj 5 = -0.1
Inj 6 = -0.8
Inj 7 = -2.7
Inj 8 = 1.0

[video=youtube_share;aN0ZfVw8e1w]http://youtu.be/aN0ZfVw8e1w[/video]

I would seriously consider new and maybe just do the 3 that really need it if I couldn't spring for all 8 and DIY for sure.
The bad pump must have done in the injectors because properly cared for the LBZ injectors
are long lived.

Link no workie.

Yeah i debated that. but I hate taking the short route. I plan on keeping it for damn near ever. so id rather do it right and call it done. just tough shelling out that much cash.

Link works now. youtube had to process the video. Btw, dont mind me dropping the camera lol.

I would seriously consider new and maybe just do the 3 that really need it if I couldn't spring for all 8 and DIY for sure.
The bad pump must have done in the injectors because properly cared for the LBZ injectors
are long lived.

Link no workie.

Yeah it works now. Damn... you sure got a couple hammering pretty hard.
BTW, You need to fasten down that TCM. Look Here

I remember coming across that thread, I went and looked at mine at that time and it was still mounted pretty decent. I'll take a look again. Thanks!

I just got off the phone with Guy Tripp from SoCal Diesel. Everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say about his injectors, so Im planning on tackling this over the weekend and get mine sent into him.
If anyone has any tips on removing injectors from an 06 LBZ, I'd appreciate some insight.

Thanks.

alright i have to say, that was a painful purchase (not because of Exergy, but because of the money I had to spend to get my truck fixed).

I just placed the order with Harvey @ Exergy for 8 Stock New Bosch LBZ Injectors. so as soon as those show up, I'll be swapping them out. Ive read a few posts that your supposed to re-program the flow rates into the ECM. Is this true? Dealer only? or can I accomplish this with EFI Live?

Thanks, for the recommendation on Exergy.

If I was spending that kind of money and had some of the mods you have and are considering going a bit wilder in the future...I would have bought some that were were honed slightly larger than stock...JMHO

don't know the answer to your other question regarding programming flow rates...

i thought about that, but im strictly after reliability / durability not necessarily more power. The thing makes more power than I need in stock form. Plus, I dont have the money to build a trans yet, definitely not now.
I did contemplate that, but most folks claimed that stock was best for long term reliability.

Thx.

well at least your injectors are easy to get to if you decide to send them back to exergy to have them done...

You don't have to program the flow rates from what I understand. If you choose to do so, you will need a TECH 2 as EFILIVE won't do it.

Well injectors arrived. I'll be tearing into it this weekend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351131597876.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351131597876.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 9
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351131610585.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351131610585.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 8
Back