• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ Died on Highway onramp. got it started, but undriveable

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
Its been over a year since I've been on the forums (too much going on).
But I'm stuck... (careful its long).
I was getting on the highway 2 days ago (light-med acceleration, unloaded just me in the truck). Got to 45 mph and lost all power (engine power). Electrical was fine. but no amount of throttle input did anything. coasted to a turnout and as I came to a stop it stuttered once and died.
I could not get it to start back up (just crank - no start). primped the filter till fuel came out of the bleeder, pumped some more, still crank - no start.
Changed Fuel filter, primed again same as before. Still crank no start. Get towed off the fwy. Got it started last night after just continually cranking. finally started stuttering to life. it idles now, but had a irregular miss every so often (feels violent).
I got EFIlive connected to read some PID's commanded fuel pressure seems to match actual fuel pressure at idle. if i use efi live to increase rpm, i cant get it above 1500 rpm, it starts loping between 1400-1500 pretty bad, and stuttering and popping every so often. sometimes get a puff of black smoke.
If I use the throttle pedal, it increases past 1500, up to 2500 but still runs rough and pops also.
only code was when it first died (P0087 - low rail pressure). Fuel tank is full, fresh filter, ran fine for 2 hours on and off throughout the day, then just died.
Any help appreciated. need to get back home this weekend and right now it aint gonna make it the 3 hour trip home.
Let me know any ideas or if you need any other info. I have efi live, ppe, code reader, i can take video, pictures. anything. let me know. Thanks guys!

Check to make sure it is getting good air free fuel first. Also check the fuel lines by teh trans to see if they kinked.

How many miles since you refueled and was it a fuel station you usually use? Possible contaminated fuel. How long since the fuel filter was changed? Usually a clogged fuel filter gives similar symptoms which would be a fuel draw problem.

Check to make sure it is getting good air free fuel first. Also check the fuel lines by teh trans to see if they kinked.
ok, so im thinking I could replace the outlet hose from the filter housing with clear tubing and check for air bubbles there?
I will definitely check the soft lines from the tank up. Thanks!

Side Note: Last night I go back and attempt to prime it again at the filter housing and after i closed the bleeder, I pumped it another 15-20 times (it got really hard). After that I could hear and air leak or whistle for a few seconds after I stopped pumping. I figured this was my issue. had a friend check his 04.5 LLY and it doesnt make that noise. Also had another friend check his 06 LLY and his DOES make the same noise. But he has no drivability issues. So I guess thats not my problem.

I'll check for Air bubbles in clear tubing if you think thats the proper way to check it.

Surely a CP3 wouldn't die at 92k would it?
I wouldn't think so. I haven't been able to find many folks who have experienced that. Especially since I baby the thing (only 90HP PPE) and I run stanadyne every 3rd tank. btw, I tuned it back to stock right after this happened.

How many miles since you refueled and was it a fuel station you usually use? Possible contaminated fuel. How long since the fuel filter was changed? Usually a clogged fuel filter gives similar symptoms which would be a fuel draw problem.
So I just filled up Monday morning. I have driven about 60 miles since fill up. This issue occurred Tuesday evening. There were no drivability issues up to that point. No starting issues, no idling, no power loss, etc. Ran perfect.
The fill up does leave me suspicious. The tank was about 1/4 when I filled up. Do you guys think its possible to have no issues for that 60 miles after fillup and then bam, trouble?

The tank was about 1/4 when I filled up. Do you guys think its possible to have no issues for that 60 miles after fillup and then bam, trouble?
I wouldn't think so but 60 mi really isn't much of a stretch beyond a pump. plumbing & filter full.

Any add on lift pumps? (though they usually flow on fail?)
No lift pump... yet. I was thinking of getting an AirDog. But right now, fuel system is stock except for the CAT filter in place of the oem filter (still using oem filter housing)

ok i think I really screwed myself now.

started up fine today, let it idle a few minutes. no hiccups. no DTC's.
Drove it around the parking lot a few times and after about 6 minutes, i hear a loud clacking and see a puff of black smoke out the tail pipe and now the engine idles with a lope like a gas engine with one spark plug disconnected.
and theres a loud clack - clack - clack that increases with RPM. Still no DTC. (it reminds me of an old tbi350 suburban that lost a spark plug wire).

Definitely not gonna make it home now. Im camping out here for the weekend. if I cant figure it out over the weekend, Im gonna have to take it to someone. Just not sure who. If anyone knows of any good diesel mechanics near the San Jose, CA area, Im all ears. Thanks.

I think I'm gonna have to drop the tank and check for contaminants (no way to do that here).
Im gonna use efilive to shutoff 1 inj at a time to see if I can isolate which one is fubar.

Wasnt there an issue with inj wiring on the lbz? Does anyone know where to look for that?

Check your fuel in a glass jar from the filter water drain. Maybe got a slug of water or gasoline.

Low fuel rail pressure is an air leak or plugged filter. Those CAT filters will stop water and starve the engine to a stop before letting water pass. There is no tank sock or filter to worry about.

The clack clack is pilot injection turned off limp mode. You will have to clear codes to get out of this mode. The problem of low rail pressure has to be cured to stay out of this mode. Gasoline can vapor lock you...

You could have something stuck in the primer valves making the hissing. Regardless you have a issue after the engine is running. Fuel filter housings crack for all years and leak. Orings fail on the primer and can leak.

Batteries were disconnected last night.
Ok, so I drained the current filter into a glass jar. Didnt see anything at first glance. Im letting it sit for a bit.
I dont have the oem wif drain anymore. It cracked on me so I omitted it and went with the cat filter.
When I removed the filter, I popped the bleeder and took off the filter (it was only about 3/4 full).

I put a fresh filter on hooked up the batteries, hooked up EFI live. Started it up, still loping at idle and still clack-clack-clack.
I commanded each inj to turn off via efi live. Inj 1-4 all caused the tone to change and idle felt a little rougher.
When I turned off inj 5, the idle smoothed out to normal, but the clack-clack-clack is still there. Inj 6-8 responded the same way as 1-4.
So it looks like Inj 5 is suspect?
If I pull inj 5, should I pull the rest and check / clean them? What about the fuel rail / INj Pump, etc? Should all be replaced?
Never done anything like this before, but willing to do it in order to avoid a dealer bill.

I guess I'll be replacing all the soft fuel lines / and adding an Airdog to reduce my chances of dealing with this again.
Thanks for all the help. If anyone has any tips on doing the injectors on an LBZ, I would appreciate it.

You could have something stuck in the primer valves making the hissing. Regardless you have a issue after the engine is running. Fuel filter housings crack for all years and leak. Orings fail on the primer and can leak.

I rebuilt the filter head with all new viton orings back about 4 months ago when I switched to the CAT filter.
I didnt change the soft lines at the time, but they felt ok.

I did look under the driver side where the frame side hard line connects to the hard line on the side of the tranny with a soft rubber line @ 90 Degrees.
It seemed like it was pinched pretty good. this could have collapsed at the time the engine died. unfortunately it seems like the #5inj failed before I could get it to happen again and confirm that it collapsed.

If the injectors are in question, I would pull em all out and send em to EXERGY to be tested. LBZ injectors rarely fail, and are big money to replace.

crap... ok. I guess its time to have it towed home and bite the bullet.
I really dont need this right now. oh well.

Thanks guys for everything.
I'll be sure to not be a stranger. I feel like I've missed out on so much over the last year.

Thanks

Back