• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HOLY CRAP! Billet compressor wheel for the factory turbo.

The BatMoWheel and Wicked Wheel are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WHEEL DESIGNS.

Yes, and as Ferm mentioned, they both go after the same symptom: surging. And also agree that, No, they are not copies of each other as each was independently developed.

Not familiar with the other applications in Dodge & GM, but the Batmo & Wicked came about from when folks upgraded their intake and exhaust (but not the turbo) which let the engine breath easier, but the system as a whole was out of balance with not enough pressure on the turbine side to drive the compressor when the engine was under load. Purpose of the Batmo & Wicked wheel is to put the OE Garrett's .85 A/R turbo back in harmony (after an exhaust and / or intake upgrade) which also gives a second effect benefit of better efficiency and power. Most of the 7.3'ers see the Bat & Wicked for what they are and decide whether they want to band-aid the restrictive .85 A/R turbo, or upgrade to a 1.0 A/R which is the better solution for that setup. Please do not get me wrong, the Batmo & Wicked wheels are great products if all somebody wants to do is prevent surging and get a little more 'punch' out of the OE 7.3's turbo.

In reading over the vendor's commentary on the benefits of the billet wheel, there were disclaimers on the need to re-balance the turbo and that the higher HP levels were only possible after a *lot* of other things occurred in tandem. In the end, the Billet wheel might prove a good product for the GM-X turbo, but the questions I have are whether this will throw the system out of balance, call for other secondary upgrades, and just how much of a power / efficiency it provides if somebody only installs it and *no* other change.

But then again, experimentation is why the bunch of us are here . . . :hihi:

The origanal wicked wheel was for surge, the batmowheel is for more boost down low. Both of the sites have basically teh same descriptions now as to what tehre products do from what I can see. Just 2 different companies competing with each other with simliar catch phrases.

I wasn't implying they were copies of each other, I was trying to say they used a catchy phrase to copy each other. batmowheel wicked wheel, to me they are both catchy phrases. And the origanal wicked wheel wasn't just an OEM design, it was a friggen off the shelf OEM part marked up 250% until they got caught and people started buying them direct from the factory. I remeber all the whoopla over on the FORD boards once it was found out to be just a stock 99 wheel.

Business is business, the "knowledge" sometimes is worth more than the actual fix.

i was gonna order one, all sold, i emailed them,,,

I guess he owes me some revenue, lol. He relisted-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=111270944603

In reading over the vendor's commentary on the benefits of the billet wheel, there were disclaimers on the need to re-balance the turbo and that the higher HP levels were only possible after a *lot* of other things occurred in tandem. In the end, the Billet wheel might prove a good product for the GM-X turbo, but the questions I have are whether this will throw the system out of balance, call for other secondary upgrades, and just how much of a power / efficiency it provides if somebody only installs it and *no* other change.

But then again, experimentation is why the bunch of us are here . . . :hihi:

If I had a stock turbo, I'd try it. It will do the job. For example, I put an HX40 wheel in my HX35, I noticed more boost off the line, faster boost rise, more under the curve and less drive/backpressure, without touching the fuel. For anyone looking to improve the stock turbo without spending a lot of time and money, I would do this in a heartbeat. Billet wheels are so finely made, I wouldn't even bother rebalancing the turbo, I'd just throw it on.

The origanal wicked wheel was for surge, the batmowheel is for more boost down low. Both of the sites have basically teh same descriptions now as to what tehre products do from what I can see. Just 2 different companies competing with each other with simliar catch phrases.

Then the Chinese/Taiwan stepped in and the prices dropped, thankfully. The GTX wheel for the GT35R can be had now for under $200, I want one for my Caravan.

I just bought an HX40 billet wheel with the extended tip for my diesel, so we'll see how that works, currently running a 56mm factory 6 blade billet wheel.

Has anybody contemplated that maybe this wheel isn't for a 6.5L and someone is just being ripped off? That seems like my initial guess. Some guy just blowing smoke. I would attempt to get more information from the seller about it, where he found it, who makes it, how did he know about it, the updated map, any power gains?

Has anybody contemplated that maybe this wheel isn't for a 6.5L and someone is just being ripped off? That seems like my initial guess. Some guy just blowing smoke. I would attempt to get more information from the seller about it, where he found it, who makes it, how did he know about it, the updated map, any power gains?

The application has to be legit otherwise Ebay will shut him down, just dealing with some injectors I bought and weren't what they said.

He has no proof, see the first page, I quoted his reply to my questions. A decently made billet wheel will flow more air, by nature of design. For the price, I would try one and might talk my customer into trying one before I put an HX40 on his rig.

so was the GM8 exhaust housing the biggest of all GM turbos? what are the differences from a GM-5 to a GM-8, exhaust and intake, or just one or the other?

IMO pair this wheel with the biggest exhaust GM turbo, and it would be a real step up from a GM1-GM-4, without going all the way to ATT.

. . . If I had a stock turbo, I'd try it. It will do the job. For example, I put an HX40 wheel in my HX35, I noticed more boost off the line, faster boost rise, more under the curve and less drive/backpressure, without touching the fuel. . . .

Ahhh . . . But that is the point, the HX's are *whole* turbo solutions where the billet is *just* the compressor wheel ;)

Guess the only way we are going to get to the answer (seeing as the vendor is not really giving it) is for somebody to try it and then see how it performs over time.

Ahhh . . . But that is the point, the HX's are *whole* turbo solutions where the billet is *just* the compressor wheel ;)

Guess the only way we are going to get to the answer (seeing as the vendor is not really giving it) is for somebody to try it and then see how it performs over time.

:skep: Even I wouldn't try this clueless fleabay seller's krap on my rides.

I talked my customer into trying one, but before I buy one, I am going to see what kind of warranty/guarantee he offers. :rof:

Yes, I am running a Holset but your missing the point, a better compressor wheel helps all around, :thumbsup:

I bought one, can't be all that bad, taller fins, lighter weight. He know how his rig works so he'll know pretty fast how this wheel works.

I got a 6.5L in the 96 GMC that runs on 7 cylinders and idles on 6...shrapnel might make it run better. ;)
You should get pretty good mileage with that. GM makes engines that cut cylinders out for economy.:hihi:

Why the popcorn? :???:

I think he's waiting to hear about exploded turbo carnage or if it works.

Sort of like here in this warning video that HOLSET issued about the chinese knock offs that peopel are buying up. Quite a few DODGE guys learned first hand about that wonderful CKO40 coming apart under high boost. Skip to 3:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0DieZHMKc

Gotcha. Guess we'll see, :eek:

I've seen that video, but also that was when they first came out, pretty sure they've honed their skills by now. Have you ever heard of anyone blowing up a turbo anymore like the vid?

Gotcha. Guess we'll see, :eek:

I've seen that video, but also that was when they first came out, pretty sure they've honed their skills by now. Have you ever heard of anyone blowing up a turbo anymore like the vid?

I think most of the CUMMINS guys got scared after the first few went through the hoods.

Been in a truck as passenger. Full throttle start only about 30mph. CKO go Boom. Truck goes crash. No beuno. New engine, turbo, hood, engine harness,air to air, cowl area sheet metal, master cylinder ( hence the crash at about 10 mph into the mustang in front of us that hit the brakes in panic from the sound.

It's all ok, only dodge and ford damage, nothing important like a Chevy.

Why the popcorn? :???:

I think he's waiting to hear about exploded turbo carnage or if it works.

Exactly! Am sitting back and watching to see what happens. Do I think this has potential to actually work? Maybe, and there is only one way to find out. Not helping is the vendor's statements of benefits without any real-world data (unless I missed it) to cross-examine / peer-review. But the larger picture question (presuming it works as advertised) is whether this is a complete solution and that is where most of the skepticism lies.

And in all honesty, I am only hoping for success (or at least no harm) as you have clearly put a lot of effort and pride into your work and I do not want to see it hurt unless that is part of an accepted risk. Fabbing-in a remote turbo using known good parts is truly impressive work; the billet wheel (at the moment) is an open question on all levels.

. . .CKO go Boom. Truck goes crash. . . the crash at about 10 mph into the mustang in front of us that hit the brakes in panic from the sound.

It's all ok, only dodge and ford damage, nothing important like a Chevy.

Now *that* is funny!!!! :hihi:

Back