• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help a Brother Out #2

Pull the tube off the turbo and look for any remnants of filter debris. check side to side movement while rotating it with your fingers.
if the impeller blades touch the housing the turbo is in dire need of a rebuild or replacement. also see if there is any resistance when you rotate or spin the impeller. if there is anything that looks like the turbo chewed up, pull the upper plenum intake off the check the inside of the plenum and the intake for debris, also the exit side of the turbo to the intake.

I might be able to get that clamp off to go between the turbo and the plenum to and be able to see you in with a phone camera from there without pulling it if not then I'll pull it... Last damn thing I need is either my engine being smoked or the turbo being roasted LOL..

the hose won't come off with the upper plenum in place there is maybe 1/2" clearance between the turbo and the plenum horn. mainly check the turbo and impeller area after pulling the air filter tube off the turbo. if all looks clean, then chances are your ok or the engine already shot filter confetti out the tail pipe!

Any of y'all ever seen that happen before...

Yes... See if the choices for a "replacement" air filter have the steel media support on the inside. Same metal stuff as the outside "flame arrester" Offhand I believe Wix may have this. They also make a larger High Capacity air filter although that's a tight fit. (Looks like you have the smaller air filter?)

This air filter may be picking up soot from an exhaust leak. It does look like it has some dirt in it. Possible it got wet or snow clogged.

There is a age limit of 1-2 years on some air filters regardless of miles. I found this out when the orange stuff was cracking on an air filter.

Because of "snow" I would recommend a foam wrapped air filter if you can find one. Like this closeout at RA linked below. Note the AcDelco Air filters A1306C appear to have a overwrap as well but are expensive.

AF2292__ra_p.jpg

The Wix filter and example of the inner support. I hope your filter was defective in design or manufacture and didn't feed the engine the inner support.

1a.jpg

Last edited:
I would think if it swallowed the screen it would have made a hell of a racket..the filter was maybe a year old... Yes she has exhaust leaks under the hood on passenger side, but can't seem to be able to get anyone to tackle it.. I don't want to mess with the manifold myself cause no torch's, and if I break the studs I'm pretty much screwed,

Just checked RA on those filters.. honestly there both cheaper then I paid for a new step filter tonight..it was $22.60 .. but had to get one ,I wasn't going to leave that messed up one in there and risk it coming apart and going thru the turbo.. gonna order one from RA Thursday..

where is your exhaust leak at? if the down pipe, that should be an easy fix, but if's it's the crossover doughnut, you can do a temporary fix like I did using some furnace cement and fiberglass header wrap around the two flanges. I did this to mine stuffing the cement filling the gap between the two flanges then coating the wrap in it and pasting it over where I stuffed it in. it's been several months and mine is still holding just fine.

if the leak is somewhere else, maybe an old beer can made into a deflector shied to divert the soot down and away from the air cleaner or fender area where the filter can't suck it up. again it's just a temporary fix to buy you some time.

Unless my phone is giving me a different color than yours- I am gonna disagree about how clean/dirty it looks.
That looks dark as can be to me. I think it is plugged full of everything under the sun and completely plugged-causing it to get sucked in and collapse.
I wouldn’t mind seeing a side by side of the old one next to a new one for color comparison.

you can also check the inside of the filter box, it would also be coated with soot if that's the problem. the pgoto you posted didn't look like the outer wire mesh was black, so I'm with Will and WarWagon on this one, ether dirt or it got wet somehow.

I would think if it swallowed the screen it would have made a hell of a racket..the filter was maybe a year old... Yes she has exhaust leaks under the hood on passenger side, but can't seem to be able to get anyone to tackle it.. I don't want to mess with the manifold myself cause no torch's, and if I break the studs I'm pretty much screwed,

In the mean time just have some air filters around. Change them like every other oil change aka 5,000 miles unless they look dirty then every oil change. My oil changes were at 2500-3000 miles running hard and ate the panel air filters like candy with manifold leaks. Coated everything with soot. IMO you are not running that hard.

When you get to the job you will need new manifolds as they warp. The bolt holes won't line up and the ports leak. How bad of a leak, can you see the soot from the leaks... Photos? Leaks can cause boost to be low IF they are bad enough. We still got boost with a bad leak on the driver side manifold. I believe they sell clones on fleabay now for 1/4 the price I paid for the passinger side one in the past.

Back