• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help a Brother Out #2

It's funny that you mentioned the temp sensor... I'm driving right now and my temp is sitting at approximately 1 8 0. Degrees.. been driving for about 45 minutes so she's nice and warm... But my low coolant light is on and has been on and when I checked the reservoir it was not low

You can wire in an override using an older Ford Starter relay or something similar. I have one on my 95. Just take power from the hot side of the glow controller and put it on the input of the relay. wire the start terminal of the relay to a momentary switch, then the output side of the relay to the output of the glow controller.

Not completely correct, you need a relay with both the start terminal and the ign. terminal. The momentary switch is wired to the ign. and the start terminal.

Last edited:
@WarWagon . What are the two sensors that you put in that box one looks like a temp sensor.. not sure what the black one is.. and what is that wire cable?? Just curious.
While I was stopped I popped the hood the ground on the passenger side battery was pretty loose.... Obviously I shut the truck down to do that... When I started it back up it still didn't cycle the glow plugs... The light came on for a second like it always does when he turned the key on but then it went right back off... I didn't bother doing it again because I figured the engine was hot so the plugs wouldn't cycle anyhow... @dbrannon79 you abbreviated a couple of things...c.t.s. ...i.a.t..... I don't know what those mean?

@WarWagon . What are the two sensors that you put in that box one looks like a temp sensor.. not sure what the black one is.. and what is that wire cable?? Just curious.
While I was stopped I popped the hood the ground on the passenger side battery was pretty loose.... Obviously I shut the truck down to do that... When I started it back up it still didn't cycle the glow plugs... The light came on for a second like it always does when he turned the key on but then it went right back off... I didn't bother doing it again because I figured the engine was hot so the plugs wouldn't cycle anyhow... @dbrannon79 you abbreviated a couple of things...c.t.s. ...i.a.t..... I don't know what those mean?
Looks like he sent you an oil pressure sender, a coolant sender from the drivers side head?. The wires are part of the pass. glow plug harness from what I see. They connect the 2 plugs that go through those heat shields

Back to the bit on the glow plug remover tool...
Don’t get one.

What you do is start by spraying them with wd40 or whatever you have to help the rust.
3/8 deep socket depending how old they are. Break it free and after a couple turns, remove the socket and use fingers to unscrew it- Do not have the socket on it is the trick when it comes free.

When it is unscrewed all the way it should just slide out. If it doesn’t, it is swollen. Dab a little antiseize on the threads and Screw it back in and tighten it. Go to the next one. Change all you can at that time. The truck can be back on the road in minutes. Then see if someone here has one to loan or sell.

Once people learn about the 60G plugs- they never need the tool again. Since I am not really working on others 6.5 anymore I sold mine for $25. Then if not, go for a new one.

Big 2 things is dont run non 60G too long, never forget the antisieze on the threads.

Okay but either way if that happens I need the tool handy because this truck is my only means of transportation... Well I guess I could just screw it back in and wait for the tool to show up

You need to seriously rethink this. No one in their right mind would rely on an old 6.5 for reliable transportation. Get yourself a Toyota truck for reliability.

@dbrannon79 do you know what the 92/93 mechanical trucks used for glow plug timing? I've always wondered if there was a non- mechanical override & computer free way to have the glow plugs run. What would happen from swapping in the GP relay from 92/93 into a 94+ truck?
Ive not had any experience with the non PCM trucks on the glow plug systems. to my knowlage of reading, they simply use a different controller or relay combined with the CTS to time the glow cycle. others will know more on how it all works. any of these trucks regardless of the years can have an override installed with just a push button in the dash and an extra ford starter solenoid

Back