• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Has anybody tried glass lensed headlights for 94 to 99 GMT400's ?

Digging this one up......Hey @BigT are you still happy with these headlights? I looked these up on Amazon (by manufacturer part number so I'd be sure they were the same) and they have mediocre reviews. It seems like all headlights for these trucks are a crapshoot.

I am happy with the housings, but the lens covers have yellowed and crazed from sitting out. I can no longer find the same housings with the right deflector cups that will not melt when used with HID lights, so I am looking at doing a lens swap. Wondering how to get the existing lens off. Was considering a dremel tool with cutting wheel.

IIRC, Retrofit Source has some videos on reworking lenses and it seems that most methods involve baking the assembly for softening the lens-to-body glue. Once the glue is soft, it is a matter of prying off the lens.

Tried Retrofit Source and their website is difficult to work with. Never could find a housing, let alone a video of any kind.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the glass lens style headlights. I bought them from LMC several years ago. I have not had any fitment issues with the grill. Certainly, I am not thrilled with the quality of the plastic that the brackets are made of. Its a little flimsy compared to the OE stuff. Fortunately, I have not had problems with them bouncing or anything. They have had halogen bulbs in them until recently.

I have done a fair amount of reading and research into the aftermarket LED headlights over the last few years. I watched a lot of video reviews and comparisons. The Hikari LED lights have some of the best reviews and they do not glare oncoming traffic. I bought a few sets for different vehicles I have currently or owned in the past. I am very happy with them, so I bought a set for the glass lens housings in my gmt400. They have a very distinct cut-off line and they are a white color, not yellow or blue. They also develop a lot less heat than halogen or HID.

I looked into HID conversions on many occasions for different vehicles because of my dissatisfaction of halogen. Its not easy to find a headlight housing that works well with HID for the GMT400. Typically HID use a projector style housing. Like BigT has noted you need a reflector cup if they don't use a projector. Even these style will not always prevent the glare to traffic in the opposing direction.

Long story short, or long.

There are some LED "bulbs" now that work very well with reflective style housings that are designed for halogen bulbs. The mosy important part is not blinding oncoming traffic.

I have the glass lens style headlights. I bought them from LMC several years ago. I have not had any fitment issues with the grill. Certainly, I am not thrilled with the quality of the plastic that the brackets are made of. Its a little flimsy compared to the OE stuff. Fortunately, I have not had problems with them bouncing or anything. They have had halogen bulbs in them until recently.

I have done a fair amount of reading and research into the aftermarket LED headlights over the last few years. I watched a lot of video reviews and comparisons. The Hikari LED lights have some of the best reviews and they do not glare oncoming traffic. I bought a few sets for different vehicles I have currently or owned in the past. I am very happy with them, so I bought a set for the glass lens housings in my gmt400. They have a very distinct cut-off line and they are a white color, not yellow or blue. They also develop a lot less heat than halogen or HID.

I looked into HID conversions on many occasions for different vehicles because of my dissatisfaction of halogen. Its not easy to find a headlight housing that works well with HID for the GMT400. Typically HID use a projector style housing. Like BigT has noted you need a reflector cup if they don't use a projector. Even these style will not always prevent the glare to traffic in the opposing direction.

Long story short, or long.

There are some LED "bulbs" now that work very well with reflective style housings that are designed for halogen bulbs. The mosy important part is not blinding oncoming traffic.

I am a big fan of the HID lights for the amount of light they throw. The limiting factor is the right housings and they just aren’t making them anymore.

Yes the aftermarket housings and brackets are far cheaper in quality. The lens are thing and overtime will turn yellow and craze. You can try buffing but the crazing will turn into real cracks. Bracket plastic lacks the reinforcing silica. Unfortunately, that’s all we can get at this point.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back