• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Has anybody tried glass lensed headlights for 94 to 99 GMT400's ?

Last edited:
Those are going to have a Flood Beam Pattern, rather than something controlled and safe. Don't even think about putting HID's in them either.
I tried the quad glass headlights after I adjusted them on low as best as I could I found the high-beams lit up the tops of the trees so they went the way of CL.........now run dual headlight system w/HELLA glass headlights....up next LED's.

I just installed the Spiders I bought on Amazon today. They sucked ass.

I like the clear lenses but they were to big for the openings in the grill.

"They are not drop in replacements. The outer dimensions are too large and don't easily fit inside the grill openings, they are 1/8" longer than the OEM lights. You can make them fit, but it makes the final aiming difficult."

I had similar issues with the install. Makes it a total pain when you have to remove the grill to change the headlight bulbs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WMF8SG/?tag=jhuntlink-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had some aftermarket POS headlights too. They are glass though, so I took the glass part off and glued them to another set of brackets. Its OK now but not perfect. I like that they won't yellow on me.

I would be really happy if I could find a quality set of glass headlights that did not need work to install. I'd pay double, rather than spend 1/2 day messing with them

Composite can be buffed to remove the yellow then coat with UV barrier, only time you really need to replace them is when the adjusters fail..even as they age they still can bounce a rock off the lens w/o breaking unless its a really big rock.

A little off topic but UV barrier water based can be used in many ways coat the sidewalls, body mounts, hoses etc..

I would be really happy if I could find a quality set of glass headlights that did not need work to install. I'd pay double, rather than spend 1/2 day messing with them
Only option is dual glass headlights, truck buckets, adjuster screws/springs, trim and grille header panel assembly like I did. if you ever want to spend big then tractor trailer LED headlights are great too.

I suspect that is just wishful thinking these days as all aftermarket glass lens for C/k GMT400 series are junk when it comes to driving in dark areas.

Am seeing good comments about 9011 / 9012 bulbs to replace the 9005 / 9006. Same wattage, but brighter. They tend to make a nice improvement in any of the possible aftermarket lenses they go into.

Oh, and personally I'd like to see all four headlights independent of each other. This way I can aim all four as opposed to aiming the high and low together.

Am seeing good comments about 9011 / 9012 bulbs to replace the 9005 / 9006. Same wattage, but brighter. They tend to make a nice improvement in any of the possible aftermarket lenses they go into.

Oh, and personally I'd like to see all four headlights independent of each other. This way I can aim all four as opposed to aiming the high and low together.
I think back in the day that'show they were done for the GMT400 quads before the composite became standard.

Dug a bit into current offerings and am finding regular commentary that aftermarket lenses are just Ok where the adjusters tend to fail (either strip or lock) after a few years. Of the bunch, TYC's tend to get the best comments.

IIRC Turbine Doc seemed fairly satisfied with a set of headlights from Mr Tailight, but not sure I'd to take the leap to a set that costs ~$250 and are still plastic.

Truly is too bad that Hella does not make a set of headlights for the GMT400. If they did, I'd consider them (even if the price was a premium) as their beam patterns and quality are just awesome.

Back to the original question, seeing as the choices are just mediocre for all of the headlight products, am going to try a set of TYC's with the 9011 / 9012 bulbs as I am not happy with the set I got from LMC a couple years ago. The fact that the adjusters stripped is not helping.

As HELLA goes they are my favorites consider the pods w/conventional adjusters built into the bracket then make your own cover to go over them or trim bezel molded out of any good composite totally custom and really not hard to do.

Then there is the aftermarket Land Rover headlight conversion kits.

Back