• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going mechanical with a Moose Omega Marine IP

Leroy, can you do a pic showing your cruise connection?
I can't find a pic in my manual- Hummer manual has a lot of info but is put together horribly, and everything in it is drawn not photos.

I know I'm going to have to figure something out, hopefully at same time I'm mounting your cf and a certain fan clutch...

Wow, I really don't visit here enough! Awesome project, and I cant wait for the results. That looks like it will be a very impressive pump, and I love those fuel numbers. I love seeing you ingenuity as well. Nice bracket! I changed jobs, and have been putting in 50-60 hour work weeks for the last 5 months or so, which barely leaves enough time for my family, but I really need to find time to do some reading here as this thread really put a smile on my face. Thanks :)

Matt

Wow, I really don't visit here enough! Awesome project, and I cant wait for the results. That looks like it will be a very impressive pump, and I love those fuel numbers. I love seeing you ingenuity as well. Nice bracket! I changed jobs, and have been putting in 50-60 hour work weeks for the last 5 months or so, which barely leaves enough time for my family, but I really need to find time to do some reading here as this thread really put a smile on my face. Thanks :)

Matt
Good to hear from you Matt! I'm glad you enjoyed the read. Hopefully soon there will be some real progress to report.

Is that a normal workload for the new job or just temporary?

Good to hear from you Matt! I'm glad you enjoyed the read. Hopefully soon there will be some real progress to report.

Is that a normal workload for the new job or just temporary?

Its the norm for the time being, as I'm trying to achieve some goals in life. I figure, I'll do this for a couple years, then go back to more normal work schedule. My 6.5 is running great, and has required nothing more than regular maintenance, which is good, since I don't have alot of extra time at the moment.
I can't wait to see the way yours runs with that much fuel to feed it! Your truck was already one of the quickest 6.5's I'd ever seen, but it should be awesome now. :woot:

Matt

Its the norm for the time being, as I'm trying to achieve some goals in life. I figure, I'll do this for a couple years, then go back to more normal work schedule. My 6.5 is running great, and has required nothing more than regular maintenance, which is good, since I don't have alot of extra time at the moment.
I can't wait to see the way yours runs with that much fuel to feed it! Your truck was already one of the quickest 6.5's I'd ever seen, but it should be awesome now. :woot:

Matt
Glad to hear yours is reliable now. I hope I'm finally there as well.....though I may have doomed its reliability with this pump. We'll see!

I did a quick mod to the bracket tonight - I added a boss to the back side of it so I could grind a clearance geoove for the fast idle solenoid. It clears fine right now, but if I have to back it out to get it at a good rpm I will be out of room, so I thought it would be prudent to do this. After that I cleaned up the cable bracket and the fast idle bracket and slapped some paint on them.

I also ordered braided fuel hose and AN fittings from Summit today. I was looking at my work and home schedules and came to the conclusion that if I didn't do the swap soon it wouldn't be happening for a month or so....unacceptable!! With the cable bracket done I think I'm in a good position to start so I took this Thursday and Friday off so I'll have a nice 4 day weekend to do some work. If all goes to plan, I'll be Moosing it this weekend! :D

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

It's on! I spent 2 hours on it tonight and got it torn down nicely. Tomorrow morning will be right into pump swapping and then putting it back together. The puting back together will take a while though because I have a good bit of wiring ahead of me which will include removing the now broken remote start.

I did find one interesting thing when I tore it down. I found out that the boss on top of the turbo isn't strong enough for bracing it! So I'll have to make a new brace. I think I already know how I'll do it so I'll share that when I get to it. Pretty lucky more of that casting didn't let go - that could have been a real nice oil leak! :eek:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

You need something more solid than that for the turbo brace mounting point, like one of the bolts for the compressor or turbine housings.

Progress so far today: after some parts running I have the Moose pump on and the DB2 injector lines in place. I also have the fuel supply hose in place so I can next put the intake back on.

The injector lines are the ones that came with the Optimizer from the military. They are still a little shiny and they were the same OD as the DS4 lines so they should work fine volume-wise. I remember reading about checking the ends of the lines to make sure they aren't squished in from over aggressive installations. I recall the dimension being .090" so I looked through my drill bits. The closest I had was 3/32" (.0938") so I started with that. Interestingly the bit would fit in the injector end of the line but not the pump end. So to double check I stuck it in the pump itself and it fit in that as well, so I decided to drill the pump end of the lines. After that I hit them with a countersink to make a nice transition. I'm not sure if it shows up in the pic or not because it was hard to get my phone to focus on it. Once it was time to install I ran a third of a can of brake parts cleaner through each line set, then a 10 second blast of compressed air through each line.

During the pump swap I used my patented "tool for making sure pump sprocket bolts don't fall into the oil pan and ruin your life" tool. It's a 1-1/2" ID to 1-3/8" OD exhaust adapter - it takes all of the worry out and it's a cheap and effective solution.

The other thing I did was take the restricted water pump fitting out and replaced it with a standard fitting since I'll now be running a single thermostat with a bypass blocker.

Oh one other thing I like to do that I find useful is any time I take injection lines off I like to label them with which cylinder set they came off and which order it was removed.....it takes a lot of the guess work out of reinstallation. Luckily I had thought to do that even way back last year when I removed this set from the engine....somedays I impress myself by not being a complete idiot...some days. :confused:

More after lunch.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Oh I also wanted to show the TPS I'm using. I ordered one from Autozone for a 1993 K3500 with a 6.5. Interestingly it looks like a GM part! The pump came with the pin uninstalled so I put that in place then installed the TPS so I could just feel it engaging when the throttle arm was at idle. I ran to the junkyard this morning and got a pigtail to plug into it off a mechanical truck. Oh and I should mention that the reason I am installing a TPS is that it's needed for the transmission controller I'm installing later.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Interestingly it looks like a GM part!
Yup, much like Ferm mentioned in my "I'm cool" thread, buying AC Delco can get you cheap parts and the other way 'round as in your case. Working for O'Reilly, Autozone and NAPA over the years I remember that the suppliers to the factories will also package and sell to the parts houses.
You just have to look at the part before walking out the door!

Back