• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going mechanical with a Moose Omega Marine IP

My plan is to throw my 6.2 into a s10. That'll be awhile though. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I always wanted to do a Monza. My older sister had a small block one just a little bumped. Had a couple friends with them turning descent times at the track.

Actually a descent streetable light weight car that can fit a big block. But I think the rear would have to supplement a rear radiator.

I always wanted to do a Monza.

My best friend and I used to cruise around in his '76 Vega with a built 396. Dang thing didn't even have front shocks, just nylon limiting straps, built for the strip and barely street legal. Put the hammer down one time and lifted the whole front end several feet off the ground when the 15" Micky Thompsons grabbed.

Like an S-10 or new Blazer or a 55-57 Chevy? They make a Big Block install kit for them, the 6.5 is damn near the same size. My dream would be a 59 Coupe d'Ville with a hot diesel under the hood.
3rd Gen Camaro BB install kit available for them too............

I've always wanted to put a 66-78 Toronado or Eldorado frame front clip on the back of an S10 and mount an engine in the bed, giving me a mid-engine truck. No problem with weight over the rear wheels then. It's a super strong drivetrain (they used it in motorhomes!), but only 3 forward speeds and the axle ratios available aren't many. With the light weight of an S10 and the torque of a 6.2/6.5, I bet it would work though. Plus then you could get crazy with exhaust plumbing with all the space in the bed plus have something cool for other drivers to look at when you pass them....

So last night I made a couple tweaks to the trans program including bumping the shift point up a couple hundred rpm. I didn't test drive it though. This morning on the way to work I got on it and I had to let out when it didn't shift out of 2nd gear at 3800 rpm. So I think I finally have the shift point thing figured out, now I just need to dial it back to where I want it. There is a setting in the software called "Boost Shift Points when Accelerator is Depressed Quickly" or something like that. I finally turned that off. I couldn't find a good explanation of what that does, but I think it was lowering my shift points when I was flooring it which is why I couldn't get the shift points in the real world to match what I was trying to program. I'll do some more playing with the program tonight and see if I can get it to the way I want. After the video yesterday, I'm thinking about short shifting the 1-2 shift so it can sit in 2nd gear longer, thereby loading the turbo more. It seems with the gear spread I'm just not in 2nd gear very long and I feel like that's hurting acceleration.

The cool thing with this module is that there are 4 programs available, so I always move my previous best tune to the #1 slot and then put my newest tune to test in the #2 slot - this way I'm never screwed if I make a mistake. Up to this point my experimental tunes have always been the better tunes so I have to switch to tune 2 everytime I get in the truck.....I guess today my cautiousness paid off.

I think your "Boost Shift Points When Accelerator Is Depressed Quickly" is the electronic version of kicking it down into "passing gear" when you stomped on the gas pedal with a TH350 or TH400 or with a C4, Torqueflite 727, etc. You need to find a rev limiter in the program that you can set the upshift rpm at when you have the accelerator floored.

I think your "Boost Shift Points When Accelerator Is Depressed Quickly" is the electronic version of kicking it down into "passing gear" when you stomped on the gas pedal with a TH350 or TH400 or with a C4, Torqueflite 727, etc. You need to find a rev limiter in the program that you can set the upshift rpm at when you have the accelerator floored.
It doesn't work that way. The shift points are altered graphically - with 2 separate lines for each gear, 1 for upshift and 1 for downshift. The axes of each graph are TPS and RPM. So it's pretty simple. The problem is everything works as expected except full throttle, it just wasn't shifting where it should. Now it seems to and I think it was that parameter I turned off that didn't really have an explanation. That parameter was in reference to depressing the throttle pedal quickly rather than slowly. Somehow it changes the shift schedule, but it seemed to be making it not work the way I expected. I'm sure it would have been apparent with datalogging, but since I'm having to do this the trial-and-error method it's taking me longer. I think I'm getting close now.

Ok, I think I'm finally getting close. I messed with the tune more and I'm measuring 6.65 0-60 and 10.35 0-80. I'm making this my baseline tune for now. I just did another tune and raised each full throttle shift point 100rpm to see how that works. As you can see the 1-2 shift is short shifted, and I think that's going to work ok. I'll keep trying different things there to see what works best. Finally the converter clutch is engaging in 2nd gear as well - you can just see the rpm dip before the 2-3 shift. It looks like acceleration slows a little between 55 and 60 so I'll see if I can improve that. Otherwise, I think I'm finally getting this thing working the way I want/expect. I will share as I get more updates.

Like an S-10 or new Blazer or a 55-57 Chevy? They make a Big Block install kit for them, the 6.5 is damn near the same size. My dream would be a 59 Coupe d'Ville with a hot diesel under the hood.
My dream car is a '60 Cadillac convertible... all stock or at least stock looking with a 500 Caddy under the hood. I'm big fan of '55 and '56 too.

It doesn't work that way. The shift points are altered graphically - with 2 separate lines for each gear, 1 for upshift and 1 for downshift. The axes of each graph are TPS and RPM. So it's pretty simple. The problem is everything works as expected except full throttle, it just wasn't shifting where it should. Now it seems to and I think it was that parameter I turned off that didn't really have an explanation. That parameter was in reference to depressing the throttle pedal quickly rather than slowly. Somehow it changes the shift schedule, but it seemed to be making it not work the way I expected. I'm sure it would have been apparent with datalogging, but since I'm having to do this the trial-and-error method it's taking me longer. I think I'm getting close now.

Have you tried reading the directions?:rolleyes:

60 would be my second choice. Ragtops just aren't practical here in Nebraska for nine months of the year. I'm just a sucker for those rocketship tailfins with the twin "thruster" running lights. As a coupe, the sideview body lines just scream "Jetsons rocket car". I would love to drop a 600 hp LML Duramax with a 6 speed Alison behind it. Satin black with black chrome and black annodized stainless trim. Smoked glass, HID/LED lighting, custom interior that keeps the original's flavor with modern amenities.

I have a friend with a 59 Caddy and a lml 4 door with a totaled title. I've been trying to get him to drop the caddy body of the truck frame for a year now.

I agree on the 60 being the best.

I finally tried a couple boosted launches tonight. The first one I did I didn't video. I tried 5psi on some older pavement, it spun just a touch but then it set me back in the seat hard! So I looked for a place to do some videos. I found a stretch of road with brand new asphalt. I figured it would be sticky so I tried 6psi of boost. Nope it spun way too much and it was slow. Then I tried 4 psi on another stretch of old asphalt. It chirped just a touch then pulled nice! The 1-2 shift is kind of lazy - I'm not sure how much I can speed that up, and if I can speed it up then I may start breaking things. I'll probably call it good enough, but I'll look into it a bit to see what's possible. The 2nd video has some lighting issues due to late evening sun, but you get the idea. I haven't timed it yet, but just looking at the time ticker on my phone it lools like it's closer to 6 seconds.

I finally tried a couple boosted launches tonight. The first one I did I didn't video. I tried 5psi on some older pavement, it spun just a touch but then it set me back in the seat hard! So I looked for a place to do some videos. I found a stretch of road with brand new asphalt. I figured it would be sticky so I tried 6psi of boost. Nope it spun way too much and it was slow. Then I tried 4 psi on another stretch of old asphalt. It chirped just a touch then pulled nice! The 1-2 shift is kind of lazy - I'm not sure how much I can speed that up, and if I can speed it up then I may start breaking things. I'll probably call it good enough, but I'll look into it a bit to see what's possible. The 2nd video has some lighting issues due to late evening sun, but you get the idea. I haven't timed it yet, but just looking at the time ticker on my phone it lools like it's closer to 6 seconds.

Ummm... Holy Sh1t.

I just ran a timer on the video and it looks like the 0-60 was right around 5.9 seconds!! Wow! I knew not boosting my launches was leaving some on the table, but I didn't expect quite that much! I think I'll leave the 1-2 shift alone....I don't need to start breaking stuff. I'm sure I'll have other stuff break on its own soon enough....;)

I just ran a timer on the video and it looks like the 0-60 was right around 5.9 seconds!! Wow! I knew not boosting my launches was leaving some on the table, but I didn't expect quite that much! I think I'll leave the 1-2 shift alone....I don't need to start breaking stuff. I'm sure I'll have other stuff break on its own soon enough....;)
Wow, AWESOME!

The parasitic drag is worth it when you have to worry about losing traction and going sideways. Have you tried changing your shift timing yet? Post up your tune file, and I can download the BAUMANN software, and compare it to a GM 4L80E tune file to see what the shift timing looks like VS what GM runs. Or you can email it to me if you can't upload it. Might be a few days before I can look at it though, having hand surgery tommorrow sometime(waiting for the phone call to find out when).

Back