• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 3.6 VVT

Yup, what them others are saying. Seems that there is no end to it.
I did get most of the breakdowns done before the temps dipped below the freeze range though. Only one now left is the bright/dim switch on that toyodah car thing, and, to get that Triumph motorcicle finished. When attempting to slide the jugs over the pistons, 3 cylinder and all three jugs in one casting, I busted a second compression ring. Guess I will wait until I can get some help to keep it all stabilized before attempting that again. New rings comes for all three cylinders, found a set on fleabay, $60.00. Guess I now have some spares. 😹😹😹

My homemade primer toolView attachment 70461
Adapted a rubber air nozzle tip to it and filling thru the OPS opening. Slow but it appears that I have oil to the heads
If a person could find one of those stainless steel water/air charged fire extinguishers, flush it out good, install a weed sprayer type of a hose/control valve onto it, adapt the tube to a ferrel to pipe fitting then adapt that to the oil pressure sensor port on the engine.
Cill it with oil and prime it up.

They say a straight weight oil and non detergent is best for breakin procedure.
I found some straight 30 non detergent at NAPA and then grabbed a jug of ZDDP to add to it. I have read and heard where the ZDDP helps to prevent cam failure.
I alaways used to use straight 20 wt for break-in on car engines.
This 30 wt I acquired is for the Triumph motorcycle engine and the recommended viscosity for it is 20-50.

What's the run in procedure? Same as flat tappet?

Below are very good videos from Total Seal and there test result's of a load of different break in oils... And I do the same thing and pull a load for the first 500 miles to work the motor hard.

Attachments

• Break-In+Oil+Report1.pdf
    388.1 KB · Views: 2
But then, not many of us has that fancy dyno musheeeen. So then what ?
The old timers I worked with taught Me, do not drive at a steady speed for 500 miles. Vary the load.
So, how I would brake them in. Drive them under light load for about 20 miles then back to the garage. Check fluids and be sure of no leeeeks.
Then back onto the road. Over here is good break in territory. Hills, lots of hills, some quite steep and some not so steep.
This allows for a very nice variance in full to no and even negative load.
Heading uphill, full on power, up to about 60 MPH, back off to about 40 then back into it again, not running much over about 60, for the first 30 or 40 miles. Then the speed increase to about 75 for about 40 miles, then up to about 85 to 90 and beteween each power surge, back down to about 60 to 70 when the higher speeds is obtained. Hitting into the throttle, everything but passing gear.
When decelerating after a power surge, full let out of the throttle, and when getting a good down hill run is even nicer as the vacuum really builds.
The old timers told Me that this acceleration forces the rings to the cylinder walls and the deceleration builds the vacuum and that helps the rings to gain flexibility.
How true all that is I have no idea. I will say though, it is a lot of fun and I never had an engine suck oil past the rings.

If you watched all the videos, one was how to do it without a dyno, yes kinda like "the old timers", a diesel, any diesel needs to be under power as much as possible, not necessarily max power but heavy loaded pulls over and over..

Most dynos have a "break in program " that can load and unload the torque for as long a run as the dyno can handle, on some that could be over a hour of simulated hard hilly pulls on and off the power..

So yea, the more you load the motor with the correct lube and heat the better everything will seat...

Back