• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gail Banks

I feel like we should have a thread- everything Gale Banks.

Funny thing is, in person he is more fun to be with than you can imagine, he doesn’t put up with nonsense (bs) from anyone. And with his psyco level of knowledge, he still listens open minded to any and all ideas. Problem is when you think you have a new concept, he goes
“Oh yeah, thats a good one. I think it was 1979 we first tried that and found out...”

Mark at Danville did all these same tests years ago. He was the one that proved stock bottom ends could hold 700hp with his tuning because he includes cylinder pressure monitoring in his tuning.

The one thing that really urks me about him is calling others and there numbers jackassery. Several have pushed 650+ to the wheels on bone stock L5P's with tuning, intake, exhaust, and lift pump. No, it's not ideal, yes it's out of it's map, but they're pushing close to 200hp more than he is pushing.

Last edited:

I found this pretty interesting. I have never put much thought into the way the diff covers are made.
Yep, and the ones making most aftermarket ones didn't put much thought into how they were redirecting the lube.........I'm guilty of buying one that he exposed as a bad design it has a dip stick and temp gauge port.......

With some tech knowledge turning up the proverbial wick isn't rocket science.

Keeping it together past the oem warranty, idling like stock, getting better fuel economy while turning up the wick actually does require real science!

It's why he's enjoyed a decades long business relationship with GM, and the Dept of Defense!

The man spends cubic dollars on R&D on every product his Co sells. The others tweek some code or fab up some metal, rent a dyno for a couple of hours (if your lucky) to get marketing peak #'s.

Truth be told, OEM designs are the culmination of compromises at a set dollar point. Lots of state of the art science goes into OEM powertrain design, Mr Banks just makes it better.

I can't believe he shares as much of his knowledge and research in YouTube videos, but its pretty compelling to see, not just hear someone say, but see how his products blow everyone else out of the water.

Pretty smart of him to have put out all the “research” diff cover videos.

I was at a junkyard last week getting a rear window for my sons dodge (now he understands why you don’t let a floor jack roll around freely- haha). I was asking a guy there how come they had a pile of rear diff covers there for truck diffs. He said- “IDK, we started that about a year ago because guys kept wanting just the stock cover.” Then another guy that worked there spoke up- “dude, hella used ‘cooling’ covers on Craigslist and ebay because of Banks”. I immediately got it, about 7-8 guys around us that didn’t no anything on it. One guy piped up he just bought a perfect one that is over 200 new and he paid $90.

If Banks didn’t market these like this on Youtube, it would have been just another cover in an already flooded market. Now his went from one of a bunch to choose from to the only cover to bother buying.

On the killing a dmax videos, he spoke like other people barely hold power long enough to get a reading then shut it down and he puts his runs through serious loaded testing.
I keep watching each new dmax video waiting for the big improvements they did, or the max HP/torque under load constantly for 6 hours showing what they did...
But now I feel like it is a new tv series that you think is gonna be good so you watch it till the 6 or 7 one before realizing this will never get a second season...

I dont think anyone that does hotrods thinks more monitoring capability is bad. And with everything digital now, recording things to a flash drive of types isn’t a bad idea. But I don’t really see a big wow factor from this dmax line of videos. Is there anything from that that was new to you guys? The monitoring is great, but I already new I could add digital sensors anywhere or tap existing ones and read what’s happening. Any laptop can record any live data your program can display on screen.

A couple guys at work were talking about getting idash stuff and choking on the price, so that stuff doesn’t impress me alot.

Am I the only one underwhelmed with this dmax video series at this point?

I think the Duramax series, as well as the monster truck engine series, are full of basic diesel performance knowledge. Sure they are using the most current Duramax platform for product development, testing and display but the same principles apply to all diesel engines. Turbo efficiency, effects of the intercooler, fuel supply, etc, they all factor in to getting the most out of a diesel engine.

One other thing he implies for most of it is how much less stress is in the motor, the more efficient, ie cooler air charge, cooler temps etc the more the motor will be happy for longer...

I agree with most if not all of it, but how much could be kept the same on the road in use, like the his W/A cooling, he has all the cold water needed for as long as he needs it, a truck will be limited to how cool the water can be kept, among other things....

I highly doubt he gives out all he finds, I wouldn't, I'd give out enough to sell what I wanted to and keep the best for myself...

clippped
I agree with most if not all of it, but how much could be kept the same on the road in use, like the his W/A cooling, he has all the cold water needed for as long as he needs it, a truck will be limited to how cool the water can be kept, among other things....

I highly doubt he gives out all he finds, I wouldn't, I'd give out enough to sell what I wanted to and keep the best for myself...

Yep

Watched 1-9. Neat data capture. I really like the cylinder pressure capture. Having done some heat balance testing for radiator size and engine size it is fun stuff. Snapshot works for power and pressure but temperature takes a while to steady state. That intercooler is unobtainium. And we don't know what he is using for a radiator and fan. Real-world underhood road conditions are hard to duplicate.

There was some product placement (monster energy drink can) Amsoil plug and other stuff and not to mention Youtube following so its a business and slick marketing too. Still have to be leary of all the claims.

I'd like to know more about how velocity of air plays its role. Its measured in the Mass flow sensor but changes at different spots.

clipped....
Am I the only one underwhelmed with this dmax video series at this point?

Will you are just old and are knowledgable. Its like sitting in a training seminar now vs when you were younger. Now we have to sit all day or week depending on the subject to gain something useful and it's usually a better or more a thorough understanding than learning something new.

Looking at the cylinder pressure curve and piston timing I gained a better appreciation of just how hard it is to keep the pressure even more plateau-like vs a spike.

I knew it but don't think I fully appreciated how fast the piston was moving down and the physical limitations of the fuel burning and temp rise of air to try to keep increasing the pressure. Not just the timing of the injection either.

I have often wondered why a multifuel engine can't be developed that could extend the plateau. Looking at the market I guess it is easier to tune the engine to a sweet spot and have a constant variable transmission.

I remember when GM shelved the OPEL ECO Speedster which was all carbon fiber body w/small diesel compound turbo 6 speed Doug Nash using paddle shifter it got 113 mpg driving normally and 75+ beating on it......all the industry has the tech to build crazy MPG vehicle today but that will not keep their profit line where they like it.

Back