• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Leak

I finally have time to try fix this. After doing some investigating the leak is coming down off the starter. So I took the turbo and heat shield off and it was black soot but no moisture. I started it and it still leaked but not from the injectors/hoses or the glow plugs. Next I need to take off the intake and go from there. I'm really thinking it is one of the steel lines to the IP. I'll know tomorrow since I'm done for the night.

If it is running off the starter it should be on the side of the engine. If not the injectors or return hoses it would have to be an injector line, or that little nipple on the back inj. If it was an inj. line it would likely run rough.

If it is running off the starter it should be on the side of the engine. If not the injectors or return hoses it would have to be an injector line, or that little nipple on the back inj. If it was an inj. line it would likely run rough.
Nope all dry. No drips nothing from the nipples, injectors, hoses or Glow's.

I found it. It is leaking on the passenger side of the IP from just behind the little module (not sure what it is) phillips head screw. It looks like I need a new IP. Take a look at the video. It's hard to see the drips underneath the little module.

I cant see on my phone clear. But if it is leaking, i shure would try resealing whatever is leaking instead of replacing the ip.
Gasket kit should be in the $20 range I suspect.

It looks like I will need to take the IP out in order to fix it. It is down in a tight space. I couldn't see exactly where it was coming out but I saw it drip right under/behind the phillips head screw you see there.

You know when you have something and don't think to use it. I have a snake camera that should be able to allow me to see right where it is coming from. That is the next step.

A lot of the cameras have built in lights now. If yours does and you can’t see it good with normal daylight, try doing it at night also with no outside light source except the camera. Had that trick help me a couple times.

I think deejaaa is sayin the fuel line connection into the ip threads.

A lot of the cameras have built in lights now. If yours does and you can’t see it good with normal daylight, try doing it at night also with no outside light source except the camera. Had that trick help me a couple times.

I think deejaaa is sayin the fuel line connection into the ip threads.

maybe I'm not understanding. It's been 12 years since I last replaced an IP in a 6.5 but as I remember the only fuel lines going into the IP is from the FFM and it goes into a barb which is threaded but I don't think you are referring to that. What are you referring to?

still has the line that goes into the IP. that can't be run to the top of intake. it is connected to the IP, at the back of it, under the intake199  Reassembling The 6.5 Diesel Part 12   Injector Lines  Harnesses  etc   YouTube.png .

still has the line that goes into the IP. that can't be run to the top of intake. it is connected to the IP, at the back of it, under the intakeView attachment 52795 .
You are referring to the 8 lines going out to the injectors. Those aren't leaking. I will double check just to be sure. I had one go bad on my 95 about a month ago. That was one of the first places I looked.

The module on the passenger side is the timing stepper motor that advances or retards the timing. It's complex in it's workings, but, you may be able to simply reseal it without a pump rebuild. Make sure you know where the leak is coming from as the video isn't good enough for us to help. A good pic is worth 1000x more than a bad video.

Here is an idea of what's where and thanks to forum software updates over the past decade the pics are all just attachments now instead of the intended "in-line".

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/ds4-ip-rebuild-time-mechanical-aspect-only.21893/

I used my snake camera to get a better look and it was hard to get it bent in the correct position but it looks like it is coming from behind that stepper motor. Here is my question, since I have to take it out to seal up the leak and the IP has at least 150k why wouldn't I just replace it?

Back