• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Leak

Here are the pics: The first is of the truck, middle is about how the line runs and the last is another engine. It seems the return line runs under the intake manifold.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 21
To state the obvious: The FFM can leak. It's got a couple o-rings in it and the damn fuel heater loves to pinhole itself and leak out the wires - while still working. The heater can leak at the wire inlet or through the wire itself into the connector. I have had both happen. If the bottom of the FFM is damp I would replace the orings and heater NQA.

I remember a car show Camaro one time that leaked really slow but no one could see from where. Triple duece carb set up. I joked about using flour on it and looking for the wet spot. Sure enough the owner did it. He used a siphoning blowgun with air pressure down around 30 psi and turned all the chrome white. Found the leak after a few hours of sitting. Said he spent 4 hours with his compressor at 120 psi blowing the flour off the car. But where it got wet from the gas, he had to dig out “flour goop”. So if you get desperate- there’s an option. Just don’t try washing off the flour with a hose. I don’t really recommend this until you hit the panic button- it would be rough cleaning it from a dd truck.

Using spray Tinactin (yes, the anti-fungal stuff) also works. It's basically a spray-on powder. I have used it to find a hydraulic leak in an aluminum case. Worked perfectly and it would have eradicated any fungus that might have been in the metal pores.

It was the return line. I don't know how you guy's did it but I disco'd the hose on top and connected the new hose. I then clipped the old 2" from the metal hose at the bottom and used a barbed splice to join the new and old.

It wasn't the return line. It is leaking again. Here is what has been done. New o rings on FFM, new return hose, new FFM fill hose, New hose from FFM to IP, and new hose to t-valve. I also raised my FFM 7 inches so it is above the upper intake. The only thing I didn't replace is the small bent hose from the front of the IP to the return. I just ran it and it is not leaking from the front return line or any of the hoses that I have replaced. The fuel is dripping down the bell housing slightly off center on the passenger side. Where is it coming from? All the injector hoses are dry and the lines connecting to the injectors are dry. The only thing I'm thinking is the IP is leaking possibly at one of the 8 lines. There are a couple other things I noticed. On cold start up it stutters slightly for a second or 2 but then is fine. The other is when I park facing up hill it takes 2 -3 cranking cycles at 15-20 seconds each before it starts.

Sounds like the leak is pre ip, allowing air in line when not under pressure. Then it purges after starting.

Is the wif drain valve bad?

Engine off, lift pump on with battery charger on if needed and look see if being under pressure causes it.

Since you raised your ffm up you should be able to get a flash light and look in the engine valley. If you see fuel in the engine valley then you can start looking around the ip. If nothing in the valley then probably the supply hose or return hose leaking on top of the bell housing.

If anything gets in the valley it will run down the bell housing

Back