• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel contamination

There are companies that have tank coatings. Not sure how to use them or how they work. If you do have rust in the tank, it might be worth looking into.

I would find another tank to use rather than mess with the gas tank.
The junk yard might work for that.
it was a thought for what can he do without spending $$ and aim towards cleaning the muck out of his fuel system in a pinch. chances are the fuel tank in his other truck doesn't have any rust if it still has good gas in it and it's not rotten gas.

a new diesel tank would cost in the neighborhood of $200 including a new sending unit. from RA. I think getting one coated isn't worth the cost on these trucks.

it was a thought for what can he do without spending $$ and aim towards cleaning the muck out of his fuel system in a pinch. chances are the fuel tank in his other truck doesn't have any rust if it still has good gas in it and it's not rotten gas.
Sometimes a guy can luck out and find parts cheap.
I had quite a few good parts that I let get scrapped. Including several fuel tanks

even if he could get his hand on one of those boat fuel tanks that are portable. lay it next to his aux tank, strap it down and run the hoses to it. that would work too. iirc they normally hold around 10 gallons.

this would give him a chance to still keep the truck running and be able to clean out the big tank on his truck properly.

1660144878533.png1660144931668.png

This might sound like a dumb question... The tank is solid aluminum.. why can't I just use aluminum brightness or mirac acid on the inside of the tank wouldn't that kill anything in it.. I thought about Clorox bleach but that would leave a residue

don't use any muratic acid on aluminum! that will eat the tank and make a really bad poison gas cloud!! once you are able to empty it of the fuel. wash it out with ethanol free gas and drain it. the brightener will also eat away any protective coating if it has any that keeps it from corroding.

Actually the stuff on the tank walls was in it when I got the tank.. then it sat for over a year. Maybe closer to 2 years before your it in the truck. It will wipe off if you scrub it not completely I don't think I'll have to try.... I'm almost wondering if the fuel is so Brown because I put that tank cleaner in it a week and a half ago when I filled the tank it might have removed a bunch of that staining off the tank and it's turning the fuel Brown but that's just a guess. Fuel color may also be because of all the tranny fluid in it.. again just a guess.
Right now there is probably five gallons or so in the tank. I literally just stopped and got 5 gallons of fresh diesel in a diesel can. . Tomorrow I'll get some ethanol free gas. Don't know if I'll be able to get the kind of amounts will was talking about but going to do my best

I don't know if I ever mentioned to this about the truck's problem but it shifts awful hard sometimes.. not so much the transmission itself shifting but the lever inside sometimes you have to pull really hard on it to put it in gear other times it moves really easy.

Just dumb thinking... Would a input speed sensor cause the problems with the truck? Another thing I've thought of is high line pressure in tranny can make it not shift properly but this is second tranny and same problem. So if it's either of those I'd think it would have to be in the wiring .. just random thoughts

Your issues are all over the place. Honestly best thing is get one solved at a time.

Sometimes one thing will take care of other issues as well. So only fix the critical now. Make it stop safely is #1, make it run ok is #2.

On the running side- your bugs is the biggest concern. Focus on that. Once it is done, you can do YouTube video showing the shifter cable and everything related. That would be the next thing on the transmission. On the throttle you could have a bad app, or half dozen other issues. When you try messing with 2 or 3 different things at once it never turns out good- seen this a million times.

My best advice really:
You might find yourself better of selling the diesel because price is higher right now than they are really worth. It’s a “cool” factor and next year when biden gets his mits deeper into this economy and the price of fuel jumps again but probably 10-20% higher than last time the market is gonna fall on old diesels.

Take the money from it and fig the gasser that will be less repair cost and lower fuel costs. Run that one till ya get on track with cash better and in a couple years get a better condition diesel.

The diesel fuel looks to be "wet" with water or crap growing in it. The fuel tank is garbage as the bugs have corroded 'pits' in it. It's more expensive to clean the tank than it is to simply replace it with NEW. (Not some used tank that has a different infection in the tank.)

You should send the fuel out for testing to see what is growing in it. IDK and tried a product that didn't work. Several hundred in fuel filters later I tried two other products and finally got it killed. But not before it took out the entire fuel system on Patch. Me and my buddy are experts at dropping and replacing 1993 and 1995 fuel tanks quickly now. Only the newer 'plastic' tanks (say a 2005 LLY Duramax) can be cleaned as the stuff doesn't appear to stick so well.

Several brands have the same pesticide in them (Diesel bug killer) so check the active ingredients to make sure they are actually different. Discussion here:

That tank shouldn’t be that heavy to remove. Drain it out into another container. Pull it out and use the gas to wash it out. You can even get you a toilet brush and add some kind of longer handle on it to scrub with. Berryman’s B-12 that you pour in the tank will desolve a lot of crud by its self. Once it’s as clean as you can get it. Connect the feed line to the LP and leave the return going into a bucket. Run the truck or just run the LP till you have clear diesel flowing out before connector the return back to the tank.

Back