• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel contamination

Stoney

Reaction score
I opened the peacock valve and let the fuel flow into a empty water bottle earlier.. after letting it settle in the bottle I poured off the fuel that was on top into another bottle. So I'm going to post pics of both bottles. The nice yellow one is the fuel that was on top of the crap in the less full bottle.

Attachments

• 16593075403291531231291.jpg
    16593075403291531231291.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the world of fuel bugs.
You are about to hate diesels a lot more.

This is time critical. The longer it stays in there, the worse this will be.

Drain and throw away all the fuel & fuel filter, drop the tank and clean it with gasoline. Pump about 10 gallons of clean gasoline through the fuel lines and ip with key on, engine off. Buy 2 fuel filters and install one after the gasoline fuel line wash out.
Remove and soak the return lines from injectors in gasoline.

Put the tank back in and get new diesel fuel in there. Add bug killer juice for the next 3-4 tanks of fuel at least.

With any luck- you won’t have to buy a new ip and injectors. Depends how bad it is and how long it has been in there. About 25% need new ip within 10,000 miles. About 50% need new injectors within 10,000 miles.

Welcome to the world of fuel bugs.
You are about to hate diesels a lot more.

This is time critical. The longer it stays in there, the worse this will be.

Drain and throw away all the fuel & fuel filter, drop the tank and clean it with gasoline. Pump about 10 gallons of clean gasoline through the fuel lines and ip with key on, engine off. Buy 2 fuel filters and install one after the gasoline fuel line wash out.
Remove and soak the return lines from injectors in gasoline.

Put the tank back in and get new diesel fuel in there. Add bug killer juice for the next 3-4 tanks of fuel at least.

With any luck- you won’t have to buy a new ip and injectors. Depends how bad it is and how long it has been in there. About 25% need new ip within 10,000 miles. About 50% need new injectors within 10,000 miles.
I'll go one step further, get a new fuel tank and sender.

I changed the fuel filter a few weeks ago, it was nasty, and had a sludge on it kinda like when oil and water get mixed and sit. I have a couple extra filters thanks to one of y'all that sent me a few they didn't need. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull the filter and see what's in it this time.

Yeah, it was infected then. Look around for a place that sells non ethanol gasoline for the clean out.

Ethanol is what got ya. So many people thing it’s just all good. Until they go through this. Corn belongs on a dinner plate or feeding critters. Has no business in a fuel tank.

Like Les said- try getting some samples and call the place where you bought it. Chances are they will tell you get a lawyer, so don’t threaten one. Just tell them what you have and find out if there is a gubmint agency there that will fight for ya

Call the State: Generally Weights and Measures. There may be a number on the pump(s) for them. I turn them loose on suspect bad fuel, low octane gasoline, and the sign price not matching the pump price. Civil fine to remind them to not F Up.

Really?! You were stupid enough to leave your sign broken with the lower wrong pump price TWO DAYS for government to have Coffee and Doughnuts before they came out the NEXT DAY? And thus made them do the damn paperwork: yeah you be paying for that privilege!

'Yeah I have a ping problem and the state says the fuel octane tests fine' doesn't leave the dealer any room but to look up TSB's.

The State will check the Diesel filters and the tank for contamination. So unless they cleaned the tank they may have a bribe to pay err, um, fine.

The State shut down this B99 shitshow supplier until they fixed their problems. Lots of good info in here for you.

Unless the biocide kills the exact bug you are guessing and it may be ineffective. Gasoline does kill everything except as noted above. The dead bug clumps of bodies will clog the fuel filters. Fuel becomes corrosive and will ruin the IP so fuel is a waste.

Any fuel you add becomes contaminated unless you have killed the bugs and have bug killer in the fuel. :eek:

Last edited:
That looks like a combination of sludge algae and rust. better get that tank washed out before the rust is too bad for the tank to be of any good use. considering how expensive auxiliary tanks are. you might want to look into having some experienced welder cut the top open and have the inside sand blasted and cleaned, then weld the top back on. a lot of times they can cut it on the top at the seam welds and then go back together with it and you won't be able to tell that anyone touched it.

a new oem replacement tank is close to $100 on RA. maybe cheaper to just order a new tank and sender, re-plumb the factory lines and be on your way.

@dbrannon79 it's a aluminum tank. Shouldn't rust. And if it was rust it damn sure should not have gotten past all the filters to make it to the water separator or whatever that peacock valve goes to....
I was thinking maybe metal fuel line rusted
Or it could have been rust from the source where You purchase fuel ?

how much metal line is left after you plumbed in the aux tank? just to the lift? it's possible it's from the line after the lift, but if that is the case the lines are about to blow through and leak if not already. see if you can get a sample direct from the tank before the lift pump and post a pic. like Marty says, it's ether from the source you got the fuel from or your truck. if you have a clean empty fuel jug, stop by where you get your fuel and fill a gallon or so and take it home to look at. I wouldn't say anything to the station's clerk till your for sure that's were it came from.

if there was moisture in the aux tank that can cause the algae growth and also cause the lines to rust fast. moisture combined with ethanol makes things even worse faster like Will said.

Back