• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel contamination

I'm not trying to second guess you guys because you have more experience than me...
But are you sure the oil pressure sensor controls the lift pump on a 1997? Things I'm reading say that that was only open till 94 or 95... Granted my truck is a early 97 so it could be a cross over 96.

easiest way to tell is fire it up with the OPS disconnected and put you hand on the LP and see if it's running. just don't let it be like that for longer than you can check and shut it off. reconnect and check again.

Yeah I'm thinking a fuel pressure gauge may be in order.. gotta see what it would cost. Truck acted up yesterday alot. Gonna take the ops cable off here shortly and start it as @dbrannon79 said to test theory. And gonna check the harness over really good to see if I find anything wrong with it.
I do have to give her credit, yesterday I was doing tree work , we use a truck like mine except single cab with 6 foot wooden walls in the box for a chipper truck..(to catch/haul all the wood chips).
End of the day he went to start it and the starter wouldn't catch. Gears probably stripped. So since it's a standard we said screw it hooked my truck up to it and tow started it.. no big thing usually except that truck was loaded front to back side to side 6 feet high with wood chips and leaves etc that had been through the chipper.. that stuff is heavy as hell especially when wet as it was..plus the big commercial chipper hooked to the truck. I honestly thought my truck would have trouble getting it Rollin,. Nope, she took off with it like it all wasn't back there. Actually shocked me.. the chipper truck has a 5.7 in it and as heavy as we load it it usually has a lil trouble getting rolling loaded with chipper behind it..
So that made me feel a little good about my old truck for the day..lol..

So I unplugged the ops.. pump still ran. Even while warming glo plugs.. so the was a ghost idea.
Took another fuel sample from t valve.. only tiny bit of rust. Fuel looks murky but that could be cause I put a bunch of tranny fluid in the tank.
I committed sacrilege, t jumped over to diesel place to snoop around.. found a couple posts on there guys having similar issues, from what I read some said temp sensor in crossover can cause hard shifting, under fueling..others said throttle position sensor can as well.. not sure what that is..but I have a spare a/c Delco temp sensor still in the box I'm gonna put in when the engine cools off. It's worth a shot . When I unplugged the temp sensor earlier (engine off) I heard a tick or click sound in the plug on the und of the wire. Started investigating, if I hold the wires tight in one hand right below the plug and twist the plug back and forth with other hand I hear the little click/tic sound coming from in the plug. Not sure if that is normal or not.
Also read something about having ecm? Read with a gm scanner and something about throttle reading at Idel. The guy said his was at 58 percent at idel.
Also that the throttle has to be adjusted or tuned ? Are the talking about the black round thing attached to the pedal? I don't remember there being anything to adjust on it.. ?

@ak diesel driver what is tdco. I know it's to make the truck relearn everything if I remember right. But how is it done.. only thing I'd worry about is that I don't have that little micro chip thing in my pmd plug. Resistor or whatever it is.. I tried putting one in it one time and with it in I could not get the plug to snap together. . Granted I got them from AutoZone so maybe they weren't made correctly but it seemed like the plug just could not go into the PMD with that little circuit board in there. If I do the relearn won't that wipe everything out and it would need that circuit board to help it reprogram?

we're poor.. and I mean dirt floor poor...

Bluntly the bugs growing in the fuel don't care. They can double in numbers in 24 hours. In the tank of your poor truck or the most luxurious yacht out there.

You got to take action to kill them dead before they wipe out the injection system with slimy coatings of corrosive goo. Even being the cheaper Diesel injection systems out there bugs get expensive real quick with "Replace everything" from the tank to the injectors and clean the rest, maybe. (lines you my be able to save some of the fuel lines.)

Fuel filters are like face masks. They won't filter the bugs as they are too small. Clumps of dead bugs do clog the filter.

You need to do something different. IDK ... Different location for work so you can afford a vehicle that is in better shape. Maybe closer to a bus stop if you don't have that option already? This one is simply beyond your ability to keep running even with unlimited parts. Vehicles become a black hole for money at some point. You can't afford to own a black hole.

This has already gone "off the rails" with lift pumps etc. The bugs still growing be the problem that will ruin any lift pump out there. Been there had a pile of Bio-hazard dead ones.

Get the bugs D E A D then worry about cleanup. @Will L. gave you a good way to do this. Or get rid of the truck while it runs and drives aka worth more than "Come tow it" scrap.

@ak diesel driver what is tdco. I know it's to make the truck relearn everything if I remember right. But how is it done.. only thing I'd worry about is that I don't have that little micro chip thing in my pmd plug. Resistor or whatever it is.. I tried putting one in it one time and with it in I could not get the plug to snap together. . Granted I got them from AutoZone so maybe they weren't made correctly but it seemed like the plug just could not go into the PMD with that little circuit board in there. If I do the relearn won't that wipe everything out and it would need that circuit board to help it reprogram?
my connector was the same way when I put the resistor in the PMD the connector would not lock in place. I ran it like that for a while but what is happening is that the PMD you have is aftermarket. the origional GM one had a deeper plug socket that allowed room for the resistor. these cheesiness replicas didn't account for that! I moved my resistor to the female end on the extension harness up by the engine where it origionally had the PMD on the side of the IP. now I never need to worry about having to pull and save my resistor whenever I have to replace the PMD thats mounted in the hole in the bumper.

question for @Will L. @WarWagon @ak diesel driver killing bugs in diesel on the cheap approach... you say gasoline will kill them, what about adding a small amount to Stoney's tank depending on how much fuel is in there, adding like at most maybe 5 or 10 % in there and running it? maybe adding some extra lube for the IP too?

a side note for gasoline with ethanol. there is an easy way to pull the ethanol out and have plain gasoline just at a lower octane rating. for a 5 gallon can, just pour a small amount of water in and shake. let sit till it's all clear and has a layer of what looks like water on the bottom. pour off the gas from the top and what you have left is the ethanol and a small amount of water.

if that approach will work to kill the bugs. maybe we can come up with a cheap filtering method that will save him on going though fuel filters plus keeping the dead muck from getting into the IP.

I have a 2 micron fuel filter on my truck that I got off amazon. replaced the 12 micron that it came with and installed a 2 micron. it also has a clear bowl with a water drain. I think I paid $25 for the housing and all. maybe something like this plumbed into the aux tank before the lift pump will help him?

Here is the link for the filter and housing, I have a Fleetguard FS19628 2 micron installed on this housing

1660067749876.png

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is just out of dumb curiosity, I know somebody said one time that too much voltage from the alternator is bad, and that it should be at 13 volts.. mine sits at a little over 14 volts. It's got a duralast alternator installed some time ago before all the problems are started with the truck.. just a curiosity thing.
Another thing that has happened is I told you all I put that diesel klean in the tank the other day. the truck ran like a champ for a few days don't know if that is related... But after thinking about it if you run that stuff you really need some kind of lubricant in the fuel from what I was told so I dumped a bunch of tranny fluid in it.. truck went back to running like crap but again I was messing with wires and stuff at the same time so I don't know if it's related. . When I took my fuel samples the fuel always looks cloudy which I'm starting to think is the ethanol in it or possibly all the additives like howes , ATF etc is it at all possible that the additives are clouding the optical eye in the injection pump and it's causing it not to fuel correctly... Again just a dumb thought out of curiosity

on the voltage 14.4 is normal. Above 15.5 and you are doing damage.

On the filter for bugs- nope. 0.5 micron is size of the bugs. You would need 0.4 micron absolute- that doesn’t exist for less that THOUSANDS of dollars.
Gasoline HAS to be Ethanol/methanol FREE.

Adding a little doesn’t do anything.

The cheapest way is drain it DRY. Let sit 14 days minimum in dry area (under 10% humidity). Then use REAL GASOLINE not the alcohol crap and soak it in there - it takes a day to get it to loosen up, then a quick scrub.

Less gas can be used IF you can replace that with A LOT of forceful scrubbing. Think caked on carbon that you can barely see.

Seriously this is sell the truck, hope truck gets stolen with full coverage insurance, or drive it till it dies then send it to the crusher.

Replace or clean 99% of the system means it WILL REINFECT the new system soon.
This is all or nothing deal.

How bad it affects everything is a case by case situation.

Like I mentioned, I been broker than broke before. It is either put in a crap ton of labor with a little money and probably down the truck for near a month to do it all- or drive till she dies and strike a match as you walk away.

Cant afford the gasoline to do it, then definitely can’t afford the bug killer juice- which works better but is more expensive.

Back