• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farming Thread:

no bale wagon. all by hand.

our wheat did decent this year. we probably average 75 bushels/acre. there is loads of straw out there. i think i'm getting around 70 bales/acre too.
One of my best memories is a 75* day a few years ago when 4 of us "grown ups" showed the kids how to bale straw. Just over 2000 bales in one day and I racked 10 rackloads myself. The kids were impressed that an old fart like me (late 50s at the time) could do all that and hardly break a sweat. You don't get too many days like that. Of course if that had been alfalfa, it would have been a different story...

picked about 13-14 acres of sweet corn so far.

327716120.jpg

327716113.jpg

327716111.jpg

Local grocery chain, local fruit/veg distributer. Plus some farm pick up, and our own retail

They are both being real tough this year. It has to have a core temp of 38 or they reject it.

North Central Indiana getting dry now.. we haven't had rain in over 2 weeks and we're worried that some of our dry land (non-irrigated) corn is going to end up 12ft high with nothing on it.. such a great summer before now, but its really getting dry and hot now

North Central Indiana getting dry now.. we haven't had rain in over 2 weeks and we're worried that some of our dry land (non-irrigated) corn is going to end up 12ft high with nothing on it.. such a great summer before now, but its really getting dry and hot now

we're the same way here in NW Ohio. bone dry. we haven't had any rain in since the 12 of july, and that was only 1/4 inch. we could use a good soaking, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. i guess that's why we all have crop insurance.

PS. i sell crop insurance.

Just got in at midnight from cutting wheat and took a shower. Done about 440 acres so far, all custom stuff. We don't even have any wheat, just 40 acres of barley that is almost ready. Right now I am on a 180 acre pivot that is hilly and rocky. They blew all their seed on with a terragator and ripped it in with their chisel, bumpy as hell. This one they did in a circle so it's more of a pain in the ass. Man I love the duals and big rear tires for the bumps and pivot wheel tracks.

And speaking of dry, it's been really dry here like usual. This field made my tester say moisture below limit. Usually it only does that when I try to test way dry corn on the high moisture corn setting. The last field was down to 8 so this must be lower than that.

we're the same way here in NW Ohio. bone dry. we haven't had any rain in since the 12 of july, and that was only 1/4 inch. we could use a good soaking, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. i guess that's why we all have crop insurance.

PS. i sell crop insurance.

Our crop insurance is built in (15 Valley CenterPivots and two hosepulls)

Time to get this thread started again don't ya' think? We started picking wet corn........ it is 210-220bu/ac average so far. Yes this is with the moisture figured out of it. Looks to be a good year so far.

Some guys started on silage here, corn won't be ready to combine for a while. We normally don't do any high moisture, no one here runs driers. Some will do it a little wet, maybe 18, and run the air on the bin, but usually we combine dry. We might be doing some high moisture though because the one feedlot said if they can get 5000 tons committed they would take some at 20-35 and grind it and pack it in the pit.

we are looking for a combine at the current time. One of the renters that lives on the farmette where the combine was stored, lit the barn on fire this 4th of July. Now we have to find a new machine.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 17
We don't store it, we roll it and pack it like silage. It maintains great feed value and this way we can get started much earlier. The 1st load while setting the combine was 39% moisture. It came down pretty quick though, now most everything is testing high 20's to low 30's.

PhilBilly, I am hoping the renters didn't do it on purpose?? I'm guessing 4th of July was fireworks related?

Yeah that's what the feedlot wants to do. Another guy takes some wetter, he doesn't do anything but feed it so he only takes a few loads that way. That's real nice though, just pull up to his silage pit and dump it.

That sucks phil, been searching machinefinder a lot then? Hope the insurance covers it right.

We have had a fairly good year. Sod sales have been strong until recently. I think the economy may have finally cought up.

We have a couple hundred acres of grass hay to finish up the end of the month. We planted 90 new acres of alfalfa/bluegrass mix.

Our one field of corn will be ready to chop in ~ 3 weeks and our other will be a few weeks behind that. The feedlot that is buying was going to cut it for earlage so I planted a grain varity. Now he wants to sileage it and my tons will be down. Not too happy about that.

Hey Phil, I'm going to be doing like you did with the duals and 6 row head. Although I know where another older one is, tempted to buy it and build an 8 or 12. Anyway, rather than use a pin, I blew another hole farther in with the torch so I have 4 latch positions on the ladder. Looks like it will work.

Attachments

• 0904081819.jpg
    0904081819.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 17
Hey Phil, I'm going to be doing like you did with the duals and 6 row head. Although I know where another older one is, tempted to buy it and build an 8 or 12. Anyway, rather than use a pin, I blew another hole farther in with the torch so I have 4 latch positions on the ladder. Looks like it will work.

you can get some dished out duals that work really well with a 6 row head. they are sucked in more so they don't rub the outside row. i'll see if i can come up with a link for ya.

Eh I like the duals the way they are, they fit 30 inch rows nice and makes it really stable on hills and pivot wheeltracks. I would rather run a bigger head, I've just run out of time this year to do something. It would be pretty easy to build a bigger head from a couple, cheaper than trading since they won't give you shit for a older 6 row head anymore even if it's nice like ours. The guy from texas that used to do our stuff left his heads here, I thought about calling him and buying them and combining them into either an 8 or a 12. He has no use for them anywhere but here and he isn't dragging a combine back up here since I bought one. They are older than mine but are still half decent.

Really shitty is that I will likely help the one neighbor that runs an 8 row head on his 7720. My 9600 next to it with a 6 row will look dumb as hell.

Back