• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farming Thread:

i miss farming even running this rough riding turd every day

recentpictures003.jpg

recentpictures004.jpg

those gvm's are junk! the co-op i used to work for bout a 4920 deere and a prowler at the same time. both with the 120' boom. the 120' boom on the prowler was the 1st one in the country from what we heard. it had all sorts of problems, the biggest being that the WHOLE BOOM FELL OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF A SOYBEAN FIELD! gvm ended up buying that piece of shit back and the co-op got another 4920. i think they're up to five company wide now, they are very nice machines.

i miss farming even running this rough riding turd every day

recentpictures003.jpg

recentpictures004.jpg

i can't tell you how many times i have been out there in the middle of the day with the service trailer either fixing them or welding a boom back on to finish the field and working through the night because of the time it wasted.

Baled my little patch of grass hay today. Only 200 bales but I was the only one stacking and I ain't used to this anymore. Seems the only day the wind doesn't blow around here is when I'm baling. The 90 degrees didn't help either.

Attachments

• SSCN0303.JPG
    SSCN0303.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 9
  • SSCN0304.JPG
    SSCN0304.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 10
our first cutting sucked, too wet and too cold for too long, second cutting should catch up and cover losses quite nicely though. corn in Huntley which is just east of billings is between 3-4 feet, which is pretty far behind, usually it is about 6-7 feet right now.

Some may say this should be in the suspension section, but this directly relates to farming.

Have any of you bent tie rods while doing farm work? I have had my truck for 2.5 years, put nearly 90,000 mile on it and until about 3 weeks ago had never bent a tie rod. When I bent the first one I knew that my truck definately needed a rebuild. So in went ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, etc. Then 2 days ago I noticed my steering wheel was off again so I took it in to have the alignment adjusted and I had a bent tie rod again. I am so confused. I have been much nicer to it as of late than I was when I first got it and now I am bending parts.

I can think of 3 solutions. 1) don't treat it nicely and things might not bend. 2) congnito tie rods or 3) tie rod sleeves.

I would like to know everyone else's experience.

i was going to suggest tie rod sleeves as a cheap fix.

anybody else need a little rain? we've been around 90* for quite a while now and haven't had any rain for about a week. we could use a 1/2 inch to keep everything looking decent.

I have never bent a tie rod, but have cognito's on hand to replace the stockers. Also have braces and new idler/pitman arms. With 60k, farming, plowing and raising hell, I figure the front end needs some love.

I never do boosted payment launches, but have been in mud to the frame giving it all it had. I do see some boosted payment launches when I get her rebuilt.

We are not lacking moisture, but a shower would always be nice. We have rain in the forecast for late sat, sun, and monday, but not great chances. Just enough to wash the pesticide off the sweet corn!

A week? We haven't had any rain for a lot longer than that. Been running the pivots non stop. The flood irrigated corn is 1/3 shorter than under the pivot. All the grass is burning up again. The rain at the start of the year didn't last...

I bent a tie rod chasing cows one day. When I still had the bald claws, before I got my STTs, I was climbing a rocky steep hill and the front tires were slipping and bouncing on the rocks. Only one so far, and I am hard on my truck with it cranked up. Should get some sleeves or cognito tie rods though.

A week? We haven't had any rain for a lot longer than that. Been running the pivots non stop. The flood irrigated corn is 1/3 shorter than under the pivot. All the grass is burning up again. The rain at the start of the year didn't last...

I bent a tie rod chasing cows one day. When I still had the bald claws, before I got my STTs, I was climbing a rocky steep hill and the front tires were slipping and bouncing on the rocks. Only one so far, and I am hard on my truck with it cranked up. Should get some sleeves or cognito tie rods though.

We are in the same boat, no rain and running pivots non-stop. We are starting to get pivots stuck in the sod fields because we seldom rework those fields. Our corn fields seldom get stuck.

We have had electrical problems for the past week. 1 200 hp motor burned up. 1 pump panel burned a lead off the breaker and needed points in the starter. Then the same night another pump refused to start so we had to call a service guy at 9 at night. Luckily all the problems were resolved in less than 24 hrs. 1 or 2 days this time of year without water is hell on sod.

i bet those 200 hp motors are cheap...

we have 10 acres of wheat left that we will finish in the morning. i'm about 1/3 done with baling small squares... there's a lot more straw out there per acre than last year. i don't think i'm going to have room for it all.

i bet those 200 hp motors are cheap...

we have 10 acres of wheat left that we will finish in the morning. i'm about 1/3 done with baling small squares... there's a lot more straw out there per acre than last year. i don't think i'm going to have room for it all.

yeah I am hoping they can rewind it. A new one isn't available for at least a month. Luckily the pump guys had a loaner.

We've rewound quite a few over the years, one I know has been done several times. All from lightning. Not cheap. The place usually has one of each size on hand so they just trade you out, and rewind yours.

baling straw..... i thought it was more fun before 3800 small squares. i've got about 1600 more to do this weekend. hopefully i can wrap it up over the weekend.

baling straw..... i thought it was more fun before 3800 small squares. i've got about 1600 more to do this weekend. hopefully i can wrap it up over the weekend.

I hope you have a bale wagon. I am probably going to bale straw towmorrow. Just 2000 bales or about 100 bale bandit bundles.

Finally got going on some wheat today. Got a couple semi loads before we got enough of a shower to make some puddles. Typical harvest weather, no rain all month until we want to cut. Oh well washed the combine nice. I'd probably still be going now if not for the rain. The guy planted some dryland wheat under a pivot, it's over waist tall and thick. Making maybe 50 bushel. The straw windrows are enormous. They are right behind me with a big square baler on the 8300. Gonna be a shitload of bales there.

I hope you have a bale wagon. I am probably going to bale straw towmorrow. Just 2000 bales or about 100 bale bandit bundles.

no bale wagon. all by hand.

our wheat did decent this year. we probably average 75 bushels/acre. there is loads of straw out there. i think i'm getting around 70 bales/acre too.

Back