• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ever wonder just how thick your head is ??

so a guy couldn't put seats in one? if so one would have to be very careful doing any kind of valve work

Yep ... hence part of the reason to see just what is really there in more than one place....

If thinking about sinking the seats even further than they are now is risky, IMO anyway... For me I'll cut clearance in the piston top before I would go deeper with the seats....

so a guy couldn't put seats in one? if so one would have to be very careful doing any kind of valve work
IMO If the heads are cracked trough the valve seats it 's no use to put inserts in them as the seats are pressed in and will spread the crack between the valves and in time might loosen the seats.
IMO new heads is the way to go.

Alright, here is the rest of the story pics...

First pic I tired to show the difference in material where they crack, I didn't alter anything ....

Second pic is a different view of the different looking plug place, also, note it almost looks like there are threads there...

Third pic I tired to show that a head bolted down there is a air pocket right under the plug place... the head is kinda angled like it would be bolted down....
IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG

I don't know wonder if its a part that holds the cores of the casting form???? Might melt slower and leave the thread impression. I don't know how they cast it I assume some "green sand" type mold???? Its a pretty intricate cast and I wonder if it has a few different forms that are mated and/or held together???

Kinda sorta like the Styrofoam impression of the lost foam castings visible on some aluminum castings. Might also be a stress concentrator and or sometimes leave that void if it doesn't melt correctly????? Might be part of the cracking between valves ???

Probably not what I was thinking because it was put in after the drilled passage otherwise drill would have cut it? Have you found anymore of these "plugs".

Was it a repaired head?

No repairs this is the same head most everyone has....

I guess it is a little hard to see in the pic but if you look closely you can see that the metal looks kinda different with the plug, you can even see the difference in the saw cut it self... the plug looking part is harder, or not the same, as the metal beside it.... if you look at the pics closely you can plainly see this is a factory casting, I have several here cut up like this and it is in every casting....

and I we do have a rockwell tester so I will check the hardness across the cut later..

chirp, chirp, chirp.

No one knows about this? I keep thinking I wonder if its a two part casting process but the edges do look like threads and don't really see it. Its a dang tight fit. Impressive for machine work but too tight for production I would think. Was it press fit or some shrink fit plug (wild guess)?

Wonder if its some factory rework operation not common? I don't see the point of the through drill bore and cross plugging it????

In the last picture it appears coolant could fill both sides of this drill bore but not possibly flow through? The side on the left ( with a manifold bolt thread could stagnate in dead end and boil????

I have heard of cold joints in casting when flow into the mold cools and doesn't fill correctly or meets from another direction too cold but that doesn't explain this.

Have you tried to use some fine sand paper and then polish it to see if you can see the joint better in the head material. Cast probably won't polish that good but might be worth a try.

" Third pic I tired to show that a head bolted down there is a air pocket right under the plug place... the head is kinda angled like it would be bolted down...."

Can coolant flow up the drill hole circled in red or is this the air pocket you were describing (blue squiggly) ?
head-passage-2.JPG

Back