• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electric Fan clutch

That explains it! I wondered what was going on as that as it looked like a short shroud. But I am all like no, couldn't be...

Awesome chain of events guys, excellent work!

So is someone going to be offering a pre-wired controller all set up and ready to go? :)

I do have a question: what percentage of lockup can these fan clutches achieve? Are they an electro-magnet inside that can lock it 100 percent, or is it just an electronic valve to direct the fluid to get it to lock in sooner?

Regardless, it looks awesome, and the warm fuzzy feeling of all GM parts makes me very happy. :)

So after my 7k road trip I thought I'd report back on my setup. I am more than happy with how it performed. While not a huge load I was pretty heavy without a trailer. I weighed 9840, I was telling Paul that it was like him towing a 4k trailer as his truck weighs 5700. Lol. Anyway temps never went past halfway between the 180 and 210 marks on the factory guage. What was really nice was having it kick in so soon which alleviated the temp spike you normally see waiting for the thermal clutch to engage. This is usually worse for us in cooler climes.

Your fan clutch is now working on engine temp instead of air temp across the fan clutch. Cooler air temps do delay thermal fan clutches because they work off of heat hitting the fan clutch. Now if I could find one short enough to fit in mine.

So, is anyone gonna make up a really nice pre-wired harness to do this, or am I gonna have to hillbilly rig it with butt connectors and electrical tape? :)

I have to say I am really surprised more of you pickup/suburban guys have not done this yet. I looked at this very seriously. Only thing is military hmmwvs show a big difference in the 100% lockup because of the stupid- worse than corvettes- angle of the radiator stack. If this fanclutch had 100% lockup- it would have already been on my hummer. And for anybody running a/c- instant control for the fan? Cmon man- thats perfect.

I knew already I was going for 100% lockup and am gathering parts to do what still seems to be the first hmmwv clutch on balanced flow waterpump. Found 3 ways not to do it so far-haha. But it is going to be more expensive than this set up for sure. But for hummers twice the $ is worth last 10% of performance. In regular trucks that would depend on use. If Leroy gets his set up for sale before I work out kinks I would still consider his for the hummer.

My nephew’s truck (dont know why he is dragging feet getting on here)- when he needs waterpump and everything done will most likey be pushed this route.

I have to say I am really surprised more of you pickup/suburban guys have not done this yet. I looked at this very seriously. Only thing is military hmmwvs show a big difference in the 100% lockup because of the stupid- worse than corvettes- angle of the radiator stack. If this fanclutch had 100% lockup- it would have already been on my hummer. And for anybody running a/c- instant control for the fan? Cmon man- thats perfect.

I knew already I was going for 100% lockup and am gathering parts to do what still seems to be the first hmmwv clutch on balanced flow waterpump. Found 3 ways not to do it so far-haha. But it is going to be more expensive than this set up for sure. But for hummers twice the $ is worth last 10% of performance. In regular trucks that would depend on use. If Leroy gets his set up for sale before I work out kinks I would still consider his for the hummer.

My nephew’s truck (dont know why he is dragging feet getting on here)- when he needs waterpump and everything done will most likey be pushed this route.
I definitely plan on doing this. Many kudos to AK for the work he put into doing this and documenting all the parts one needs to do it.

Still working on mine. I have the mechanicals done , just waiting on a controller thats in development now. I got delayed for almost 2 years waiting on some R&D.
I ran mine for over 5000 miles with just a basic electric fan relay kit just fine, but I don't want to offer the kit like that.

I would have had one on mine years ago if I could clear one, but when I did my swap, radiator to fan clutch real estate was tight, and I was lucky to get what I got. If Leroy's setup is the same height or shorter than a stock 6.5l thread on clutch, then I will be one of his 1st customers. I know a few DURAMAX guys have gone and made solid hubs for theres trying to deal with summer heat, while towing heavy, and doing it with above stock power. The market for a 100% engagement electric clutch for the 36mm shaft could pay back very well.

I have to say I am really surprised more of you pickup/suburban guys have not done this yet.

The Burb is getting this mod no later than this coming Summer :) Am getting tired of pulling the RV up grade and watching the temp gauge climb while waiting for the thermal clutch to act . . .

And with the trans cooler gone, am going to add an electric pusher fan wired to the A/C.

So the reviews on the Hayen controller are not very good, if I use a simple thermal fan temp switch in the head, what on -off temp range would be best.
I would also add a manual override switch.

I know there are simple 12v thermal switches available. Installed one on my RV's refer to trigger a booster fan. For application in our trucks, seems that glueing / strapping it onto a metal component somewhere in the cooling system will work as an alternative to a controller.

Toward trigger temp, am sure that is a debatable topic and somewhat dependent on the thermostat(s) so that they are in sync with each other.

The Burb is getting this mod no later than this coming Summer :) Am getting tired of pulling the RV up grade and watching the temp gauge climb while waiting for the thermal clutch to act . . .

And with the trans cooler gone, am going to add an electric pusher fan wired to the A/C.

Did you ever seal the gaps around the radiator to force more air through the radiator and shroud so the radiant heat hits the fan clutch?

I had done this awhile back because of all the airflow around the radiator is so bad it can actually stall the flow trough the radiator, I forget the % that flows around but it can become a problem w/modified 6.5td's at speed.

That little skid plate (usually plastic) up front between the frame rails under the bumper to radiator also reduces air flow from stalling through the radiator at speed.

Back