• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Educate Me on Thermostats

Glad to see lower than the 217 for sure. Not happy to see a solid 200 if thats where it stayed. In all honesty with the fan locked on, you should see it heat up to 200, have the stats open, hot engine water and cold radiator water swap places, cold radiator water hit stats and they close, while you see the temp dropping down- at least for a moment, then heat back up to 200 as stats open again.
I feel there is something more that needs addressed. Could be that waterpump, but let’s double check:

So— what radiator is in there right now?
What fan is on there right now?
Condition of fan shroud right now?
Any electric fans on it now?

Yes safer to run that sucker locked up-but know you fuel mileage will suffer a bit like that.

I have kept out of this conversation because I feel my results are not typical. I run a spring modded Hayden 2840 with a 21" d-max fan and a 2k model year spin on pump. I also have a 12gph water/meth system that I use when I am towing big loads (11-15k, and on mountains only). That said, my injection pump is likely pushing 100+ cc. My temp gauge never shows higher than one mark below 210 (guessing 195?) even on the steepest climbs. I, too have wondered if there is a restriction of some kind, maybe in the radiator?

I also have bypassed the transmission cooler in the radiator and go straight to the Hayden unit I put in out front. ( I don't run this truck in winter).

Brand new Champion radiator, run through Chris’s shop for thermal coating. Probably fifteen to 20 miles on that.
Stock original fan shroud looks to be in good condition.
9 blade stock steel fan.
I believe I will be ordering the Delco coolant pump.
I’m not afraid to fire the parts cannon at this truck, long as it is in a somewhat mild fashion. 😹😹😹😹

The T-Stats are about three years old but appeared to be properly functioning in the hot/boiling water test.
They are 195 degree stats.
I do have a set of 190s that I can install.
After I get home from Alaska. 😹😹😹

Brand new Champion radiator, run through Chris’s shop for thermal coating. Probably fifteen to 20 miles on that.
Stock original fan shroud looks to be in good condition.
9 blade stock steel fan.
I believe I will be ordering the Delco coolant pump.
I’m not afraid to fire the parts cannon at this truck, long as it is in a somewhat mild fashion. 😹😹😹😹

ok, yup. I am finger pointing at the pump. Granted that radiator might be really bad- but since others are running it without problem, I really doubt it. Then coated on top of it- no way. So unless you have some head cracks going on that just constantly dumps a hair more heat into the coolant than what is normal- ot much else out there.

Personally I don't think 210* is too high, even sustaining that for hours, and 220* for a small amount of time like topping a grade, now 220* and climbing isn't good.. If 210* does harm then there is a underlying problem.. I just don't see 15* over the thermostat as a killer or something to worry about...

@MrMarty51 , it may be time for another water pump at some point.... and I'd guess you had your AC on during your test drive.... your temps wouldn't bother me at all, sounds normal...

Yup, had the AC on full bore and max. I wanted as much heat created as possible.
Tonights paper says it was 100 degrees yesterday. I had 102 on the thermometer here at the house.
I think before I did the fan clutch lockup job, the temp was 103 down here in the valley and the engine temp was right next to the 220 mark, be consistent with what temp it was running last summer.

Back