• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Educate Me on Thermostats

If you have an old junk one, take a self tapping screw that’s about 1.5-2” long. Run it through the fan clutch. The hen it will be locked up 100%. This is a get-you-home fix if ever needed btw. Then you will know what it is fully locked up. It will also show you if being on solves the heat issue. It absolutely should keep it at the thermostat temperature. If it doesn’t- there is a big problem somewhere else.

If you have an old junk one, take a self tapping screw that’s about 1.5-2” long. Run it through the fan clutch. The hen it will be locked up 100%. This is a get-you-home fix if ever needed btw. Then you will know what it is fully locked up. It will also show you if being on solves the heat issue. It absolutely should keep it at the thermostat temperature. If it doesn’t- there is a big problem somewhere else

@Will L.
I just happen to still have the original FC and I will give that a try tomorrow.
Its suppose to be up next to 100 degrees again, and, I should be able to hear the FC too.
Any suggestion as to the area where the screw should be run through ? Or does anywhere work ?

just so it foes through all 3 parts.

Not exactly same clutch, so location and angle is wrong for our clutch, but you get an idea.

another method: i never tried, but makes sense:

Probably go with two clamps to keep the balance a little closer. Place the screw mechanisms opposite sides of each other.
I’ll be running the clamps until I can get the electro fan set up here.

If you do it and it helps keep temps down- yeah. If it doesn’t, that tells you any different fan clutch won’t solve it- time for water pump.
Maybe include a part in your signature showing what’s currently in there for it to help the memory challenged individuals such as myself. I wonder if that why my wife gave me that keytag with our address on it? Haha.

If you do it and it helps keep temps down- yeah. If it doesn’t, that tells you any different fan clutch won’t solve it- time for water pump.
Maybe include a part in your signature showing what’s currently in there for it to help the memory challenged individuals such as myself. I wonder if that why my wife gave me that keytag with our address on it? Haha.
Yup. The coolant pumps not real old, within the last two or three years. I had to get what was available in town as the truck was needed.
It is a NAPA brand pump so just how good it is in the balanced flow department would be anyones guess.

Yeah, I remember you said that part- and being unbalanced could be enough to push it over the edge from being hot to over heating.

You had the two different temp readings. Wonder if the factory gauge is off that far, or if the rear is actually running that much hotter.
When my engines would run that far different, i added a second mechanical gauge. I always had the factory and a mechanical gauge. But i kept a mechanical gauge as a diagnostic tool for all vehicles I worked on- so I would add it temporarily and move it a few locations to see what was going on throughout the engine. A pain, however it tells you something is not happy. Could be that waterpump is not flowing good enough wether unbalanced or too low volume. Also could be a cracked head overheating one area too much.
Obviously finding a hot spot of the engine is first step. Wether or not you throw money into waterpump is a coin flip, but since we have learned the balanced flow is a big factor for so many people- and if a guy knows he is sticking with that engine platform ahead of time, it becomes an easy choice to get the balanced waterpump.

On the balanced waterpump - I am convinced all the AC Delco pumps for 6.5 serpentine belt are balanced flow. Heath was convinced there was a specific part number that did the best. So to be sure- track down the one Heath said is not a bad idea.

Taking the time and expense of another temp gauge, one in each rear head- or just switching the two you have, is not always fun. But imo it is good to know and you could compare before and after waterpump if thats the way you are planning on. It is normal to have different temperature from front to rear of engine. But if the cooling system is working properly, the rear of both heads should be within a couple degrees of each other.

I am thinking of doing 1 digital electric temp gauge, and mounting a few sensors. Then wiring them all to a selector knob where I can cycle through them as I choose. Then I would just leave it set in wherever is the highest one.

Oh boy, I screwed up on the differences between the gauges. Both gauges was just shy of 220, so I imagine they were running right on that 217 degrees that they were last year Labor day weekend.
I did drill, thread and install screws into the old leaky fan clutch.
Just now getting the fan loaded onto it.
Then I noticed I had seven quarts of ATF left in the case so I had to throw out a quick reply to Big R about how many quarts it takes to refill the 4L80E transmixer. 😹

When I looked into the spin on AC Delco water pump that Heath was suggesting it was the 200$ pump on Rock Auto. Rock Auto has had a couple different AC Delco pumps on their site but I have always figured the 200$ pump was the original pump that came on our trucks.

Went for a drive up over the hill and back. The ambient temp only at 94 when I pulled away from the house.
I will do another run when the temps get back to. or above 100.
This trip the temp gauge on both units stayed right at 195 for the trip out, about five miles.
On the return it is a fair uphill pull for about two to three miles. Running at 80 MPH, the RR cylinder head never went over 200 and was actually below the 200 mark. I am guessing about 197 or so and the dash temp gauge was slightly over 195.
My conclusion this far is, the fan clutch is from his bad batch.
I know there is no way of getting any sort of a refund on this but, I am going to send it to him and ask him to test it. If he has the means to do so.
I bought it in August 23 of 2019 so the one year warranty is almost two years past. Even though I did not install it until the spring of 2020.
We shall see what happens when the temps get to over 100 again.
I will be leaving this unit on the truck for now.

I will he going for one of the balanced flow AC Delco coolant pumps too.
When it comes to self defense, the very best is barely adequate and I figure that the coolant pump is self defense against heat issues for the engine.
Thank You @Jaryd for the info.

It'll cost you a little fuel but far cheaper than a new engine
Yuppers.

Temps cooling off some. Not much chance in hitting over 100 until Wednesday, then forecasted to get to only 97. If the thermometer on the shed will get to that 102 or 103 mark then it will be the same conditions as it was yesterday, when the gauges was just below the 220 mark.
Time will tell.

Okeeedokey. Temp was 102 ambient. Had to go to the store for rainbird impact sprinkler, which they had none of.
Coming back home, aimed the truck for the Yellowstone bridge and up over the hill. Went out about five or eight miles 🤷‍♂️ Turned around and there is quite a pull coming out of Sunday creek to the top of the Yellowstone hill. Just sort of cruising along and snapped a couple of pics as I was getting close to the top of the hill.
Beats the crap out of that 217 that it was running pre locked up fan clutch.
I’ll run with this FC for the rest of the summer, switch over to that phoney Kennedy Diesel unit after the temps gets cool then work on getting funds to pick up on the electro viscous unit. 😵‍💫😹
60DB46DF-048A-490B-9706-1879EE3848C9.jpeg

And the right rear cylinder temp too.
9D748C52-E5B9-4414-93C2-651CF04A82CA.jpeg

Back