• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Educate Me on Thermostats

Oh yeah, My original plan was to install all the new coolant components at the same time, to keep from having to drain and refill the cooling system multiple times. Guess I’ll do the multi times operation. If the radiator dont drop the temps. 😹😹😹

about the only way i can think for you to tell is While you are swapping radiator, remove the shroud and easy to get at the front, you could use a heat gun and heat the coil in the fan clutch. Spin it while doing it and you will see what happens when it gets hot and the resistance to spinning occurs.

about the only way i can think for you to tell is While you are swapping radiator, remove the shroud and easy to get at the front, you could use a heat gun and heat the coil in the fan clutch. Spin it while doing it and you will see what happens when it gets hot and the resistance to spinning occurs.
I had thought about placing a 3/8ths piece of flat in the steel drain pan, adding water to cover the steel, place that contraption on top of the turkey deep fryer burner and fire it up. Place the thermal clutch with fan on top of the steel plate spring side down, monitor the temp and get it to over 180 degrees and see if the clutch would lock up.
I dont know if heating it while laying horizontal would have any bad affects on the unit.
I do know that they are suppose to be stored in a horizontal position.

Get a sat phone. Most of those are good for an XXX amount of free text messages, dont cost until a call is made.
At least then if You is in an emergency situation You can call and get help. You location can, within a degree or two be pinpointed too.
Id like more info on the sat phones. Sounds like something we will hopefully need again someday.

Okay. Got the truck removed from the garage.
Outside temps was about 95, went for a drive. Temp gauge climbed to right at 210 on the dash gauge.
Gauge connected to the RR cylinder head was right next to 220. Still never heard the fan clutch kick in. Got home and opened the hood, fan was spinning but at what rate with RPMs ? 🤷‍♂️ 😹😹😹
D2B2A971-0B7A-4953-AFFA-7D6AA8DB36EB.jpeg

With engine hot and having driven, fan clutch should be engaged. Turn OFF engine and see if you can spin fan easily by hand of if it is difficult. difficult IS ENGAGING, easy it is not.
But you should really hear it and feel it when it comes on while driving.
There is a roar that startles little kids and unsuspecting wives. You drop something like 10-15 hp is my guess- the loss in power is notable.

Never did hear it roar like I have many of the fans in previous wehicles.
Still over a hundred degrees out there. I’ll take it for another drive and see what kind of difficulty it is to spina fan. 😹

@MrMarty51 what I did is when I bought my new Hayden fan clutch last year I modded my old one to where it’s locked on full time. During the winter and most of the summer I would run the new Hayden. If i was hauling the tractor around or anything that was heavy like that I would just swap to my modded fan clutch. I have not had a problem doing it this way yet. Since it’s the spin on clutch it only takes a few minutes to swap them out.

There ain’t no doubt if it’s locked on. You can easily hear the fan roar over the Diesel engine and mud tires.

No fan roar. Temp gauge back up to just below 220 degrees. Pulled off the road, let it idle for about a half a minute to spool down the turbo, shit offt duh switch, popped duh hood, grabbed a fan blade and the blade spins easier with the engine hot than it did with the engine at room temperature.
I didnt know if the FC needed some RPMs in order for it to function.
I think tomorrow, with the wifey here. Make the same drive then tie a length of 18 gauge wire to a blade, have the wifey fire it up, if the wire gets pulled out of my finners then I’d guess the FC must be functioning.
If not, then it must be a bad unit.

@MrMarty51 what I did is when I bought my new Hayden fan clutch last year I modded my old one to where it’s locked on full time. During the winter and most of the summer I would run the new Hayden. If i was hauling the tractor around or anything that was heavy like that I would just swap to my modded fan clutch. I have not had a problem doing it this way yet. Since it’s the spin on clutch it only takes a few minutes to swap them out.

There ain’t no doubt if it’s locked on. You can easily hear the fan roar over the Diesel engine and mud tires.
Not once have I ever heard his fan clutch engage. My ears aint too good but I have heard them fans kick in and its like You say, there is no mistaking that sound and even a deaf old fart like Me could hearum.

So unless your working the engine and using 3rd gear it might be possible to miss the clutch engagement. Mine doesn't make alot of noise till close to 2500 rpm, pretty obvious then

No fan roar. Temp gauge back up to just below 220 degrees. Pulled off the road, let it idle for about a half a minute to spool down the turbo, shit offt duh switch, popped duh hood, grabbed a fan blade and the blade spins easier with the engine hot than it did with the engine at room temperature.
I didnt know if the FC needed some RPMs in order for it to function.
I think tomorrow, with the wifey here. Make the same drive then tie a length of 18 gauge wire to a blade, have the wifey fire it up, if the wire gets pulled out of my finners then I’d guess the FC must be functioning.
If not, then it must be a bad unit.

I’d be worried about the wire getting wrapped around something and tearing something up.

Back