• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Drivetrain vents?

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
I'm using 3/8" air brake lines and fittings for transmission overdrive transfercase and differential vents I've read that an "air loop should be incorporated into the vent system" however; I need information on how to do that......anyone know?

Never heard of such a thing. Home types of natural gas pipe uses a "DROP" to capture moisture and crap that might other wise hit the gas valve.
To me, if a person made a loop in the tube, it could eventually fill the lower portion of the loop with enough moisture that when the component is cooling it might draw the moisture into the said component.
Factory is just a length of hose run up high enough so it dont get submerged when crossing rivers and lakes. LOL

Never heard of such a thing. Home types of natural gas pipe uses a "DROP" to capture moisture and crap that might other wise hit the gas valve.
To me, if a person made a loop in the tube, it could eventually fill the lower portion of the loop with enough moisture that when the component is cooling it might draw the moisture into the said component.
Factory is just a length of hose run up high enough so it dont get submerged when crossing rivers and lakes. LOL
Yea, I never heard of it either however; I know how it works with plumbing just curious it is being used in off road builds.

Most cars just vent right at the housing. Trucks, jeeps, etc have a hose that goes up a foot or so then has a vent.
Military rigs like hmmwvs, tanks, etc have all the vent hoses connect together and go up to one high point, usually adjacent to the air intake. Some Hummers have the one joined unit go to the air filter housing so the engine air filter keeps dirt out of the vent side lines. Other Hummers (like mine) have the vent lines connect and go to a separate filter that looks like an old gas filter by the air intake.

Each system has it’s draw backs and advantages. But adding a loop like a P trap in plumbing if that is what they are saying- dumbass idea. Absolutely will create moisture trap which will stop the flow of air.

When the enclosure gets hot or cools down if sealed will create pressure or a vacuum. Bad idea regardless of vehicle use. You could run a 20’ hose off any vent and as long as it does NOT trap moisture in it by horizontal to vertical transitions, it will vent the pressure differential.

My suggestion is connect them all together and have them get air from the clean side of your existing air filter. With no loops/traps.

Most cars just vent right at the housing. Trucks, jeeps, etc have a hose that goes up a foot or so then has a vent.
Military rigs like hmmwvs, tanks, etc have all the vent hoses connect together and go up to one high point, usually adjacent to the air intake. Some Hummers have the one joined unit go to the air filter housing so the engine air filter keeps dirt out of the vent side lines. Other Hummers (like mine) have the vent lines connect and go to a separate filter that looks like an old gas filter by the air intake.

Each system has it’s draw backs and advantages. But adding a loop like a P trap in plumbing if that is what they are saying- dumbass idea. Absolutely will create moisture trap which will stop the flow of air.

When the enclosure gets hot or cools down if sealed will create pressure or a vacuum. Bad idea regardless of vehicle use. You could run a 20’ hose off any vent and as long as it does NOT trap moisture in it by horizontal to vertical transitions, it will vent the pressure differential.

My suggestion is connect them all together and have them get air from the clean side of your existing air filter. With no loops/traps.
Yea, the idea was from one of the jeep forums on topic of vents.....so I'll stay with all the lines going to the snorkel stack, thanks for the input.

I'd say only need a strainer/basic filter over the end so dirt dobbers or bees/insects don't clog up the hose. I have seen some little plastic hat thingies stuck in the end.

I have a JD tractor that the clutch bell housing was sealed and it rusted from condesation? A lot of people (that didn't ford water) just left out a drain plug out on theirs. Some dealers took them out. I read where some old times sometimes use to inset a large cotter pin or other "dangler" in small drain holes of things. The dangler was to bounce around and help retard any dirt dobbers or other from nesting in the drain hole.

I'd say only need a strainer/basic filter over the end so dirt dobbers or bees/insects don't clog up the hose. I have seen some little plastic hat thingies stuck in the end.

I have a JD tractor that the clutch bell housing was sealed and it rusted from condesation? A lot of people (that didn't ford water) just left out a drain plug out on theirs. Some dealers took them out. I read where some old times sometimes use to inset a large cotter pin or other "dangler" in small drain holes of things. The dangler was to bounce around and help retard any dirt dobbers or other from nesting in the drain hole.
Them dobbers can be found in the strangest places on my Burb too.

The idea is to run your vent lines to a high location and then put a 180 in the hose and bring it back down about 6 inches. This way if you do happen to by some chance get in water deep enough to submerge your vent line it would have to suck the water up that 6 inch drop before it could run down the vent line and into whatever you're venting. It's a simple setup that does work if you're running in deep water often.

The idea is to run your vent lines to a high location and then put a 180 in the hose and bring it back down about 6 inches. This way if you do happen to by some chance get in water deep enough to submerge your vent line it would have to suck the water up that 6 inch drop before it could run down the vent line and into whatever you're venting. It's a simple setup that does work if you're running in deep water often.
As always thanks FERM....

Run the vent lines to clean side of the air filter? As many automatic transmissions as I have cratered via slipping clutches while doing so turning the ATF into a vapor... Yeah feeding the ATF vapor from a slipping trans into a diesel engine intake is asking for a run-away.

Run the vent lines to clean side of the air filter? As many automatic transmissions as I have cratered via slipping clutches while doing so turning the ATF into a vapor... Yeah feeding the ATF vapor from a slipping trans into a diesel engine intake is asking for a run-away.
I'm running two trans vents one on the high side of the main case and one on the OD unit then I have the diffs, t-case, p/s, master cyl & hydro boost........vents will be up and out of engine bay on the snorkel stack terminating at the top of stack.
I suspect there was more danger with the crankcase depression valve on the 6.5td letting oil into intake however never heard of any run away from that but I guess Murphy may have hit somewhere.

The 180 the way Ferm describes it makes more sense than the other way. Still better to have a filter and have it as high as possible. Clean side of air filter makes sense because if you suck water from that scenario your trans and gear boxes are least of concerns at that point.

As to sucking trans fluid and engine run away- older hummer transfer cases cooler had a problem with rubbing a hole in it and overflowing transfer case with fluid till the vent line put fluid up to the filter. No run always from that.
It is a possibility in theory.
Using a different air filter like my hummer does rather than the engine one is a simple fix the concern.

I'm using a filter canister from an MRAP w/2 stage filtering it will just barely fit with a smaller coolant recovery tank relocated. I've been looking into ARB design vent that uses an air compressor filter however it only accommodates 4 lines so considering SS tubing from the engine bay to the stack perhaps 1" ID +- and welding 8 3/8" nipples to it for the lines.

Back