• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changed PMD still not right

I'm sorry to hear that..please keep your account open and talk to us..maybe if you find something else to drive for now you will be in a better position to fix her up at a later time.. plus if you keep your account open and logged on who knows somebody on here might decide they want it...

I hate to hear it didn’t work out for ya. But don’t feel bad in it- your issue is the most common reason for being “done with this truck”
The 93 and older ones use an all manual injection pump, and it eliminates hese issues. That style pump is only because of EPA smog requirements.

List for he truck on Craigslist- it should sell no problem.

I'll hang around. Never know what may come up with future sets of wheels. I'll also need another truck at some point. I'm working on an at home sewing business and thinking being mobile with my embroidery machines would be great. So a trailer is needed...
Besides there is so much to learn...

That's the spirit girl...and believe me I feel your frustrations...I'm fight a similar battle with my truck. Except mines just running hot as hell..and I haul with it for a living so I'm out of work till I can get it figured out...(over a month now)..besides unless your landlord complaining she ain't hurting nothing sitting there..and if you keep an eye out at the local junk yards you might get lucky and find a pump.. just make sure you check in with these guys before you buy it to make sure it will work with your truck.

Last post on my big red Beast. Crankshaft/main drive. Both seals front and back are gone and the whole thing rocks hard and the several injectors are locked up. Taking all my fixes off (pmd and app, they didn't help anyway) so I can get my money back and selling the thing. Anyone in East Texas looking for a cheap truck? She'll start but revs high then comes down and bounces... $1000.00
Or anyone nearby got a little gasser for cheap? I'll even throw in the truck...
Oh My, that is too bad, I think we were all hoping to turn You into a happy 6.5 diesel driver. Whatever kind of a rig You wind up with be sure to post us in some pics; IfYou was closer I`d see what I could to make You a deal on Your truck. Montana`s just a might bit too far.

Thanks. I'll be around. I did love the truck when it worked right and had nice a/c. At this point unless I can find a new motor it's pretty much out of my league. Even a "new" motor is more than I can afford. But maybe if I can find someone who'll let me make payments on a cheap little car the truck can sit til tax time...
No worries that the landlord will have any issues with it. My neighbor has cars in various states of disrepair strewn about. Hiding under trees and behind tarps and sheds.

Just for kicks here's a picture of my first big truck. The Big Red Beast. A still life to old diesels.

Attachments

• 20190611_202446.jpg
    20190611_202446.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 12
I was kinda lost on that to ak.. if it's a bad injection pump I can probably get her one out of our local junkyard.. there are three trucks in there that have them in them.busted crank is a whole different world

I'm just going by what the guy said. Claims he's a diesel tech.
I'm leaning towards injectors and ip, and air filter and possibly the turbo, at least getting it checked out.
The thing is it's not throwing any codes.
Except over 3,000 rpm's and the occasional service throttle.
Now she revs high (4-5000 in the red) right away then drops down and bounces between 1500 and about 800-900... And her fuel filter "breathes" with every pull.
If I start it up again I'll get video and post it.
Wish I could afford to let her sit til I can afford to fix it. For some reason I really love this stupid truck. Maybe cause she's a short wide chunky thing like me... I wish one of y'all could come check it out for me.
The neighbor guy who "diagnosed" her said to get a second opinion...

Well time to get to work and go make/sell some taco's.
Good luck to y'all today and may whatever beasts you're working on reveal their troubles...

Were you able to get hold of an OBD-1 reader or did you figure out the paperclip trick?
Schwind's post #3 on the 'A Little Help Here' thread explains the procedure for using a paperclip to pull the codes. Here's the full link if the hyper doesn't work. https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/a-little-help-here.2657/
With all the issues, sucker's gotta be pushing codes, even without a check engine light.

Air Cleaner and Turbo aren't the cause for it running up to 4-5000 before suddenly dropping to bounce between 800 & 1500 and the term 'injector locked up' is new to me.

If it is chugging, not hitting on all eight and feeling like its going into death throws etc. I would be leaning heavily to the IP AFTER diagnosing the fuel system from tank forward. Bad IP may not be reliably commanding fuel to all cylinders as desired. This could create a 'dead hole' or bad injector symptom.

A mechanical pressure gauge attached at the T-valve located at the front of the motor by the T-Stat will give you some idea of the state of the fuel system. At least with 4-5lbs at idle, you'll know not to toss money that way. Picture credit to TurbineDoc. 57328

More part locations help can be found in the 6.2 6.5 Technical Library thread, Part Locations. https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/part-locations.9494/

To go over your fuel system from Tank to IP, TurbinDoc's old thread is a good time killer. https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/lift-pumps-ops-operation-and-troubleshooting.6872/

However, if the IP has gone south, no amount of new PMDs, APPs, OPSs, fuel filters, lift pumps, tank socks, air cleaners or turbo's is going to solve it.

If you do decide to go in deep and need a set of manuals, I have a 4 volume GM set you could use. Just PM me your address.

Thank-you. From what I gathered from the guys checking it out the injectors aren't opening (or is it closing?). They said locked up.
It did run a tiny bit better with the new pmd that had a lifetime warranty. But it ended up doing the same thing after a mile at 55mph.
The "mechanic" (I will be using that term loosely from now on, unless I see credentials) that drove her home said the app (throttle sensor) was bad. So I traded the pmd for the app. Thinking it may have needed both. With the pmd it settled down to normal rpm's quickly.
I just don't know... I wish I had more skills and more money, tools, trusted mechanics...

No paper clip or obd reader. I took it to autozone one of the times it was running ok. That's probably why no codes. It was good...
Paveltolz thanks for your offer of your books. I priced a Chilton manual at O'Reilly's auto parts for $30 (US).
Well time to consult with my other half. My husband thinks the truck is too much for us. I don't think it's big enough...

Yeah... Wish I had the money to have someone go over the fuel delivery system from tank to injectors... Both my girls have interviews at Wal-Mart to get working and we have an appointment with a disability lawyer for my husband. We do need a 2nd vehicle and then my precious Beast can rest and we'll get her feeling better when tax return time comes.

Yup...

Ok I had a mechanic friend (the one from church who works on the BIG rigs) show up and started the beast up. She started right up and her exhaust has changed to a variety of grey. His feelings are bad pmd. He said it's getting fuel so the injectors and pump are ok. But it's not being regulated (pmd/fsd). Tore me a new one for buying a cheap chinese part (I didn't... My sister did). He did say I did a good job installing it in the bumper nose.
So a new warrantied pmd should (cross fingers and knock on wood) do the trick.

Picture attached is the Chinese paperweight that was ordered. Of course the heatsink and wiring are probably good... And the resistor is from AutoZone.View attachment 57239
A lot of people have had issues with the imported extension harnesses also.

Which resistor are you using? People have also had issues with resistors

I'm not really keeping up on what's going on. If you have a diesel shop around, it may be worth having the injectors tested.

Last edited:
I think its the pmd I've been using (took the more expensive one back to trade for an app). A $90 Chinese one off Amazon. #9 resistor.
So pmd and app. Had some changes with both when used by themselves. Now maybe just try them together... Once my girls get working and a bit more income.
Pretty sure with the more expensive pmd the injectors were working right. It settled to normal rpm's rather quickly but seemed to bog out a bit when throttle hit. Then over rev'd ( "runaway" bought under control only by extreme braking) once hit hiway speeds...
Next pmd I get will be from Leroy diesel. And maybe an app. Found one for around $50 but shipping was a couple weeks.
I feel peace about those. And if they "work" (get it back to driveability even if just in town) to get me to tax return time and I overhaul it then..

The distance between all of us is always the issue.
To dang far away to just pop over and help.

I so wish a couple of you guys could stop over. I'm such a baby to this stuff. I helped my step-dad all the time with our vehicles as a teen. But no diesels. Wish I could pick his brain but he's 84 and has Parkinson's and age induced dementia and has trouble figuring out how to plug a lamp in, let alone fixing my beast. They also live in Utah and I'm in Texas (70 miles east of Dallas)..

So my still life sits for lack of funds...

Gmmomma what's the church you attend.i got a couple pmds I got out of junk yard.. I have had them all plugged into my truck to test them and they ran fine..I could send one to your pastor to give to you..
Guys this is just a thought...any chance she's just not getting a good connection on her extension cable.. I ask because if I remember right the truck will run without the PMD but it will act crazy because it has nothing to tell it how much fuel in needs..
And a couple of you will remember a while back I tried putting a resistor in mine and when I did it would not plug-in properly.. I actually had to push it pretty hard to get it to snap in to place.. and with that resistor in ,my truck acted crazy.. I took it back out and the truck ran fine.. I've never had a resistor in it since the day I bought it.. I know hers is OBD1 and mine is OBD2 I'm just thinking I got my resistors from AutoZone, if the resistor she got came from the same supply place overseas that AutoZone got mine from maybe they just don't set in properly. And therefore the plug is not getting a good connection..

I think it is partly the pmd. She did initially idle better with the more expensive one. Sending the Amazon one back as soon as I can get a new harness and heatsink. And a hacksaw to chop off the rusted bolt holding the old one on and see if there is a resistor in there. It's in the bumper nose too.

Thanks Stoney. I go to a little country church (the Church of Garden Valley - TCOGV) run by Pastor Brad Williams. The Church office # (903) 882-9150.

I think at least it's multiple issues with the Beast. Pmd, probably app as well. At least 3 "mechanics" have said its my throttle sensor. And I'm thinking tank sock, lift pump, ops and then Injector pump. Altho pretty sure if I change out the pmd with a good one I'll have fewer troubles.
If I can just get it to where I can run in my sleepy Texas town to work and back and to Wal-Mart....

Back