• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changed PMD still not right

Thanks guys. Only trouble for me is cost. We live paycheck to paycheck (broke the day after payday) normally so even a $20 part freaks me out financially. Once we get Beasty running again I am looking for a better job.

Thanks guys. Only trouble for me is cost. We live paycheck to paycheck (broke the day after payday) normally so even a $20 part freaks me out financially. Once we get Beasty running again I am looking for a better job.
YUP. and then try to scrape together enough to keep propitty taxes paid. Not a good way to have to live.

Nope... But with this truck the way I'm looking at it is I can put the money into it and have it run again or buy an equally crappy car and have to shell out more to keep it running...
Thank-God we rent and don't have to worry about property taxes. But I really wish we did. I want a piece of dirt that is mine..

I'd agree with you on owning your own piece of land , it's awesome knowing it's yours and nobody can take it from you..BUT then everytime something on the house breaks , leaks, etc you gotta be able to come up with a BIG chunk of $$$ all at once.. I'm not sure about down where you live, put up here in New York if repairs due to the winter storms don't break you the sky high property and school taxes will... By no means am I deterring you from it.. just when you're ready to buy one make sure you have a little bit of a financial cushion for the oh sh** category that happens from time to time..

Yup.. although I do agree we need taxes to fund (limited) government and road services etc.. im for the 1tax system. no tax brackets based on how much you make or none of that crap.. get rid of all the other taxes just have sales tax.. obviously it would have to be at a higher percentage rate than it is presently.. but no matter what the item you're buying (food, fuel, cigerettes, electronics,etc.. )no matter who you are the tax percentage on it is the same.. so obviously people who make a bigger paycheck are going to spend more money therefore they're going to pay more out in taxes.. but they can control what they spend in taxes by controlling their spending habits so if they decide to buy a 1.6 million dollar luxury yacht they can't gripe about all the taxes they had to pay on it.

This may sound like a dumb question when you bought the truck did it have a resistor in the PMD already when it was running fine...or is that something you decided to put in when you got the new one

Honestly I have no idea about resistor in the old one. Also no idea how long its been on the truck or brand. It's still stuck inside the bumper by a rusted bolt.

I picked up a PMD late last night from O'Reilly's auto parts (lifetime warranty). Now I guess we tried it too many times without letting the batteries charge and it won't start. Getting her juice transfusion now .. My hubby said first time after installing new pmd she tried turning over and sounded smoother than it has in a long time... So if you're the praying kind then prayers are definitely needed.

Definitely have fingers crossed and prayers at said...
If and this is a big if ... If after you charge her up when you start her if she still runs rough...unplug the PMD and take the resistor back out and plugger in without the resistor... Your trucks is a 95 if it was built late in the model year it may not accept the resistor the same way I tried putting one in my truck and it would not run worth a crap..I took it back out in the truck ran beautifully to this day I am still running with no resistor..

95 to 96 was the crossover year between OBD1 and OBD2.. if it was built late in the model year it could be running on OBD2

It's an obd1. My neighbor has an obd2 reader and it won't hook up. Got it running... Took it out up to hiway speed and it did the same thing. Started chugging, spewing black exhaust and when we killed it and started back up it redlined... So either I have a bad ip killing pmd's or something else is gone to crap... Waiting on a rescue with a tow line right now...

Last edited:
Opinion now of 4 "mechanics" one of which is a diesel tech is that it is the app. Tried all 3 pmd's ("original" on truck, Amazon $100 and O'Reilly's $260) and it's the throttle/accelerator pedal sensor... Returning the O'Reilly's pmd tomorrow and getting the stupid sensor... The guys actually drove it while it was acting up. It's also getting a new fuel filter.

So... Not pmd (tried 4 of them with no change in symptoms)... Not injection pump (no codes), changed out app sensor (complete freaking assembly but now has a lifetime warranty). Of course it could be junk in the tank and needing a new sock... I changed out the fuel cap. At some point someone put a gas cap on it. I put a pretty green one back on. I also need a radiator cap as I lost the last one (oops... Adding water/antifreeze and never put the cap back on).
Changing fuel filter tomorrow and checking for push from lift pump when I bleed it...

Sounds like the culprit may be the ops. My oil pressure guage doesn't register (I think it used too) so doesn't look good for the sensor/switch... Gonna price it tomorrow... It runs fine at in town/2nd gear... Starts running away once it shifts into overdrive (above 50) and doesn't come back down... And I changed out the pedal... My husband supervised...

Oh and I need to run run run it and keep the fuel tank full... Or at least the top half of the tank... And I found a few good diesel brains to pick in the parts guy at O'Reilly's (Before moving to Texas a few years back he worked for GMC in Michigan) As well as my cousin Frank who works on Cats and Cummins... And Nick the neighbor "boy"...

And got rid of all the puppies. Just have my Baby (red Heeler/lab), Jax the Boxer and my old (8) blue healer mix Ruffus... So much quieter in my house.

I think I'm turning into a diesel mechanic.
Does anyone know where to get an inexpensive repair book for my 95 Beast?

If you're going to go through all that and go ahead and change your crank position sensor and your temp control center....because both of them have a really bad habit of screwing with the engines and making them do nasty things

Get a fuel Pressure gauge on there. You can throw a ton of parts at it if you want, but new parts doesn’t mean good parts. New defective parts are out there and can really complicate diagnostics.

Imo at this point:
Fuel pressure read at the ip inlet.
Fuel sample from drain checking for any contamination and test volume.
Clear line on ip return line to watch for fuel flow and air intrusion.

If you need further descriptions on those items, just ask.

Last post on my big red Beast. Crankshaft/main drive. Both seals front and back are gone and the whole thing rocks hard and the several injectors are locked up. Taking all my fixes off (pmd and app, they didn't help anyway) so I can get my money back and selling the thing. Anyone in East Texas looking for a cheap truck? She'll start but revs high then comes down and bounces... $1000.00
Or anyone nearby got a little gasser for cheap? I'll even throw in the truck...

Back