• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brake upgrades using factory parts for GMT-400(88-00 OBS), and 94-99 DODGE 2500/3500

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Fermanator! Thank you for the kindness of a reply! To summarize:
1. My 8 lug C2500 2WD semi floating Axel WILL NOT ACCEPT the 3.5” drums and shoes.
2. I can upgrade the FRONT BRAKES using ALL the GMT800 parts without difficulty, and improve the braking for a reasonable cost.
Did I get it right??

Grateful to you!!
Bob
1. As far as I know, no. Trucks with the 13x3.5" brake shoes were all 14 bolt full floaters with the drums that slide over the hub. The 13x2.5" shoes were on semi-float axles and 14 bolts with the drums behind the hub. The 3.5" wide drums are pretty massive.

2. It's doable as several have done it, but it requires reamers, and quite a few parts be swapped out.

Big T

Reaction score
1. As far as I know, no. Trucks with the 13x3.5" brake shoes were all 14 bolt full floaters with the drums that slide over the hub. The 13x2.5" shoes were on semi-float axles and 14 bolts with the drums behind the hub. The 3.5" wide drums are pretty massive.

2. It's doable as several have done it, but it requires reamers, and quite a few parts be swapped out.
Definitely doable, but if you go all new quality parts, it will run you $1,200.

Pistachiobob

Reaction score
Dear Fermanator: You have been exceedingly gracious with your time and expertise! Many Thanks!
I have to review the details of your original post back in, I believe, 2016, where you provided photos of the parts needed to upgrade the front braking system of C and K 2500 GM vehicles. Based on the responses of BIG T and your last reply, I apparently am confused on what the GMT800 vehicle is; I thought it was the 3500 series, which I recall as having front rotor and caliper parts that would interchange with the C2500 parts without modifying any of the front suspension. I am GREATLY appreciative of EVERYONE’s replies to assist me in driving a safer 1999 C2500 Suburban!!
Best, Bob

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Dear Fermanator: You have been exceedingly gracious with your time and expertise! Many Thanks!
I have to review the details of your original post back in, I believe, 2016, where you provided photos of the parts needed to upgrade the front braking system of C and K 2500 GM vehicles. Based on the responses of BIG T and your last reply, I apparently am confused on what the GMT800 vehicle is; I thought it was the 3500 series, which I recall as having front rotor and caliper parts that would interchange with the C2500 parts without modifying any of the front suspension. I am GREATLY appreciative of EVERYONE’s replies to assist me in driving a safer 1999 C2500 Suburban!!
Best, Bob
Most refer to the gmt800 as the nbs. They started in 99 with the newer body style truck's, and then in 01 the 2500hd and 3500 trucks. They have dual piston caliper brakes front and rear compared to the gmt400(excluding the c3500hd) with single piton in front and drums in rear.