• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blow by

Also @Jaryd
If You was going to do this on a different wehicle with a 6.5, would You stay with this size of a cannister ?
I know that the hoses would need to be to the size that the CDR is and on the downdraft side, the size on the turbo plumbing port.

I’m curious on the turbo boost level or crankcase vacuum level the CDR closes. Don’t know why but I’ve recently been having visions of getting another turbo!! Just something that sings but has the same or better spool up as low rpm stock!

I know, call me crazy (my middle name) thinking I’m doing something like that to an engine with blow by.

I love to hear the turbo sing noises. I hear those big Detroit’s fire up in the shop at work and I look like I’m listening to good music lol

this will answer some of your questions

@ak diesel driver so in conclusion the CDR experiment didn't work on your engine? was it still pulling oil through after you adjusted it? I also read another thread that Bison did that was linked in your thread where the provent200 kept positive pressure on the CC even without the CDR in there! I think that was because of a pressure valve that is on the provent canister.

this has sparked some ideas on building a CC filter assy that would use a paper or foam element unless I can find something like the provent200 that doesn't have the pressure valve in it. I need to take a good look at the CC filter housing on some of our equipment here at work. they use the same round type filter like the provent uses.

Wow. Good ole Detroit! We have a couple of those at my work one of them is a twin engine where two engines are bolted together as one on a huge gen set.

they decommissioning those you have maybe they’ll let you get parts lol. That’s a big CC filter!

Oh My goooodness. I love that generator. Tell them it is scrapped and a friend over in Montana will take it offa their hands for free, but, but they will need to ship it over to Me. 😹😹😹
I think that CC catch can on that one is a little big but it definetely would work on out 6.5s with plenty of capacity. 😹😹😹

@dbrannon79 You said you read where bison said he had crankcase pressure still with the provent, can you post link as to where please?

Everything I understand about the provent is that it is designed to get crankcase to at least atmospheric even if the vacuum from the intake side stops. I am wondering how he did his because the design of it means that should never happen. Thats what the valve on the side of the canister is.

This is actually part of my concern is because I will have my rig under water and that valve opening up could make for a very bad day. So I will probably silicone mine shut.

@Will L.

this thread was linked in the thread that AK linked further up here. its an old thread.

for those who run across these old thread links that don't work, I found a trick to pull them up and thought I'd share....

the origional link in that thread AK posted above had this link. which does not work.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?4489-Alternative-for-pesky-CDR-pic&highlight=provent

you just change " showthread.php? " with " threads/ " and the number gets moved behind the ending of the link with a dot (.) before the number. of course I also removed the " &highlight=provent " part so it won't highlight all those words.

if its anything like the downpour we recently had, it'll be under water just to get down the driveway!
Doubtful. @Will L. lives in Las Vegas (Lost Wages), NV. They've been in a severe drought the past couple of years in the Southwest and SoCal and the water demands from Los Angeles have lowered Lake Mead to levels not seen since it was filling (1934) and Hoover Dam's completion (1936) and it reached maximum in 1937.

Doubtful. @Will L. lives in Las Vegas (Lost Wages), NV. They've been in a severe drought the past couple of years in the Southwest and SoCal and the water demands from Los Angeles have lowered Lake Mead to levels not seen since it was filling (1934) and Hoover Dam's completion (1936) and it reached maximum in 1937.

Don't limit it to just Los Angeles. Phoenix, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada are all on the Colorado River water system and have been growing very quickly. But yes, SoCal takes more than there share. Bottom line, population has exceeded capacity of the available run off water.

I suppose with those moving from Cali to here in Texas, the population issue might help. I feel you all up in that area, we have been on water restrictions here before but nothing compared to what y'all are experiencing wish that storm that hit us would have made it to y'all with a nice long lasting rain and not a sudden downpour.

What, you planning on fording Lake Mead next summer?
I would if I could! That’s fun driving a rig 3/4 under water. Like playing submarine driver and off roading all at once. They get whiny about driving rigs in the water- not that it’s bad, they just want $ for it being a boat and thats taxes they miss out on!!

The water shortage is bad. Vegas has no worries, pretty much all of Az goes dry before we do. Yes a drought but that is cyclic. And it really isn’t the population growth, although most the news makes that to be it. Each place is allocated a certain amount of water and no one is over using it- the problem is cloud seeding and the bureaucrats don’t want to admit it. California wants more farming growth so they cloud seed to extract moisture from air. By time Utah gets it, they have to cloud seed to grow what they are used to. None left beyond Utah. Thats why Colorado doesn’t get moisture.

Desalination for Cali, there is no he water for crops. use the salt to make sodium ion batteries for cars and such instead of lithium. That solve battery supply issue and hyper sodium from desalination.
Simple solution but not enough millionaires becoming billionaires, and gubmint not getting their kickback. So we will see how long it takes them to do the obvious.
Crops will cost more for their desalination plants but food will sell...

I would if I could! That’s fun driving a rig 3/4 under water. Like playing submarine driver and off roading all at once. They get whiny about driving rigs in the water- not that it’s bad, they just want $ for it being a boat and thats taxes they miss out on!!

The water shortage is bad. Vegas has no worries, pretty much all of Az goes dry before we do. Yes a drought but that is cyclic. And it really isn’t the population growth, although most the news makes that to be it. Each place is allocated a certain amount of water and no one is over using it- the problem is cloud seeding and the bureaucrats don’t want to admit it. California wants more farming growth so they cloud seed to extract moisture from air. By time Utah gets it, they have to cloud seed to grow what they are used to. None left beyond Utah. Thats why Colorado doesn’t get moisture.

Desalination for Cali, there is no he water for crops. use the salt to make sodium ion batteries for cars and such instead of lithium. That solve battery supply issue and hyper sodium from desalination.
Simple solution but not enough millionaires becoming billionaires, and gubmint not getting their kickback. So we will see how long it takes them to do the obvious.
Crops will cost more for their desalination plants but food will sell...

Cloud seeding, please Will, stop the conspiracy theory crap.

1975-1977 was the worst drought in California's recorded history. The second worst was back during the Gold Rush era. The current drought is the third worst in recorded history. The difference is that there was only 21.5 million people in California back in 1975. Today there are 40 million people. No new water conveyance has been built in California since 1975 and minimal water storage has been built. It is a population problem, not a cloud seeding problem. If cloud seeding were so effective, then why has the rain and snowfall been so low in California during this drought?

From a FAQ by Wichita Falls, TX on Cloud Seeding:

Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Cloud-Seeding (wichitafallstx.gov)

14. Can cloud seeding change weather patterns or affect the climate? No. Cloud seeding changes individual clouds or groups of clouds. Changes to largescale weather and climate patterns are determined by much greater forces such as global circulation patterns and ocean temperatures. 15. Can cloud seeding end droughts? Though drought is sometimes the impetus for implementing a cloud seeding program, it is not generally advocated for such purposes. The reason for this is that droughts are caused by prolonged periods that do not produce clouds conducive to precipitation production. Therefore, cloud seeding opportunities during these periods are few, often providing limited results (See Question #2). A long-term and well-designed cloud seeding program can potentially soften the impact of drought, however, since increased precipitation before and after drought would temper the reduction of rainfall during the drought period. 16. Does cloud seeding affect precipitation downwind? The notion that rainfall increases produced in one area by seeding must be offset by decreases somewhere else has never been substantiated. Rainfall data from a number of cloud-seeding project areas have been examined in detail for evidence of ―extraarea‖ effects. In some cases, there is evidence that cloud seeding in one area has actually increased rainfall at distances of up to 100 miles, or more, downwind from the area of intended effect. This has been documented with the long-running (30-year) rainenhancement program of the Colorado River Municipal Water District.

Last edited:
I will leave this alone after 2 comments to not sidetrack this thread.
Let’s start a new thread if the subject is enough to carry on.
1. anyone can figure out if 100 units of moisture comes in from the ocean in the air, and 50 are extracted in location A, 25 units extracted in location B, how much is left for location C. Location C will not be unmodified.
2. I have several family members involved in the studies and actual seeding going back from the late 50’s. Much of what is put out is misinformation, why is the conspiracy- not if it happens.

Back