• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Alternative for pesky CDR: pic

bison

Reaction score
Well folks,the CDR has generated some discussions from time to time.
For the guys that don't want to vent the stupid contraption to the atmosfeer and stay within the emmision guidelines, and keep the intercooler clean if they have one.
This is the same one GMCTD talks about in the former post, it is a good alternative,altough not cheap.I got this thing from Germany last yr,as they where not avalable i Canada yet, now they are.
This provent unit has the same function as the CDR, but filters the oil out and drain it back to the crankcase.
I found the best place to put it was where it is now.The air tubes have the shortest route,as well as the oil drain tube The drain is coming from the bottom of the unit going around the the back of the block and between the exh manifold and oil filter to about 2" from the bottom of the pan.There ain't a lot of room to run the drain tube to any other location save to the the oil drain plug with a banjo connector,as the drain has to terminate below the oil level in the pan. The brackets and tubes are home build,i found it looking more professional, but hoses would work just as well. I cut the old CDR apart to get the connection for the valve cover. The old connector tube from the CDR to the turbo intake is used to connect the unit to valve cover as well.
How well it works, time will tell. I paid $220.-cnd incl freight.

This unit is put on my fresh rebuild it Myself 6.5.

Attachments

• C.OILsep,vent valve 015.jpg
    C.OILsep,vent valve 015.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 243
Nice job, but Provent is not a replacement for the CDR - you must run the CDR with the Provent to limit vacuum to ~6"HG in the valve-cover\crankcase at hi-Boost levels - Provent only precipitates the denser oil from the vapors, and has pressure-limiting valving to prevent crankcase explosions - 'nuther better location for out-venting is the oil-filler tube, where there is less commotion to cause the oil-spray which loads up the vapor phase - the '06-up engines have the relocated vent from the factory, but you can find the oil-filler vent systems on the early 6.2, where the CDR is mounted atop the alternator bracket - don't use that 6.2 CDR, as it is calibrated for n\a engines - got that vent system on mine, heh heh........................

Nice job, but Provent is not a replacement for the CDR - you must run the CDR with the Provent to limit vacuum to ~6"HG in the valve-cover\crankcase at hi-Boost levels - Provent only precipitates the denser oil from the vapors, and has pressure-limiting valving to prevent crankcase explosions - 'nuther better location for out-venting is the oil-filler tube, where there is less commotion to cause the oil-spray which loads up the vapor phase - the '06-up engines have the relocated vent from the factory, but you can find the oil-filler vent systems on the early 6.2, where the CDR is mounted atop the alternator bracket - don't use that 6.2 CDR, as it is calibrated for n\a engines - got that vent system on mine, heh heh........................
That,s New to me, I got the installation instructions from the outfit in Germany. These units where developed for a wide range of diesels up to 300 hp. They did not say anything about limiting vac. Older diesels have only a breather tube anyway.
So what's the problem?
On my wife's truck the [ stuck open ] CDR is vented to the world for the last 30 k with NO problems at all

The @#$@:cuss: CDR is GONE and it ain,t coming back on my engine:hand:

I was just thinking the same thing!

Regarding the engine pictured in your post: Is that a zip tie holding the rear passenger-side fuel return line to the black metal bracket? I always wondered what those holes were for.
did the zip tie
to keep hose from the heat shield.

So the "IN" is connected to where the hole of the original CDR, and the "OUT" is connected to the current hole to the Turbo Inlet?

What about if your a member of "the massive blowby club" does all this CDR stuff still apply?

how about a link to where you got it?...

thanks
I'm a sucker for remembering names,its something like "Mann & Hummel" or the other way around, there's an office now in Toronto,Vancouver and some in the US i believe. Its easy to find on the net.I got mine from Germany last yr.

Hey bison are you trying to make your motor look like your namesake? Your motor now has a bison hump on it. :D

How is this working out? I bought a new/used one. Did you use the restrictor? I was planning on dumping the oil back into the oil fill tube but I hope the blow by doesn't push the oil back up or not let it drain?

It keeps the oil out of the intake as it is supposed to do but it keeps a slight ( 1/2 psi average )positive crank case pressure at all RPM's,..crank seals are seeping oil.
Can't use the filltube, the drain needs to terminate below lowest oil level in the pan.

The pipe routing in the pic is wrong,(forgot to post that back when) i had to re-do the routing so the top tube on the provent goes to the valve cover and the bottom one to the turbo.

I won't use the provent again but pipe her to the road.

Back