• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual GM/AC Delco part #'s for cooling parts for a 6.5 turbo diesel and where to get them

now as far as a Thermostat what would be the best to use? brand and part # if possible

Depends on how you want to configure the truck.

Generally, A/C Delco gets good comments. In terms of which part:
> 180F is where most people who run the truck hard configure the system (towing, loaded, etc).
> 190F is where most daily drivers configure the system.
Rock Auto carries the range of thermostats and the temperature setting is in the parts description. Actual thermostat part number depends on the temperature and whether you decide on a single or dual thermostat setup.

Another aspect of the thermostat is it will affect fuel economy. 190F will get better fuel economy and 180F (or lower) will consume more fuel as the heat soaks into the block rather than apply force to the piston. Hence the earlier comment to decide on a path for the truck and then get the appropriate clutch and thermostats. If the truck is *not* going to tow or haul, consider going with the warmer 190F setup and still use the DMax (or similar) fan to move a lot of air when necessary.

Last edited:
Depends on how you want to configure the truck.

Generally, A/C Delco gets good comments. In terms of which part:
> 180F is where most people who run the truck hard configure the system (towing, loaded, etc).
> 190F is where most daily drivers configure the system.
Rock Auto carries the range of thermostats and the temperature setting is in the parts description. Actual thermostat part number depends on the temperature and whether you decide on a single or dual thermostat setup.

Another aspect of the thermostat is it will affect fuel economy. 190F will get better fuel economy and 180F (or lower) will consume more fuel as the heat soaks into the block rather than apply force to the piston. Hence the earlier comment to decide on a path for the truck and then get the appropriate clutch and thermostats. If the truck is *not* going to tow or haul, consider going with the warmer 190F setup and still use the DMax (or similar) fan to move a lot of air when necessary.

you have a good point i should have mentioned that earlier too
i have the stock single stat setup. would it be worth it and have any improvements to convert to the dual stat setup? or just stick with the single stat setup and just replace the thermostat?
how i use it is mainly the winter months alot and for work and errands.
i haul more items in the bed than i tow but sometimes i do tow things.i also plan on putting a plow on the truck and use it for snow

Single or dual thermostats, when setup correctly, seems more of a personal preference.

From what I have read, plowing opens up a completely different topic. Do some searching as from what I recall, having a plow on front can lead to running hot due to reverse airflow. Unless plowing commercially, consider moving the snow with something else as bending a frame can cost more than purchasing a blower or attachment for the tractor.

Run the single stat, and ONLY use an AC DELCO t-stat in it. The aftermarket stats can prevent the stat from fully opening due to the bypass valve spring having to much tension on the aftermarket units.

For Thermostat used ACDelco.

I know jrsavoie have used Stewart Warner (sp???) not sure for the part no, though.

RobertShaw is also good, not sure if Kennedy still sell those.
I think this become Stewart Warner.

I got the RobertShaw from Kennedy and it is still good after a few years.

Personally I would go with the 2840. It is calibrated to come on without the extra heat from an intercooler heating up the airflow through the cooling stack. I would use the parts for a 2000 truck with a 6.5L for the water pump and fan clutch, the fan blade from a 2001 2500HD with a 6.6L DURAMAX, and the factory AC DELCO t-stat for a 94 6.5L truck. Don't worry about the dual t-stat housing as many have swapped back to the single trying to keep temps down since it blocks the bypass line whereas the dual housing doesn't block it.

Run the single stat, and ONLY use an AC DELCO t-stat in it. The aftermarket stats can prevent the stat from fully opening due to the bypass valve spring having to much tension on the aftermarket units.

For many years, I have only used
306 Stewart/Robert Shaw Thermostats - 306 in single thermostat applications. I've never replaced one.

Leroydiesel.com sells a nice made in Germany AC Delco for the single t-stat application. THe last single t-stat I bought from my local GM dealer was made in Mexico and didnt work the best.

I run whatever the truck came from the factory with as far as t-stat housings, I wont ever convert a single to duals, but I might convert a dual back to single.

Personally I would go with the 2840. It is calibrated to come on without the extra heat from an intercooler heating up the airflow through the cooling stack. I would use the parts for a 2000 truck with a 6.5L for the water pump and fan clutch, the fan blade from a 2001 2500HD with a 6.6L DURAMAX, and the factory AC DELCO t-stat for a 94 6.5L truck. Don't worry about the dual t-stat housing as many have swapped back to the single trying to keep temps down since it blocks the bypass line whereas the dual housing doesn't block it.

ok i"ll go with the 2840

Leroydiesel.com sells a nice made in Germany AC Delco for the single t-stat application. THe last single t-stat I bought from my local GM dealer was made in Mexico and didnt work the best.

I run whatever the truck came from the factory with as far as t-stat housings, I wont ever convert a single to duals, but I might convert a dual back to single.

ok good to know thanks

what do u guys think about these water pumps?

napa- tru-flow water pump part # TFW 44056

autozone- dura-last water pump part # DWP-9130

advance auto- carquest water pump part # T5095

all r NEW NOT REMANUFACTURED with Lifetime Warranty

or should i go with a brand new AC Delco from a 2000/2001 with a 1 year warranty?

what do u guys think about these water pumps?

napa- tru-flow water pump part # TFW 44056

autozone- dura-last water pump part # DWP-9130

advance auto- carquest water pump part # T5095

all r NEW NOT REMANUFACTURED with Lifetime Warranty

or should i go with a brand new AC Delco from a 2000/2001 with a 1 year warranty?
I wouldn't run any of them if I could get my hands on an AC DELCO. I've had WAY to many problems with AUTOZONE and ADVANCE parts, and anymore CARQUEST and NAPA are the same stuff.

Back