• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual GM/AC Delco part #'s for cooling parts for a 6.5 turbo diesel and where to get them

94 k3500 nick

Reaction score
looking to upgrade my factory fan,fan clutch, and water pump and any other cooling upgrade mods so...
does anyone know what the actual part #'s from ssdieselsupply.com are for there cooling parts are?
GM/AC Delco part #'s?
dont want to pay their ridiculous prices that im sure we can all get somewhere else for the same product

there part #'s are
part#- ssd-8663 for there fan
part#- ssd-074 for the water pump
part#- ssd-2302 for the fan clutch

i have a 94 6.5 turbo diesel. looking to get the maximum cooling and best parts without spending a arm and a leg for.
please let me know what u guys know where i can get or find these parts thanks

IDK what fan and fan clutch he used, but Heath ran a 1999.5 and up Water pump, PN 88894035, on a single t-stat truck, and had the best performance.

I personally think the 1999.5-2000 setup is great, there is ways to do better, such as the custom fan clutch from Kennedy, and a duramax fan, but as far as ease of ordering and just slapping it on, the 99.5-00 setup is nice. I also run manual transmissions only, and will kick the a/c off on a long pull, so that may affect my decision. :)

IDK what fan and fan clutch he used, but Heath ran a 1999.5 and up Water pump, PN 88894035, on a single t-stat truck, and had the best performance.

I personally think the 1999.5-2000 setup is great, there is ways to do better, such as the custom fan clutch from Kennedy, and a duramax fan, but as far as ease of ordering and just slapping it on, the 99.5-00 setup is nice. I also run manual transmissions only, and will kick the a/c off on a long pull, so that may affect my decision. :)

Search the archives for cooling upgrades and research the Haydens etc. to ensure you make an informed decision.

The important thing is to get the actual part # listed above in your hands. Not a 'Fitment' or Replacement Part for PN88894035.

I rarely tow anything but do load the bed from time to time (neighbors need a pallet of sod or something). My K1500 would heat up under it's own weight on the slightest of grades before doing important upgrades to improve baseline performance. I did a 4" exhaust kit first and the heating issues practically went away to the point I stopped worrying unless pulling 6% or better at speed. After installing Heath's kit, there have been no issues regardless of hill or speed. Ran that kit for 5 years. So last year when I replaced the motor, I ordered a new kit to boot and I continue to run issue free.

I know SSDiesel is just around the corner from you but there's too many unsatisfieds out there. When I lived back east I initially bought from him. Good guy to talk to on the phone but, none of his stuff stayed on my the truck for very long. HO Injectors (no improvement [go figure]), Insta-Heat Glows (didn't cure white smoke at start up, burned out faster than they heated up), FSD 'Remote' came off the intake in no time, [Hot] Air Intake filter failed & almost took out the turbo. He replaced the filter with an 'upgrade' but still.... Nope, its all gone.

If you're doing it all, then definately upgrade to the mid year 99 water pump with the spin on fan clutch. ROCKAUTO carries most all of the parts in AC DELCO which for the most part is the same as GM. I would run a 2000 water pump with a spin on fan clutch, HAYDEN severe duty spin on fan clutch, and a 01 fan blade from a DURAMAX. You might have to trim your shroud some to clear the bigger fan(this depends on the condition of your motor mounts, some have sagged over time which lets the engine drop down and the 1" larger diamter fan will hit because of it), but it moves ALOT of air and is relatively quiet. And beware of some of the cheap water pumps. I believe there was discussion awhile back about some of the cheap spin on water pumps actually using the older 97-98 style housing that didn't get the improved balance flow design to equal the flow between banks.

thanks for some info
i see that these other vendors sell kits as well
but i want to see if i can piece together quality parts and it would be less cost than the kits out there and save some $$
which is why i was wondering if anyone knew those part numbers of those advertised parts on ssdiesel's site or anyother vendor's site that offer the same parts/kits
i know the fan clutch will have to be bought by one of these vendors since its a specially calibrated clutch to fit the dmax fan and work with the 6.5 more effectively
i was also wondering what fan is ssdiesel's sever duty 10 blade fan white fan? and part # if possible
i also was wondering what is the difference or is there any benefit to the spin on type fan clutch and spin on type water pump besides the larger price tag over the earlier 4 bolt on type style?

Ok, Look up the parts on rock auto Ferminator mentioned, they are the correct ones, just look up by application. SS diesel did not invent or figure anything out, they are copying what other engineers learned after testing, and a couple of guys bought parts and compared to learn what they are.

On a direct note of what is trying to be politely said, I will say outright. Stay the heck away from SS Diesel many of us have been burned by them, myself (obliviously) included. There are a bunch of threads on multiple forums about it. research, read, and save your $ and headaches. There are some suppliers that a few say is overpriced, but not ripoff artists. I have never heard anyone say they have had bad service or unfair prices from Leroys.

If you buy from rockauto, remember to check the discount code thread.

We go by model year and application as part numbers get old and superseded. the water pump is critical to get "new" not reman due to the balance flow issues an old design rebuilt pump may have. There is no need to go beyond the 21" Duramax 2500 HD truck fan as the white fan best I can tell is from 5500 Kodiak or other MD trucks.

The spin on fan clutch water pumps have the different housings to allow for a more balanced flow of coolant to the 2 sides of the engine. The earlier 97-early 99 style water pump with 4 bolts was found to provide poor coolant flow to the passenger side of the engine which is the hotter running side. For a fan clutch, run the HAYDEN severe duty fan clutch for the 99+ 6.5L. The DURAMAX fan blade bolts right onto it no problems. You can spend the coin for the KENENDY fan clutch which will kick in a little sooner, or you can cut the bithermal spring yourself and get a simoiar result for ALOT less money. As to buying the parts yourself VS buying a kit, you can do it. Just remember the kits have been put together so there is no need for piecing it together yourself, and eliminates alot of the hassle. As far as the fans go, run the 01-05 DURAMAX fan blade, it moves plenty of air. I just looked, and I'm not sure what fan his white one is as it is not any fan used on the DURAMAX like I have seen.

Last edited:
You might have to trim your shroud some to clear the bigger fan(this depends on the condition of your motor mounts, some have sagged over time which lets the engine drop down and the 1" larger diamter fan will hit because of it), but it moves ALOT of air and is relatively quiet.

Plan on trimming the shroud unless a prior owner already did it. With only 10K miles on my motor mounts, I had to trim my shrouds when the DMax fan was installed.

Here: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/rockauto-code.18503/
This will likely offset the cost of shipping (maybe a little more, maybe a little less).

Prior to spending any money on the fan clutch, make a commitment on how you are going to use the truck. If the primary use is for towing, getting thermostats and a clutch that will target 180F makes sense as you want to dump the heat. If the primary use is for daily driver / highway, keeping the engine at 180F will increase the fuel consumption for no reason.

Ok, Look up the parts on rock auto Ferminator mentioned, they are the correct ones, just look up by application. SS diesel did not invent or figure anything out, they are copying what other engineers learned after testing, and a couple of guys bought parts and compared to learn what they are.

On a direct note of what is trying to be politely said, I will say outright. Stay the heck away from SS Diesel many of us have been burned by them, myself (obliviously) included. There are a bunch of threads on multiple forums about it. research, read, and save your $ and headaches. There are some suppliers that a few say is overpriced, but not ripoff artists. I have never heard anyone say they have had bad service or unfair prices from Leroys.

i have looked and searched to find the answers to my questions for awhile with no results. so thats why i thought i could start a thread to help get those answers and save myself the headache of keep trying to look and search and also to help other members find the same answers too.
i will keep your advice in mind about ssdieselsupply but again i just wanted to know what some of there products were that anyone can buy brand new from places like amazon,ebay,rockauto, ect... I know that ssdieselsupply is overprices
i always say that "you dont ask you dont get what you are looking for"
again thanks for your reply

We go by model year and application as part numbers get old and superseded. the water pump is critical to get "new" not reman due to the balance flow issues an old design rebuilt pump may have. There is no need to go beyond the 21" Duramax 2500 HD truck fan as the white fan best I can tell is from 5500 Kodiak or other MD trucks.

ok thanks for that info i think your right on the white fan not entirely sure too but i most likely wont pursue to find out it might be overkill anyways

The spin on fan clutch water pumps have the different housings to allow for a more balanced flow of coolant to the 2 sides of the engine. The earlier 97-early 99 style water pump with 4 bolts was found to provide poor coolant flow to the passenger side of the engine which is the hotter running side. For a fan clutch, run the HAYDEN severe duty fan clutch for the 99+ 6.5L. The DURAMAX fan blade bolts right onto it no problems. You can spend the coin for the KENENDY fan clutch which will kick in a little sooner, or you can cut the bithermal spring yourself and get a simoiar result for ALOT less money. As to buying the parts yourself VS buying a kit, you can do it. Just remember the kits have been put together so there is no need for piecing it together yourself, and eliminates alot of the hassle. As far as the fans go, run the 01-05 DURAMAX fan blade, it moves plenty of air. I just looked, and I'm not sure what fan his white one is as it is not any fan used on the DURAMAX like I have seen.

so just so i understand correctly the 96-99 higher flowing 4-bolt water pumps are not as good as the 2000-01 spin on water pumps which are even better preforming and better flowing water pumps besides the slightly bigger price tag than the 4 bolt style water pumps and fan clutches? or is it just the way someone prefers to have these mounted bolted on vs threaded on and you pay more for the threaded on water pump and fan clutch?
so the best overall setup would be a 2000-01 spin on water pump for best flow with a vendors special spin on fan clutch or the Hayden fan clutch?
or am i overthinking this to much?

Plan on trimming the shroud unless a prior owner already did it. With only 10K miles on my motor mounts, I had to trim my shrouds when the DMax fan was installed.

Here: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/rockauto-code.18503/
This will likely offset the cost of shipping (maybe a little more, maybe a little less).

Prior to spending any money on the fan clutch, make a commitment on how you are going to use the truck. If the primary use is for towing, getting thermostats and a clutch that will target 180F makes sense as you want to dump the heat. If the primary use is for daily driver / highway, keeping the engine at 180F will increase the fuel consumption for no reason.

ok i keep the fan shroud trimming in mind when i do all this if i have to.
now as far as a Thermostat what would be the best to use? brand and part # if possible

Water pump, 1999+ 6.5 diesel-Hummer, van whatever, 130GPM waterpump AC Delco:# 252776,GM #88926290
Dmax fan:AC Delco:# 1580690, 15010202, 15228374, 1580920
Kodiak spin on fan clutch, Hayden-2886

thanks these will be helpful to look up and let me make some decisions on a selection of parts
would u happen to also have or know the 4 bolt style higher flow or HO Water pump and 4 bolt Fan clutch part #'s by chance?

so just so i understand correctly the 96-99 higher flowing 4-bolt water pumps are not as good as the 2000-01 spin on water pumps which are even better preforming and better flowing water pumps besides the slightly bigger price tag than the 4 bolt style water pumps and fan clutches? or is it just the way someone prefers to have these mounted bolted on vs threaded on and you pay more for the threaded on water pump and fan clutch?
so the best overall setup would be a 2000-01 spin on water pump for best flow with a vendors special spin on fan clutch or the Hayden fan clutch?
or am i overthinking this to much?
The spin on water pump for late 99 on is the better pump, and is better than the 97-99 4 bolt style. For the fan clutch I would run the one for a 00 6.5L myself. The DURAMAX fan clutches are calibrated for higher temps since they also have an intercooler up front creating a heat load. For ultimate heat control you can go with KENNEDY's special calibrated fan clutch, or modify your own(there are many threads on doing this here). And for a fan blade the 21" DURAMAX fan blade for an 01-05 truck is about as good as you can get. The white fan SS is selling is not a KODIAK fan as they are all together different from the truck fans, and I have no idea what it fits except for maybe a powerstroke.

Last edited:
Water pump, 1999+ 6.5 diesel-Hummer, van whatever, 130GPM waterpump AC Delco:# 252776,GM #88926290
Dmax fan:AC Delco:# 1580690, 15010202, 15228374, 1580920
Kodiak spin on fan clutch, Hayden-2886
Why the KODIAK fan clutch over the 6.5's? Just curious, but the specs on the KODIAKS 2886 clutch puts the fan furthur into the shroud than the 6.5's 2840 clutch does.

Why the KODIAK fan clutch over the 6.5's? Just curious, but the specs on the KODIAKS 2886 clutch puts the fan furthur into the shroud than the 6.5's 2840 clutch does.

From what I was told, they have a lower engagement than a stock 6.5. They are identical in specs to a 6.5. I used those parts I listed, they were given to me by others, and fit a 98 perfectly, with a bit of fan shroud trimming. He said it made a noticeable difference when towing.

Back