• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fan Clutch replacement + Mod

Pruittx2

Been around a bit
Reaction score
Ok after searching and finding info,, but lack luster pics,, I thought I do these.

Before

003.jpg

and After shots of the clutch spring.
Notice the tab is a tad shorter in the slot.

006.jpg

So from what I've read,,, you dig out the silicone holding the tab in place,,, and pull it out of the slot,, and straighten the tab out.
Then about 1/8 inch closer to the end,, you bend it back. and replace it in slot, then re-silicone the tab. <--- this part isnt' shown in pic's.

Part in question is a brand new ACDelco 15-4674 Radiator Fan Clutch found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9FCZ2/?tag=jhuntlink-20 For $64.73

and installed on this ACDelco 15-80690 Fan Blade for $43.14 From Amazon as well.

My current fan clutch sounded like a constant bird chirping while engine was running,, and when off, the fan/clutch assem would wiggle from top to bottom, like the clutch shaft was worn. My 95 Burb has the stock 6 blade metal fan. The Previous owner said, that the air conditioning, in 90F weather at idle in the Big Black Burb, would start to get warm,, but once moving again,, would get cool again. We were at 80F the other day, and it seemed fine to me, and stayed cold enough for me to turn the fan down some. So this weekend,, I'll be mounting this new setup, in there, and further enhance the not quite up to snuff GM setup that is in there.
008.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
At 80F you hardly need the AC on ;v) Thats a nice sunny day in central CA. Although get into the 90s and the AC will likely start having issues, but not after the Dmax fan. Let us know your impressions of how much air it moves at idle, the warm air you'll likely feel on your legs before stepping up into the truck.

says that fan clutch is refurbished. you can get a hayden or 4 seasons for about 124 or so if you google it. Good price on the fan blade.

???? Nope the one I got was New from $64.. There is a refurb listed but it's $68.

Will do Buddy.

Well got it done today,,, after taking the stock 6 bolt fan off I found that it mounts the clutch differently than the D-max fan. Had to go to the parts store and get 4 metric bolts to mount clutch to fan. went in smooth, and had bout 3/8's in clearance all the way around the shroud.

Man does that thing move some air!!! Now will have to see how she handles the heat. When we get some. Haven't seen 80F since March! Crazy weather this year.
Also did the drivers door pins and bushings. Shuts like new again. :)

I´m looking to do this also. Do you have the stock 95 water pump? Is the new fan clutch for a 95? I want to do the same but I was under the impression that you had to change your water pump out to a late 90s model.

Thanks g

Older models have the 4 bolts on the clutch and water pump,, I think 98 and up have Newer ones that spin on one. <--- that one is all fine a good to install,, but a booger to get off in the future. My Part numbers above are for my 95, and should fit yours fine too.

Of coarse while in there,, pull Radiator, remove grill and un-bolt the trans and oil coolers,, then give them all a real good cleaning. ONLY replace T-stat with AC Delco unit, and don't forget to burp the system of air, once it's heated up, and cooled down.

Thanks for sharing with us Dave...give us shout after we get some heat & you have a chance to put it to a test.

My truck needs some updating but I don't tow often so I can wait for your feedback...

No bites on the truck yet?

Thanks for the reply! When I checked the compatibility chart for that clutch it said NOT compatible? But it looks like the 4 bolt I now have.

engagement temp is lowered. Say your towing, in 90F weather. and your water temp is getting up to 210 or so. the T-stat will open to cool down the water,, but it can take awhile. Your fan is supposed to kick in and help cool down the water in the Radiator faster, thus helping the engine shed some of the temp. By moving the bend,, the clutch will lock up sooner, and start the cooling sooner,, thus keeping you out of the danger zone temp wise. 210 is the MAX for safety sake.

Will do Crank!

The fan clutch from a 94-96 does have a different bolt pattern from the 97-98 clutches which were still bolt on. The 97-98 fan clutch should bolt right up the same on a low flow 94-96 water pump as the high flow from 97/98 water pumps. about midway through 99 they started the thread on clutches.

The Dmax fan will thread correctly onto any of the clutches from 97 up, but the bolt pattern is just a little off for the earlier clutches. You can still get it bolted on there if you start them all loose and tighten them incrementally.

I just wanted to thank you (Pruittx2) for the info on this mod. I installed the modified clutch,dmax fan and a new Tstat a couple of weeks ago and I can now give a fair report.

First a little history.My Sub had been heating up (unloaded) on moderate grades for the last few mos. Getting up to 210 or so. I have never heard the fan clutch engage. It was probably the original. The AC didn´t really get going until I was moving down the road. That was in 85° temps with moderate humidity.

It´s now rainy/hot season. Temps are in the 90°s with high humidity.

Wow what a difference. That fan roars and really pulls some air. I´m getting cold air from the AC at idle and on the same grades I´ve yet to exceed the tstats 195°. All in all I´m very
happy with this inexpensive and easy to do Mod. For me this was a direct swap I didn´t have any problems with the bolts.

I´ll be heading up to 6200 ft in a couple of weeks for summer vacation and I´ll give an update.

Thanks again
Gus

I just got these parts on tonight... AZ had the bolts... GM says 8mm 1.25 18mm, AZ has Dorman on their rack that are 16 mm. I went with those. I also used a washer on it, as the bolts were straight hex head.

Holy crap that thing pushes some air. I could tell at idle, but revved it up and at 2k it cleared the WET leaves out from under the truck for a solid 5 feet!

Now I just need to replace the control head on my AC that crapped out last night and I will be chilling.

Back