• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Everything looks great there Nate, and I'm really digging the shorter coated crown pistons, as well as the total seal ring. I'm a bit jealous actually. :D Hopefully this will be the last time you ever have this engine apart again. :)

Matt

Everything looks great there Nate, and I'm really digging the shorter coated crown pistons, as well as the total seal ring. I'm a bit jealous actually. :D Hopefully this will be the last time you ever have this engine apart again. :)

Matt
Thanks Matt, I hope so too, I have plenty of other projects that I should be working on instead of this.

I'll trade you my 6.5 with coated pistons for that tasty 383 you have Matt :D

Thanks Matt, I hope so too, I have plenty of other projects that I should be working on instead of this.

I'll trade you my 6.5 with coated pistons for that tasty 383 you have Matt :D
You would not. Besides, I need my 383, because if we ever meet up, I have no intention of being in the lane next to your beast with my 6.5. :D

Matt

I'd rather just have some of that Texas barbecue with you that I see on TV. Makes my mouth water everytime I see it. Oh and a ride in your truck would be nice too. :)

I'd rather just have some of that Texas barbecue with you that I see on TV. Makes my mouth water everytime I see it. Oh and a ride in your truck would be nice too. :)

Anytime you make it this far south Nate, just let me know, and I'll throw a brisket on the smoker. Oh, and forget riding in the truck, I'll let you drive it. :)

Matt

I don't, yet.

Pissed ons look good. Have you played with the gapless rings? They take a little learning curve to find the best installation method.
That would explain why I didn't see one on the website then. ;) Even though it would be nice to do an adapter with the engine out I think I'll wait. Maybe I'll do one when I put the driver side header on and maybe you'll have a kit by then.

The last set of rings I did were gapless. As I recall it was a little of a trick threading them on but I got the hang of it after pissing a couple times. Thanks for taking the upper rings off too Leroy. I threw one of each in the #8 cylinder just to see how close the gap was and they were right in the middle of the tolerance range. So I guess when Mahle does the rings that are preinstalled on the pistons they know how to grind them so they'll have a safe gap. I'll still check them all to make sure they're all ok of course but it doesn't break my heart not having to grind all of them!:joyful:

Anytime you make it this far south Nate, just let me know, and I'll throw a brisket on the smoker. Oh, and forget riding in the truck, I'll let you drive it. :)

Matt
You're too kind Matt. And I shoulda known that you would do your own smoking too! I want to try that some time. I saw Ferm making his own smoker in the Projects forum and it looked like a good idea....I probably don't need anything that big though, at least not to start.

It sure would be cool if the 6.5ers did regional get togethers. I'm a new member of the Cadillac and Lasalle club and participated in my first National Driving Tour and it was a heck of a lot of fun. It was hosted by the Motor City region of the club. It was a 4 day event with an itinerary for each day that included interesting places to see and scenic drives to take. I only participated in one day of events, but I was very impressed with the organization of the event. Each year a different region of the club hosts the event so each year you can tour a different part of the country. It isn't cheap, but also meals are included and so is admission to any of the sites on the tour. Of course on top of that you have to pay for gas and accomodations too.....so yeah, it's not cheap. Point is though, it sure would be cool to see some of you guys and gals that we regularly communicate with in person and see your 6.5s in person too!

One of the places we toured with the Cadillac club was the GM Heritage Collection, which is GM's personal car collection. There weren't any 6.5s in there but lots of cool GM iron on display. I looked in to it and you need a group of 30 people to tour it (it isn't open the general public). It made me think that maybe some day I could get some of you guys and gals with significant others to come around and do a tour of some kind. Nothing as elaborate at was the Caddy guys do but enough that we could get together and meet and see some cool stuff we may not normally get to see.

I did some poking around on the website a while ago and found that there is indeed a section to try to get people together, but it doesn't appear to get used. I wonder if people would even notice if something was posted there?

Maybe next year I'll get inspired enough to try to coordinate something. I do like when I read that 6.5ers who are geographically close to each other get in touch or visit each other when travels take them near another member. That's good stuff. Maybe it makes sense to just keep it to that and not try to formally organize something? I don't know.

Ok, I wasn't planning on spewing all of that this morning! Hopefully my next post has more engine assembly going on and less kumbaya. ;)

Oh and because any post is better with pics, here are a couple pics from inside the Heritage Collection.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cool pics. I can't tell what I looked at longer, the jet fighter car or the v16.
Not sure if you noticed, but 2 of the other engines were V12s. In the 60s Cadillac was working on its next engine design and they had 2 designs in the works. One was a V12 and the other was a huge V8. The huge V8 won and became the 472/500. BUT that is why the Caddys of the late 60s/early 70s have such long engine bays, they were designed so they could accomodate a V12 if that was the design that won. Something that I thought was interesting....it said that a lot of what they learned with the V12 project was applied to the 4100HT series engine. Given that engine's reputation, it's probably a good thing they didn't do the V12 o_O

The V16 is the one that was in the show car. It looked like it was basically 2 LS engines, which would be smart. They said it puts out 1000hp and 1000ft-lbs!

Very cool pics Nate!!! So, whats the scoop on the twin turbo tuned port engine?
When I was a kid my dad took me to the Henry Ford Museum, and that was an awesome time.
Matt

Very cool pics Nate!!! So, whats the scoop on the twin turbo tuned port engine?
When I was a kid my dad took me to the Henry Ford Museum, and that was an awesome time.
Matt
I wish I knew, they didn't have any info on that one, but I think that would have been one heck of a torque monster.

I've been there many times, it is a really cool museum. It's totally different now from how it used to be, but still really great. Also in the attached Greenfield Village now you can take rides in Model Ts and it seems like they even have special events where you can drive them IIRC.

Very nice pictures of the GM Collection. Thanks. Car shows are all a lot of fun. Best one I've been to was, well, the last one.

GTGs are great, sorry to have driven past both Matt and Leroy last month but work kept me up in the San Antonio area and northwards from there. Maybe next year?

As for pistons, not to hijack the great thread but maybe help get it nudged back to motors, here's one of the pistons that went into my build.
Mahle 6.2 30 over. Not sure as I ran out of fingers and toes trying to figure it out on my own but was told that the motor would measure out at 383 as well.
DSC01811s.jpg

Not a hijack at all.

That's funny, I just did the math and a .030 over 6.2 is 383.93 cubic inches, huh, I didn't realize.

Back to business. I got the valve covers stripped and painted to match the rest of the engine. I wasn't very impressed with that sound deadening paint I tried. It never got very hard and soaking in my parts washer had it peeling right off which isn't normal for paint. I also doubt it was blocking much noise. This will look nicer too sonce the rest of this paint I love is pretty much buried.

I also got 6 pistons installed. Ring end gaps and bearing clearances are all right in the middle of the range.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I like the color, hope the rest of the build goes well.
Thanks Leo, me too. I didn't get to work on it over the weekend, so I'll be putting in a lot of evening work this week. My goal is to have it on the road this Saturday.

Back