• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

n8in8or

I never met a project I didn’t like
Reaction score
I found a 6.5 in a steel crate locally that is advertised as being rebuilt by the military. There aren't any pics in this ad, but it was posted last summer with pics and as I recall it was an NA engine. I'm going to go look at it later this week, but I was wondering if there are any special concerns regarding a military rebuild? I read that they don't do a good job breaking in the rings, but that's fine because I would put gapless rings in it. Also, if it isn't an Optimizer (which I'm not really hopeful that it is), should I just pass on it? I was planning on getting an engine from Ted's with tax money and doing a build off of that, but this engine is only $1000, and money not being what I hoped it to be this year, it would really help not spending that extra $2000. I already know I'll need to swap the precups, and that isn't a big deal. I suppose even if I can get 2 or so good years out of it, it wouldn't be too bad to do and then do the Ted's engine later. Any thoughts or advice that you guys can give on a military rebuild would be great, thanks!

IMO, if its not an optimizer I would pass at a grand. If it is, then it's worth the risk. All your buying is the parts. Your going to do rings, possibly bearings (dont forget the cam bearings), new balancer, head studs and gaskets.

Coming from the military is the same as if its from any garage, some guys are great and do a perfect job, you might find all new parts inside. It also could be some 18 year old guy tries it for the first time. You might open it up and find out he scratched the crank or was hoping the damage to a cylinder wall wasn't "that bad". Rebuilt from military adds 0 value if you can't hear it run before you buy.

For a Grand, I'd expect pics and an offer to take any additional that I want. Without pics, it is too much like a blind date.

Thanks for weighing in guys, I appreciate the thoughts and info. I think it's within 10-15 minutes of me so I'll take a look at it to see what it is (I'm waiting for a response from the seller to see where it is for sure and when we can meet up). If it has a diamond in the valley, then yeah it's mine....if not, then I'll have to weigh options.

Guaranteed running surplus 6.2's are going for $1000.00. So if this is a running engine that you hear run it's worth that. Depending on your turbo Precups may not matter. Most Military engines I have seen need rings and a clean up of the cylinders just from rust due to sitting.

Coated pistons with ceramic tops are overrated... :D

WW - I've seen you mention the surplus 6.2s a few times....where are you finding those? I've searched a couple times and haven't really found them yet. Or is that just the going rate for ones when you stumble across them? Thanks for any info.

Nate

Cool, thanks for the info.... I will add it to the list of options.

The owner of the engine did reply to me, saying that this isn't the same engine that was listed before and that he is right in town, so I'm trying to find out when I can come take a look at it. I will post updates.

I finally got to check the engine out last night.....there's a diamond in the valley!!! I'm picking it up tomorrow for $900 :D. I'm cautiously very excited. I wasn't too excited when I first saw it because it wasn't very pretty - I was expecting something that looked like what Ted's sells, but I suppose this is pretty much what his engines look like before he does his cleanup job on them. Come to find out, the owner of this engine was a partial owner in a military surplus business that used to be in Kalamazoo (I used to drool every time I went by there because they had a parking lot full of deuce-and-a-halves). He said at one time they had about 50 6.2s and 6.5s and this is the last one. It's still sitting in the steel crate, but the lid was removed. He said it's always been inside and periodically he has turned it over to keep it free. He said many people bought these engines and reported they were pretty inside when opened up. All his word, I know, just reporting what he said. It does turn over by hand, so I know it's not seized. It looks like the heads are new on it because they have stickers on the ends of them and they didn't have paint on them, while the block has paint on it, so I'm guessing it was either inspected or rebuilt before new heads being put on. Obviously it has suffered a little from condensation, but hopefully the insides were still sealed up well enough. After I pick it up tomorrow I'm going to tear it down to see what I have for sure. I know it's worth the money one way or another, so I'm not worried about that, I just don't know if it will get used now or not - it could run the gamut of a block that needs to be bored and everything needs to be reconditioned to a short block that has all new bearings with proper clearances and all it needs is Leroy's gapless rings and new gaskets. I'm guessing it's somewhere in between...and only one way to find out. Here are some pics I took, sorry about the poor quality...it was dark in the garage and then once I found the diamond I was just taking pictures, not really paying too much attention to what I was taking them of because I was actually in the presence of an Optimizer! I will post more pictures once I tear it down. Opti1.jpg Opti2.jpg Opti3.jpg Opti4.jpg Opti5.jpg

Nate, I wish I had your good luck. First a crack free 6.2 for $50, and now a $900 Optimizer?!?! :eek: Wow, thats fantastic, and I'm looking forward to the tear down, with lots of pics!:D

Matt

I know!! I feel like I went from zero to hero in a week! We'll see how lucky I was once I tear it down. Oh yes.....there will be pics :)

Sweet! Love good news.
10 20 L. Is date of manufacture, but I can't remember the code. I think Missy had it listed, but I can't find the thread.

Yeah good news rules!! I was thinking that the "10" was 2010, but did they make NA engines in 2010? Not too worried about that. I'm mostly hoping it's an ugly duckling that's real purdy inside. We'll find out tomorrow!

Back