• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

When warming up does the stepper motor reduce the idle rpm's, or?

Pop testers are cheap now and plenty of adjustment disks and springs are available to tune your injectors yourself.

IMHO, CarCode is the best bang for the buck and when you get use to it there will be no turning back.
Yes the stepper motor controls the rpm during cold start up.

I am liking the idea of setting the pop on the injectors myself. For what it cost me to have them popped last time, I could easily pay for the tester and shims. Plus then I could make sure they were popped closer to each other rather than someone who's just doing it for a job.

Yes the stepper motor controls the rpm during cold start up.

I am liking the idea of setting the pop on the injectors myself. For what it cost me to have them popped last time, I could easily pay for the tester and shims. Plus then I could make sure they were popped closer to each other rather than someone who's just doing it for a job.
I was thinking if the stepper was not fully operational it may cause an issue.

You can get them injectors real close doing it yourself and you know its done right!
I've used the so-called cheap ass nozzles for over 100k miles using 2 stroke as fuel additive and no problems.

Ok this a real hand on the forehead moment but I'm going to share just so others don't make the same mistake (and also so you don't think I was crazy before....). You know the shake I have been complaining about? Well I finally found a lot of it. Apparently my intake was crammed against the fender and core support so hard and the setup was so robuat that it was transmitting vibrations right to the body!! I don't know exactly why I was getting suspicious, but I decided to try removing it to see what would happen and it is mich better now!! I think I may still have some weak motor mounts that are allowin the engine to shake, plus I may have some inherent shake from my cam/hi pop injector/precup setup, but it feels more comfortable now. I cut 1.5" off the tube and it fits in the hole much better now. You can even see how it started to crush the filter in the pic from the stress that was on it. D'oh!! :facepalm:

On a related note, I've started to make plans on how to do my airbox. I think I've figured out a way to run the filter 90 degrees to the turbo and that should really help the fabrication of the airbox. I will start a post when I start doing that. image.jpgimage.jpg

Well you found one issue, I've found the factory mounts don't last with modified programming or more boost energy suspension will fix that. Get the CarCode OBD2 yet, or?

Well you found one issue, I've found the factory mounts don't last with modified programming or more boost energy suspension will fix that. Get the CarCode OBD2 yet, or?
I ordered it Sunday and I should have the cable Wednesday or Thursday. I can't wait to get to data logging and setting my timing properly!

Ok this a real hand on the forehead moment but I'm going to share just so others don't make the same mistake (and also so you don't think I was crazy before....). You know the shake I have been complaining about? Well I finally found a lot of it. Apparently my intake was crammed against the fender and core support so hard and the setup was so robuat that it was transmitting vibrations right to the body!! I don't know exactly why I was getting suspicious, but I decided to try removing it to see what would happen and it is mich better now!! I think I may still have some weak motor mounts that are allowin the engine to shake, plus I may have some inherent shake from my cam/hi pop injector/precup setup, but it feels more comfortable now. I cut 1.5" off the tube and it fits in the hole much better now. You can even see how it started to crush the filter in the pic from the stress that was on it. D'oh!! :facepalm:

On a related note, I've started to make plans on how to do my airbox. I think I've figured out a way to run the filter 90 degrees to the turbo and that should really help the fabrication of the airbox. I will start a post when I start doing that. View attachment 45006View attachment 45007

I never would have even thought that would cause enough vibration to feel having it pinned like that. Good job and finding and fixing that. :smuggrin:

I never would have even thought that would cause enough vibration to feel having it pinned like that. Good job and finding and fixing that. :smuggrin:
I wouldn't have thought of it right away either! Now maybe if I had tighter mounts it wouldn't have been an issue, but oh well. Someday I'll have this thing all straightened out....

I wouldn't have thought of it right away either! Now maybe if I had tighter mounts it wouldn't have been an issue, but oh well. Someday I'll have this thing all straightened out....

"Someday" is the keyword. I spent 8 years on my rig and there was always something to do. Now its moved on to be someone else's project. Its the joy of being a mechanic. People always thought my truck was falling apart because I worked on it so much. It was always me just tinkering :D

"Someday" is the keyword. I spent 8 years on my rig and there was always something to do. Now its moved on to be someone else's project. Its the joy of being a mechanic. People always thought my truck was falling apart because I worked on it so much. It was always me just tinkering :D
HOLY BALLS, you sold it!!?? I hadn't noticed that. So you're doing the Duramax thing now? Man that was a sharp truck, and you had so much work in to it....musta been hard to part with.

HOLY BALLS, you sold it!!?? I hadn't noticed that. So you're doing the Duramax thing now? Man that was a sharp truck, and you had so much work in to it....musta been hard to part with.

It was my first and only truck. I cried when it drove away, literally. It killed me to sell it. I bought it 8 years ago last month and sold it on the 26th. Had it sitting with a for sale sign in the window for 2 hours when the guy came and test drove it, and he picked it up the following weekend. Bought it for $6k and 8 years later sold it for $6,800 in two hours. As I was detailing it to sell Everywhere I looked there was something custom I had done to it. I know I had a least $10K in custom work from interior to gears and lights, everything but the engine had been replaced, redone or customized, I had people I never even met come up to me at gas stations and tell me they see me all over. Its the only truck I know of like itself in the area and probably the state. Man even this is depressing to write haha :sorry:.

But good news is I was able to get myself and the lady almost completely out of dept, apart from the new truck. Only reason I made the jump was It was the 06 duramax lbz crew cab and had 66,000 miles. Its the LT3 and immaculate inside. outside is being touched up in the paint shop as we speak. Some of the chrome popped some paint when I pulled it off. I love the new truck, its got everything, apart from memories I plan to make with it. The old truck will always be remembered. The BIGREDD license plate is hanging in my garage. And I think that the body style will still aways be my favorite

It was my first and only truck. I cried when it drove away, literally. It killed me to sell it. I bought it 8 years ago last month and sold it on the 26th. Had it sitting with a for sale sign in the window for 2 hours when the guy came and test drove it, and he picked it up the following weekend. Bought it for $6k and 8 years later sold it for $6,800 in two hours. As I was detailing it to sell Everywhere I looked there was something custom I had done to it. I know I had a least $10K in custom work from interior to gears and lights, everything but the engine had been replaced, redone or customized, I had people I never even met come up to me at gas stations and tell me they see me all over. Its the only truck I know of like itself in the area and probably the state. Man even this is depressing to write haha :sorry:.

But good news is I was able to get myself and the lady almost completely out of dept, apart from the new truck. Only reason I made the jump was It was the 06 duramax lbz crew cab and had 66,000 miles. Its the LT3 and immaculate inside. outside is being touched up in the paint shop as we speak. Some of the chrome popped some paint when I pulled it off. I love the new truck, its got everything, apart from memories I plan to make with it. The old truck will always be remembered. The BIGREDD license plate is hanging in my garage. And I think that the body style will still aways be my favorite

Wow, I can't imagine...... I guess that speaks volumes for how much you like the Duramax. Good luck making your new memories.
I'll have to keep an eye open for ya on the forums, I've enjoyed talking to you the little bit we did :happy:

Wow, I can't imagine...... I guess that speaks volumes for how much you like the Duramax. Good luck making your new memories.
I'll have to keep an eye open for ya on the forums, I've enjoyed talking to you the little bit we did :happy:

The power out of these trucks is amazing. And reliability. My dad has an 05 and its a big reason I upgraded.
It's been great talking to you and everyone else on here. This place is the reason I was able to do all I did to my rig. I bought it not knowing a thing.

I will be around. I don't know as much as you or most others here about these old trucks but I am here to offer my advice when its needed. I still brows here often, more so now on the duramax side. I have not lost any love for the 6.5. And hopefully one day I'll be in a place to venture down the old IDI road again.

On a related note, I've started to make plans on how to do my airbox. I think I've figured out a way to run the filter 90 degrees to the turbo and that should really help the fabrication of the airbox. I will start a post when I start doing that. View attachment 45006View attachment 45007
Use a silicone cobrahead 90 deg. for that longer runner when you do it there is actually more flow with it than the full 4" radius every little bit helps.

Use a silicone cobrahead 90 deg. for that longer runner when you do it there is actually more flow with it than the full 4" radius every little bit helps.
Oh, I didn't know you could get a silicone cobrahead.....unfortunately I have already ordered all of the parts for the intake. I will keep that in mind though in case I want to change it in the future. BTW, any progress on your 4" downpipe with a cobrahead?

Oh, I didn't know you could get a silicone cobrahead.....unfortunately I have already ordered all of the parts for the intake. I will keep that in mind though in case I want to change it in the future. BTW, any progress on your 4" downpipe with a cobrahead?
I'm recovering from a mini stroke w/o tissue damage and heart catheter another 5 weeks then I should be good to go with projects.

I also waiting for my front differential ARB update that I had held off like forever to be finished seals, bearings etc.

My list is; NP241c w/Gear Vender, stand alone trans controller or manual conversion, bull moose DB2, cobra downpipe to full 4", and custom 6" snorkel which I may market for the GMT400 series.

Last edited:
I'm recovering from a mini stroke w/o tissue damage and heart catheter another 5 weeks then I should be good to go with projects.
Wow! I hope all is well! Sheesh, first the shocker of SS selling his truck, then you with health problems! Of course those aren't on the same plane of seriousness..... Ok in the meantime I guess you'll just get to work on projects vicariously through us :D Take it easy and get better!

Wow! I hope all is well! Sheesh, first the shocker of SS selling his truck, then you with health problems! Of course those aren't on the same plane of seriousness..... Ok in the meantime I guess you'll just get to work on projects vicariously through us :D Take it easy and get better!
Well I handle my health issue pretty well I'm 100% service connected disabled vet since first gulf conflict have lots of titanium holding me together too no pharmaceuticals just organics and curamin for pain.

Did hell just freeze over!!? Damn never thought you get rid of it. Do you get visitation rights?

Back