• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Perhaps tucked up under between rocker and chassis at drivers side rear 1/4 panel.
Hmmm perhaps that would work. One thing I'd have to be careful of in that loacation is snow, slush and ice (something us Northerners are forced to deal with every year) but something could possibly be made to work there.

She's all painted up. I'm really pleased with the color! :D The valve covers and oil pan are my spares and just on there for masking purposes. I also got the old gas tank out so tomorrow I can start building the fuel system all fresh. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Yeah. I thought the front cover on yours was raw aluminum, but you must have painted it gray? That is a nice color too. I kind of liked the way the engine looked in primer gray too, I should have taken a picture.

All I have done is the oil pan, timing cover and tstat xover more of a primer grey but in paint. I sure like that cast iron color though.

I like the color your painting the engine Nate, kinda looks like the p400 in this photo.
AMGsnew6501.jpg

Well today wasn't the progress day I had planned. The only fuel system stuff I did was put foam tape on the tank at the contact points. Of course I couldn't resist playing with the newly pretty engine and when I did I noticed that the new water pump was making noise like it had bad bearings! :eek: I noticed that if I pulled on the pulley while spinning that the noise was less so I figured that it must have been made wrong and the impeller was sticking out too far and rubbing on the backing plate. So I disassembled it and immediately found the problem - the gasket was intruding into the cavity and the impeller was rubbing on it. An easy fix. I trimmed the gasket with an Exacto knife and the problem was quickly gone. So once I was playing with the engine already I couldn't help myself and unmasked it and then put some new bits on it...injection pump, oil filter adapter with new o-rings from Leroy, oil cooler fittings from Leroy and the Fluidamper also from Leroy. It's starting to look like a real engine, just need my rockers. I also did some much needed tool and litter cleanup in the barn that will make the next steps more enjoyable and organized. Finally since the rest of the engine was so nice looking I decided to throw some paint on the exhaust manifolds - couldn't put rusty manifolds on my purdy engine!!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Any idea how much $$$$ you have in this project?

I was keeping a spreadsheet when initially planning which route to take, but I haven't updated it with the changes I made during (like Fluidamper, repopping injectors, sound deadening, etc). I can post an itemized list at the end of the project for reference for others to use to plan builds.

Just keep in mind that the moment you publish the figures, your Wife has the opportunity to see exactly how much you are *not* spending on her . . . ;)

Good point, Jay! Hmmmm, maybe I'll post the "For her eyes only" tab on the forum and just PM the actual tab of the spreadsheet to interested people :D

Nah, she trusts in what I'm investing in this engine, no worries.:)

Good point, Jay! Hmmmm, maybe I'll post the "For her eyes only" tab on the forum and just PM the actual tab of the spreadsheet to interested people :D

Nah, she trusts in what I'm investing in this engine, no worries.:)

Famous last words. :eek:

And the color had me wondering where you got a thick cast intake manifold without the bolt holes. Took me 10 min to realize it was the painted masking tape!

Back