• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Famous last words. :eek:

And the color had me wondering where you got a thick cast intake manifold without the bolt holes. Took me 10 min to realize it was the painted masking tape!

I have to do something to try to throw you wiley guys!! ;)

A little progress tonight. I finally found the oil fill tube where it was hiding (which was in a box that I looked in at least THREE times before! :mad:) so I threw a coat of cast iron on it too. I tell you what, the more I see it, the more happy I am with the color! :D I also cleaned up the power steering pump pulley and threw a coat of black on it. Finally I did all my mods to the fuel sending unit. I put Leroy's Metrum Rod on it and installed the barbed fittings for my new fuel hoses. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

A little progress tonight. I finally found the oil fill tube where it was hiding (which was in a box that I looked in at least THREE times before! :mad:) so I threw a coat of cast iron on it too. I tell you what, the more I see it, the more happy I am with the color! :D I also cleaned up the power steering pump pulley and threw a coat of black on it. Finally I did all my mods to the fuel sending unit. I put Leroy's Metrum Rod on it and installed the barbed fittings for my new fuel hoses. View attachment 44593View attachment 44594View attachment 44595View attachment 44596View attachment 44597
Tell me about it, I put some things in black garbage bags on different shelves, I spend way too much time looking for crap.

I need to check your thread....how's your rebuild coming?
I haven't done much for over a week, another vehicle and the brakes on my 4wd tractor took precedence.

I have all my aluminum parts cleaned and painted, they were shined up nicely but any grease/oil seems to stick to bare al.
Going to put new valve stem seals in then install heads soon.

Are going to run a Raptor or ?. I just remembered to ask when I saw the FSU fittings. Have you got the FSU back in the tank?

Are going to run a Raptor or ?. I just remembered to ask when I saw the FSU fittings. Have you got the FSU back in the tank?
Yeah, I bought a Raptor from you last fall and it's going to finally get installed this week. I didn't install the FSU yet, I was going to do that part of the install tonight.

Oh and I love that color, Kind of more what I had in mind for mine. I think I might have to go buy a can :)

OK just asking cause in pic the Metrum Rod looks long. Did you test fit it?
As always if you have questions feel free to call me.

OK just asking cause in pic the Metrum Rod looks long. Did you test fit it?
As always if you have questions feel free to call me.
Yeah I test-fit it last night and I have about 3/16" of clearance to the bottom of the tank with the o-ring in place. I appreciate your on-call status, thanks Leroy! However, I feel like you may be using that as an excuse as to why it's taking so long to get the P400 done..... ;) Oh and now you're going to repaint parts of it??? Mmmmm hmmmmm.....very fishy.:D

I'm missing the Tahoe! Here's a quick vid I took during lunch....For the last few weeks I've been driving my 94 F150 4x4 with 300 straight six, auto trans, 3.55 gears and 31" tires. It's so slow, some days are worse than others (I've never been able to figure that out despite trying many things), but I got it on a good day today. I miss my 6.5 with HX40!!

Yeah I test-fit it last night and I have about 3/16" of clearance to the bottom of the tank with the o-ring in place. I appreciate your on-call status, thanks Leroy! However, I feel like you may be using that as an excuse as to why it's taking so long to get the P400 done..... ;) Oh and now you're going to repaint parts of it??? Mmmmm hmmmmm.....very fishy.:D
I got a can of cast iron paint today while out running errands.

Stupid me, I thought I had the water pump here ready to go, but no! I had to get another one coming. Waiting on that before I can update my build.
Gives me a short time to mess with my VW TDI in my S10 though :)

I got a can of cast iron paint today while out running errands.

Stupid me, I thought I had the water pump here ready to go, but no! I had to get another one coming. Waiting on that before I can update my build.
Gives me a short time to mess with my VW TDI in my S10 though :)
That sounds like a fun project! I stumbled across that in another area once but didn't follow it. Sounds like it's time to follow another thread...:rolleyes:

Finally got some fuel supply work done. The tank is in, the remote filter and Raptor are mounted. I just need to get some 1/2 NPT x 1/2 barb futting to finish that part. image.jpgimage.jpg

Nice! How will that pump effect the fuel return flow if at all?
I have no idea, maybe Leroy can speak to that? I bought a roll of Goodyear biofuel rated 5/16" hose so I can run an all new return line in addition to the new 1/2" supply line. The original lines were getting pretty crusty so I wasn't far from a leak.

Thats a sweet looking setup Nate! I'm a bit jealous, but I can't complain, as my OE Delco pump seems to be taking care of business for now. Like the Raptor. :)

Matt

Thats a sweet looking setup Nate! I'm a bit jealous, but I can't complain, as my OE Delco pump seems to be taking care of business for now. Like the Raptor. :)

Matt
Thanks Matt. Yeah if I didn't have these parts already I probably would have just put the engine in with the existing fuel system in place since mine was still working ok. These parts certainly would have been on the wish list though, so it's nice that it will be done. Besides the extra fuel flow and pressure, the peace of mind of a new fuel system will be nice as well.

Won't affect the return rate of fuel as long as PSI at IP is set to 9-15 psi (on DS4). Not sure what would happen if you keep bumping it up though.

Back