• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Oh and I got some more goodies today...I thought since they'd been in service for a year I might as well have the injectors checked out. I also had them reset the pop pressure to 2500psi per Buddy's recommendation. I told him my combo and he thought that would work well for me. Diesel Injection Service said they had no problem getting them to pop that high. I can't wait to get this thing together! Oh and of course got a new injector installation kit. image.jpgimage.jpg

I knida like the look on the pan and valve covers. Gives it the rough and tumble look. Really wonder how much it helps the sound. Also wandering about if the exhaust pipe itself were painted with that...

I knida like the look on the pan and valve covers. Gives it the rough and tumble look. Really wonder how much it helps the sound. Also wandering about if the exhaust pipe itself were painted with that...
Yeah I'm digging it too. With the cast iron gray paint I think it should look tough.

Yeah it will be interesting to see if it helps any, I will be sure to report. Interesting thought on the exhaust. I think this stuff is good to 500F so I guess it would work past the downpipe maybe. Hmmmm

Wrapping the exhaust works a bit, but traps moisture against it so that's a no-go in my book.

Yeah that's no good. When I was researching stuff to do to our Class C RV, an engine builder told me about White Lightning exhaust coating from Swain Tech. I'm not sure how much noise it would hold in, but he told me that it really keeps heat inside the tubes. I never did do it (we got a travel trailer to pull behind the Tahoe instead of keeping the Class C), but if I ever do my own tube headers and custom crossover for the Tahoe I'll definitely be using the White Lightning.

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/race-coating-descriptions/white-lightning-exhaust-coatings/

. . . White Lightning exhaust coating from Swain Tech. I'm not sure how much noise it would hold in, but he told me that it really keeps heat inside the tubes.

Am headed in that direction as well. Am not counting on any sound deadening from the ceramic, just retention of heat. Currently have paint on the firewall forward parts and plan is to coat the exhaust pipe under the cab a bit for keeping heat from baking the heater hoses.

If funds remain a concern, an option is to go with VHT. Time issues forced me to go with VHT on the exhaust manifolds, crossover, and downpipe where it is doing a respectable job. Wanted to send the exhaust components out to Swain Tech, but the repower project just did not work out to let me.

Still need to install the FTE and it will get a ceramic coating from Swain Tech.

Goal for the Burb is to move all of the exhaust components over to White Lightning as soon as Leroy stops making a career out his P-400 reconstruction and gets to a working prototype of the front crossover configuration. :D

So, what do you fit it in?
I already did a battery relocation when I did the HX40 install so at first it will be in the open but soon I will be making a custom air box behind the passenger side headlight.

Unless you're going with a different turbocharger, there's not a lot to gain in going center mount. The OEM BW unit isnt the best starting place.

Pretty sure the van/Hummer intake manifold also has different bolt angles than the truck heads. Would at least have to redrill or build a shim to get proper bolt clamping without side loading the bolt head. Don't quote me on that though, the gray matter is getting a little dodgey these days.

;)

Yes, bolt angles are different so you need to redrill the stock 6.5 intake or use the van stuff and make it custom, that's what I am doing.

That airfilter while big is a restriction on a 4 stroke 6.5td for anything over highway cruising IMHO you need more cfm flow capacity. SEE: https://dynamic.donaldson.com/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?item=14043
Yeah I found that info too while searching for a filter. I wasn't too concerned because I didn't really understand what they were showing with the 3 different ratings and I found this filter because it's what Powerstroke and Cummins guys are running. I'll do some with and without filter testing to see if I can feel a difference and I may even plumb a vacuum gauge in the intake between the filter and turbo to see if I'm drawing a huge vacuum due to filter restriction.

Today's goodies: I got the trans back with the triple disc, billet converter and I had the accessory brackets and lower intake sandblasted.

For progress I did the Feed The Beast. I slightly ported the fuel inlet of the FFM because that looked restrictive too (hard to see in the pics). I put a new filter and o-rings from Leroy while I was at it too.

I think my schedule will be looking better next week and I should be hitting it hard again. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back