• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Big No No by VW and AUDI

This is odd to say, but the older (pre 2005) TDI engines needed less costly maintenance. I worked with a guy that had a VW Rabbit that had 455K and still got over 50 mpg.
Yes it was a little louder, and wasn't very quick, but it ran like a champ.
I guess one cannot say that about the newer TDI's.
I wonder if he still drives it?

The big thing is the DSG needing flushed every 40k, which is a $300 service. The timing belt & service at 120k is reportedly $2k out the door...

Yikes! 2K for a timing belt? WTF ????

After all the hubub, the CEO for VW steps down. He did say they were sorry.
Not sure if he was sorry for what happened, or sorry they got caught!

Timing belt is $1200, plus the DSG flush and other services that are normally $700 ish.

You can do them all yourself, but it's a time and money thing. My dad puts a lot of miles on that Passat, and I don't have a full day to f*** around and do the work properly. The DSG flush is a real PITA from what I've seen. Oil & filter isn't bad, but if you really amortize the costs of the services out, it's not that much worse than $30 @ Jiffy Lube every 3-4k.

The big thing is the DSG needing flushed every 40k, which is a $300 service. The timing belt & service at 120k is reportedly $2k out the door...

2k.. Holy crap.

I need to sell this thing then. The car isn't worth but $13-14K right now. I can't see putting 2K in a car for a maintenance item.

I think your going to see a loss in resale value pretty soon unfortunately. Too many people will be dumping them instead of waiting to get the update. Dealerships other than VW will get anxious about taking them in on trade. Person to person sales will hold the same value, for a while.

I think UNflashed ones will actually have HIGHER resale value in private party sales if the reflash does as they say and lowers power and MPG. Trade in value will drop, but I foresee private party values staying about the same as those who want them will continue to want them. And those who are really after MPG already have been deleting them. The downside will truly be diesel as a whole. A many articles have stated, VW had finally started to break the 80's diesel stigma that had such a stranglehold here in the US, but now all these articles are refocusing people's attention onto the invisible toxins you cannot see. So now diesels are getting screwed twice. Were getting raped if we let out ANY black smoke, and now were getting the death penalty even if they can't see it just because it's a diesel. Thanks to one manufacturers attempt at skirting the rules, the WHOLE INDUSTRY is going to get a HUGE hit backwards. The rumors are already flying as to GM will go forward with the diesel CANYON/COLORADO or not, and I've seen several bashing BMW and MB even though there diesels have been proven to meet the emissions even under normal driving conditions, but it's guilt by diesel association.

Funny the timing of this when VW just opened an engine plant in Russia...

Talk about a mess. So far the States and EPA have not taken any drastic action which is a good thing.

Scuttlebutt is that the recent 'fixed code' slightly improved C02 did not really change anything regarding NOx, so highly likely that more changes are coming. And this time the EPA is probably going to get independent real-world results prior to accepting VW's recall plan.

The article I caught about Winterkorn's resignation was that he stepped down despite having no prior knowledge of the emissions issue. If this is true, it is a rare demonstration of moral leadership.

Heard an article this morning that EPA is starting to re-think how they measure diesel emissions. Will see where this goes and within the realm of possibilities is that states might have to start tail-piping diesels versus OBD-II checks. Two possible up-sides to tail-piping are:
> eliminates the subjective 'smog test' and applies actual standards.
> States tend to exempt vehicles with historic / vintage / antique registrations and the entire class of 6.5 vehicles will soon qualify.

Long term, given GM and Toyota recovered from their QC-cooking-of-the-books and Hyundai recovered from its fuel economy fiasco, so VW will recover too.

But yeah, what a mess . . .

All non cdl diesels are tail piped on dyno here. Used to be weight class cut off at 10,000- but that's gone, now all. Mine was exempt due to full time 4wd, Untill a place that can do that opened up a couple years ago.

I never got how obd port reading couldn't be fooled, tail pipe can also by fresh air pump intrusion.

Manufacturers did air pumps, think back to the 70's and 80's where virtually every V8 had one or 2 smog pumps on it. And the EPA re-evaluating how they measure diesel emissions will most likely end BADLY! They will only tighten the standards and make it even worse. With all of the coal roller laws out now, now they have set there sights on the invisible emissions that can't be seen, and spreading panick through the public about how the invisible emissions are even worse. This will be another nail in the coffin for diesels as a whole in the US.

Winterkorn's resignation

He was in trouble before this mess came up. So final nail in his GTFO invite from VW. Don't be fooled it had anything to do with punishing anyone who had their hands on the emissions scandal.

Back