• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 chevy crew cab freon capacity

Putting all 8oz in the compressor is your problem. You should only put 2-3oz MAX in a compressor.
I thought so see i like coming here for help ive had others tell me oh its fine jist put it in compressor yea not anymore 3 in compressor 2 in condensor and 2 in accumulator and 1 in evaporator or whatever other way

Hah it's the only i i have.. and i still dont know much about it. I only got it to buy r12 30 years ago..
Me too. It was a class that the Montana DOT put us through, MACS or some such. I still have the certificate in My resume materials. Did a couple of AC units shortly after the course, then, such a long span of time before the next one, forgot most of what they taught and had to go get out the book to get it all figured out again.
One thing I do remember, the closer that the temp is on the in and out pipe of the condenser, the better the AC will perform. I think the book was saying not over 10 degrees difference. You might want to look that up, been too much bridge under the water since those days. 😹😹😹

Yup, it was MACS. Same thing here- got it so we could buy r12 legally. The parts houses put it on and paid for it! Haha
That was where I learned r12 is bigger molecules than 134a and that’s why it will always leak through the hoses. Also learned the 1/3 difference of thermal exchange. We spoke about if the two coils were both able to put out 1/3 more heat than they do, the r134a would cool as well as the r12. So many years later learned about the coating from Techline that do the 30-35% increase.

I have to dig out an old cert for something at work, I wonder if I still have the MACS cert...

Need to know outside temperature at the time as well.
Here is a couple charts to point a target
Idk if a manual has spec chart for the truck or not. When I did it onntrucks years ago I found specs and had a cheat sheet but have long since lost my notebooks.
9B8EF0D2-7996-44AC-8054-E3F77472AAF6.png182C0465-D9A9-4271-AD8B-17471A96E352.pngC91C82CD-A2EB-4A57-BF06-D1DF543C53BD.png

So if the first picture it was 65 outside, 25 low and 170 high...
The low is barely in the range but on low part of it, and high is too high.
So restricted valve would be my guess.

How far down did you vacuum it and for how long? Did you replace the dryer?

Back