• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 chevy crew cab freon capacity

Yea whats crazy is i can fix customers ac but wjen ot comes to my own yea right 2 weeks max
Seems everything in a rig is like that. I think because I say what has to happen, recommend what else should happen and let them know what to expect down the road. And there is no consequences for me so I think with a clear head. Then when it is me paying for the parts or deciding it absolutely has to be down for "x" time- it's like what I want impedes proper mechanical reasoning.

Something like an accused person being their own lawyer being a fool?

1st 2 pics are of the high pressure cutout switch(should open around 400-430, unfortunately many popoffs open at 385), 3rd pic is your clutches flyback diode, 4th is clutch cycling switch(should open at 18-22, and close at 45-50), and the 5th is your high pressure low pressure activated switch(forces the ac to recirc mode at 325 on the high side, it opens at 200 to allow outside air again).

That blue inline splice by your high pressure switch bypassed it rendering it useless leaving only your popoff to vent pressure. As to AC Delco parts, I refuse to install them. They have four seasons build most of there older stuff now, so you're paying extra for entry level aftermarket parts. GPD ONLY gor most everything I do. That ac delco compressor will fail and belly leak, its not if, but when, but GPD pins them so they don't move, and fail. And the debris on your orifice us because you ran it on only 2 cans, and starved your compressor of oil. When charging, you have to charge quickly to avoid this kind of damage. And modern condensers CANNOT be flushed, replacement is MANDATORY after this kind of failure.

Last edited:
The pictures and the explanation above of the high pressure switch connector shorted out is why the vent blew. Good pictures BTW that helped find the problem. Jaw dropping "Why?" but, I rather not know why the PO did that...

Umm, "The switch is bad and I can't afford a new switch, I'll just wire a jumper around it, it really doesn't do anything, anyway. . ."

Umm, "The switch is bad and I can't afford a new switch, I'll just wire a jumper around it, it really doesn't do anything, anyway. . ."
Not like it's there to stop a smokeshow and eminent compressor failure because your fan clutch was a little slow to engage. I understand peoples frustration with GM for choosing to put the hpco switch in so you can't change it without evacing the system, but it is there for a reason.

Did you drain the new compressor of oil to see how much it came pre filled with? Also did you add all 8 oz of oil to the compressor? You may have overfill the system or loaded the compressor up with too much oil.

Most new compressors come pre filled. You should drain the old one, record the amount drained, then drain the new compressor and add the same amount drained from the old one back into the new one. Then you take that amount away from the 8oz capacity and that's your remaining oil amount to be added. I usually add the remaining amount into other areas of the system so the compressor don't get damaged from trying to pump all 8oz at once.

1st 2 pics are of the high pressure cutout switch(should open around 400-430, unfortunately many popoffs open at 385), 3rd pic is your clutches flyback diode, 4th is clutch cycling switch(should open at 18-22, and close at 45-50), and the 5th is your high pressure low pressure activated switch(forces the ac to recirc mode at 325 on the high side, it opens at 200 to allow outside air again).

That blue inline splice by your high pressure switch bypassed it rendering it useless leaving only your popoff to vent pressure. As to AC Delco parts, I refuse to install them. They have four seasons build most of there older stuff now, so you're paying extra for entry level aftermarket parts. GPD ONLY gor most everything I do. That ac delco compressor will fail and belly leak, its not if, but when, but GPD pins them so they don't move, and fail. And the debris on your orifice us because you ran it on only 2 cans, and starved your compressor of oil. When charging, you have to charge quickly to avoid this kind of damage. And modern condensers CANNOT be flushed, replacement is MANDATORY after this kind of failure.
I shut system off when I put the 2 cans in and didn't run it again. How do I fix the hi pressure switch plug on back of compressor?

Did you drain the new compressor of oil to see how much it came pre filled with? Also did you add all 8 oz of oil to the compressor? You may have overfill the system or loaded the compressor up with too much oil.

Most new compressors come pre filled. You should drain the old one, record the amount drained, then drain the new compressor and add the same amount drained from the old one back into the new one. Then you take that amount away from the 8oz capacity and that's your remaining oil amount to be added. I usually add the remaining amount into other areas of the system so the compressor don't get damaged from trying to pump all 8oz at once.
It came with no oil in it I put 8oz in it

And I spun clutch by hand.

It came with no oil in it I put 8oz in it
I haven't seen many compressors come completely dry. Not even acdelco's I've done were dry. And there is a bulletin to swap out from pag150 to pag46 with the ht6 compressor. Pag150 when cold was found to be getting caught in the evap, and not making it back to the compressor.

I haven't seen many compressors come completely dry. Not even acdelco's I've done were dry. And there is a bulletin to swap out from pag150 to pag46 with the ht6 compressor. Pag150 when cold was found to be getting caught in the evap, and not making it back to the compressor.
It came empty I made sure and there was no oil in it

Back