• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 k2500 followed me home

plumbtuf

Reaction score
So this truck followed me home. Much to the displeasure of my wife. My one ton is down right now and in need of a engine. I had literally just dropped off the 6.2 at the machine shop when I seen this truck on Craigslist. They just don't understand the idea of bringing home another broken truck .😃. It's clean. I will post up more pictures later.
ThxIMG_20190420_123831747_HDR.jpgIMG_20190420_101354328_HDR.jpgIMG_20190420_101338145_HDR.jpg

Yeah, the PO did the head gaskets , and never could get it to run . They bought it as a non running project. And now it's to me the same way. From what they described it could be the pump or driver, thou if it's possible I know less about those than I do the db2. I am thinking I will use my att and other parts off of the dually on this. Just not sure if I want to put the moose Jr pump on there. Descions , descions.
Thx

Someone had major problems like blown headgasket (which in a 6.5 means high probability of cracked cylinder walls and or cracked heads) and sold it. Then the new owners: they rebuilt part of the engine, couldn’t get it running right, and undoubtedly threw more extra parts at it, and sold it.
There is no way I would try adding any high quality expensive parts on it if it were “see if it runs scenario”.
Rip the engine out, and see exactly what you have.

If they couldn’t get it, why think anything they did is right?
You’re 100% they knew to not reuse the headbolts?, and how to measure timing chain slack?

My preference: pull it.
Extra work, yes. New set of head gaskets and headbolts or studs, yes, 1 tube of permetex, yes. And IF everything else is correct then inside the engine, it goes back together and you know you will have a good long life from it. However, anything they did wrong that you find instantly makes it worth it.

If you dont pull it apart: compression test, leakdown test, coolant system pressure test. But i still would run it with existing turbo and everything else for several hundred miles before adding parts like ATT that if the engine lets go because they put it together wrong, and destroying a good turbo.

Just my 2c

Will L, I have these other parts that Iam talking about laying around that were on the motor in my dually. The key way on the crank wore , moved shifted etc.It got pulled. That 6.2 is at the machine shop now. I think what will happen is that the 6.2 liter will go into the new truck. I have the original 599 from the dually that can go back in at a later date.( into the dually) .That being said, the main thing i need to consider is too convert to the moose jr pump or get a rebuilt ds4. I wasnt a huge fan of how smoky the ATT and moose pump where together.

Yeah, my concern was if they didn’t do the engine right that it could take out everything.

ATT doesn’t spool enough at the lower rpm for the large amount of fuel. That is an advantage of ds4 program- not over fueling at low rpm. Puff limiter, qsv, exterior wastegate, or like warwagon a higher stall speed torque converter for the db2 is needed for better manners on the street.

At this point, I think I will be putting the 6.2 in the truck with the att. I will keep the moose pump for the dually or sell it and the pump. Who does a good rebuilt pump for the ds4? It will get a tune later , as I am quickly getting a light wallet .

pulled some codes tonight out of curiosity. They are 36,78,93,94,95,98. Looked them up , havent quite figured out what they mean. Bad pump? PMD? Flux Capacitor?

Tonight I got the truck running. Kind of running. Pushes out alot of white smoke and real rough idle. Couple of things of note, the turbo is not spinning at all,and seems to have an ominous noise from #2. I never thought the truck would run out right, and do plan on putting the rebuilt 6.2 in it . This exercise is more to figure out the ds4 . Would a bad pmd allow the truck to run this poorly , or is this type of description lean more towards the whole pump, when combined with the codes that I pulled a couple of nites ago. Now I did run the engine without the belt on ,so i dont know, if that would affect anything other than the tach ?

Nothing to much to report. Have ordering parts and waiting for the machine shop to get done. Kinda the basic stuff pmd relocation kit, fuel pump. Have a rebuilt injection pump on the way. The only real concern that I have is with the turbo, will the att perform better with the ds4 and a tune ? When towing its great. I just dont tow that often and its kinda laggy when not doing so. Would a kit from PT wiring be good ? Or do you guys think the tune would help?
Thanks

It will help some. Disadvantage of a big turbo is laggy bottom end and great top end. Everything is a trade-off there is no perfect turbo. Heavier your truck and the lower you are in elevation the better the big turbos work. If your a light to light kinda guy not so much.

This is why VGT turbos were invented, trying to get one turbo that can do it all. Or go with sequential turbos to get the best of both turbo's characteristics.

So finally got the motor back from the machine shop and installed and it sure sounds good cranking away. Just wont start. I think its a timing issue, probably ip gears wrong because the numbers that i see on the scan tool are way off. If i remember right actual was shown at 35 . so have a problem someplace.will start pulling front back off motor tomorrow after i pick up the wife from hospital. I wanted to have it running before she got home but that is not going to happen.

Back